Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how many post codes in dublin

Options
  • 02-12-2003 5:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭

I need to find out how many codes -
    which are north side innercity and southside

i know odd are north even south - but city?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

all i know there is 24 of them and dublin 6 is split in two to dublin6 and dublin6w

don't know if that helps buts it's all i know

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭beardedchicken

the numbers increase the further you get outside the city centre, so north inner city is dublin 1, south inner city is dublin 2, righ tup to dublin 24, which includes tallaght, firhouse, etc....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭dazberry

Originally posted by egan007
    I need to find out how many codes -
    which are north side innercity and southside

i know odd are north even south - but city?

D1 - North City
    D2 - South City

As you move down the quays
    D1 becomes D7
    D2 becomes D8
    ... and you don't have to go very far to reach either.

The only anomoly is Cunningham Rd (and AFAIK ~the~ couple of addresses in the phoenix park) which are D8 too, even though they are on the Northside.

Also there aren't actually 24 codes, because the codes don't go up to 23 on the Northside, I think they only go up to 17. Counting (as Cr3mo mentioned) 6 and 6w as 1, I think there are only 21 codes in total.

Since the codes are (steady yourselves :D) postal codes, beyond the D8 example above they're full of anomolies, because of postal disputes (or other) in the past, such as some of Leopardstown being Blackrock even thou' geographically its not. Also you may have noticed that as soon as you leave D4 on the south east you enter Co. Dublin, whereby on the northside, you enter D5, and then D13.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

i'm impressed with your knowledge of post codes! (a little scared!)
    thanks for the info
    (any idea if there is a map of them online?)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Dunno if they're online but they are in the back of the phonebook.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,258 ✭✭✭✭Victor

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

Originally posted by Victor
    http://members.boards.ie/victor/dub11.gif

Perfect - many thanks

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

quite a usefull pic! printing as we speak

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭query

I trust you were all at the recent Postcode Symposium in the Gresham about introducing UK style postcodes to all of Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭Walter Ego

Don't get too excited about the prospect of postcodes in Ireland just yet.

It has taken about 25 years for th UK Post office to educate the British public in the use of postcodes.

Can you picture it here? We can't even get roadsigns pointing in the right direction.

:(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

IIRC Postcodes in the UK were introduced in WW I cos so many post men went off to the front. And to simplify things they were done alphabetically rather than logically.

Also postcodes identify the sorting office rather than the county / city or country, and lots of people in the UK still don't realise that complaing to the Post Office when they can't get a Welsh Channel 4 card because they have an English post code (nearest sorting office remember) even though they live in Wales..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

Originally posted by agent smith
    quite a usefull pic! printing as we speak

its in the back of the phone book for ppl who dont have printers...

• Registered Users Posts: 78,258 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Big Chief
    its in the back of the phone book for ppl who dont have printers...
    It is just before the government services section this year.

Advertisement