Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

strange floating child in the background advert for lard

Options
  • 09-01-2004 12:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭

"give em a lift-
    give em a lift-
    give em a lift wooo-oooo
    and Cookeen"

For some reason the makers of this ad for lard had an english schoolboy float up behind his pals during a school photo as that jingle from the mind of a genius played away.
    I'd say it was around 1986-88.

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I liked that Cooken jingle and the ads ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭turnback

i used to get it sung at me - it sounds like my name.
    bad memories

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

A candidate for the "Most surreal thread title" award?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 fordzodiac

turnback wrote: »
    "give em a lift-
    give em a lift-
    give em a lift wooo-oooo
    and Cookeen"

For some reason the makers of this ad for lard had an english schoolboy float up behind his pals during a school photo as that jingle from the mind of a genius played away.
    I'd say it was around 1986-88.

that child was me, though how to ever see this advert again i don't know ? nice that you remember it.
    oh the year was 1975

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 fordzodiac

that advert for Cookeen , where boy in class was in 1975. i should know as i was that boy, i actually ate mars bars as the pasty was making me reach. i would love to see that advert again and get a copy but i guess that never happen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭turnback

my god! what do u do now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Yeah I remember that ad vaguely. I seem to recall the tune was similar to the Adams family theme tune.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

turnback wrote: »
    i used to get it sung at me - it sounds like my name.
    bad memories

hmmm... I cant make Turnback rhyme with cooken no matter how many times i say it !! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭DEVEREUX

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 benny70

Hi I remember a similar Cookeen ad from the mid 70s. Again it it involves an English Schoolboy. This time it is set in a classroom where the boy eats something cooked in lard and then floats up from his desk. The teacher confiscates the food, but takes a bite as well and also starts floating.

Hilarious!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Archeron

I used to sing this at people too. Its a good random thing to do :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I loved that tune and hadn't though of it for years.

Even then you could tell that they probably wrote the tune but were completely stuck with the timing until somebody slapped in the woo-oo bit. :D

Advertisement