Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bus tickets for Charity

Options
  • 01-02-2004 5:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭

I'm not sure what board this is best in so I am going to cross post in Feedback/Volunteerism.

If the either feel it belongs elsewhere please move/delete with my sincerest apologies.

It strikes me how much money I, as an irregular bus user, generate in bus refund tickets on Dublin Bus.

Because of busy work hours and laziness I never ever reclaim them and I suspect that most people are the same.

I'm proposing an ongoing drive amongst boards users to collect these tickets from friends, family and co-workers to pool and reclaim for a worthy cause.

I would nominate Crumlin and Temple St. Childrens hospital. I've already managed about 10 euros with a survey of family and friends and work colleagues. Consider the amount that end up in the wash, this really may be worth the effort.

Anyone else think we could get an ongoing collection fro boards members to collect and donate maybe 2-3 times a year? any violunteers with logistics?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Excellent idea syke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

Brilliant Idea, there must be a fortune floating about out there, you should mention it to Dev and see if an announcement can be made.

Stickied

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

I PM'd Dev but alas he's not been on yet :)

I'm gonna try sort out some logistical system tomorrow.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭star gazer

It would be a good way of getting the money to some use, instead of Dublin bus getting money for nothing like they do at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,150 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I've been thinking of this for months to be honest. has anyone made any progress with it? I'd like to help out on this!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I think I read something in one of the papers that Dublin Bus has to give this money to Charity as it is not there money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Enii

I think the Amnesty shop in Temple Bar take in bus tickest as donations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭arrietty

Dub13 wrote:
    I think I read something in one of the papers that Dublin Bus has to give this money to Charity as it is not there money.

Sadly, I really don't think so. AFAIK, their policy is that it's their damn money until it's reclaimed, since they do request customers to give exact change.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭Misty Moon

There are containers in Tesco shops to collect refund bus tickets - they go to the Tesco charity of the year, think it's local hospices this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 guliolopez

You could also post your change tickets to Barnardos:
    Barnardos, Merchants Hall, 25-26 Merchants Quay, Dublin 8.

http://www.barnardos.ie/frmoneyfornothing.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

Do those tickets expire, or are the valid forever.
    Could yield very big potential liabilities if everyone claimed ten years down the line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

They expire after a set period, can't remember what it is, mind you. It always annoys me how difficult it is to cash these things in. They must be making a fortune from the unclaimed tickets.

But sure just go into OConnell Street and claim the money back

And how should I get into OConnell Street?

THE BUS!!!

Crafty b*stards.......

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,275 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

They do donate to charity.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭BJC

"According to Dublin Bus over 150 million passenger journeys will have taken place on their buses this year. If even one in every 15 of these journeys is undertaken by someone without the exact change and who pays 10 cent over the going rate, the surplus to Dublin Bus is over €1 million this year alone."

It's estimated that there is between 8 and 12 million euro in change that dublin bus always has at its disposal at any given moment as they are legally bound to pay out if anyone presents a genuine refund ticket. So Dublin bus can't spend that money and they also told UK concern that they wouldnt give the money from last years tickets (about 1 mil) over as charity.

But lets not forget Dublin Bus donates 250,000 euro anually to various charities and that isnt refund tickets, thats just cash.

I reckon if you want to donate, save the tickets up yourself, exchange them for cash and then donate yourself. I have a bundle in my desk of about 15 euro with Trocaire's name on it!

Oh, and the refund tickets never expire!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭one2one

Any refund tickets which are not exchanged are donated by Dublin Bus as far as I know. I enquired about it a few years ago and I was told that they donate the uncollected change tickets to numerous charities.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Age Action

I agree with the general consensus that this money is not Dublin Bus's. But the problem is that many of us (count me in) are too lazy to do anything about it.

Age Action also collects these tickets. There is a collection bin in our Camden Street shop (30/31 Lower Camden St) and a bus stop outside! So, if you get off outside our shop with your change receipt, please consider dropping it in to us.

Many charities are doing this as it provides bus users with a way of putting their change to good use, and is a valuable means of fund raising for charities. In the current economic climate, funding has never been as badly needed and never been as hard to raise.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭cassid

Irish Premature Babies also collect tickets, they use the money to go towards buying equipment for the Neonatal Intensive Care Units.

So many good causes that are taking the tickets now

Advertisement