Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IS Irish TV of the past neglected? We need fansites, DVDs etc

Options
  • 02-11-2003 9:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭

Does anybody think that unlike the BBC and ITV, RTE's treatment/attitude towards their old programmes is inadequate.

What I am trying to say is that scant mention is paid to the likes of Anything Goes, Bosco, Wanderly Wagon, Youngline, Dilin O'Deamhnas, Fortycoats, Baile Beag, Lug etc etc - that's just the kids stuff

- no repeats
    - no retrospective programmes - bar the 40 year stuff last year which really wasn't up to much
    - no fansites on the internet bar the measly Wanderly Wagon effort.
    - no dvd or video releases

I am sure that a lot of people of my age, (31) grew up with this and remember it fondly. Wouldn't it be nice to see an Irish version of I Love 197x / 198x- I know we have Reeling In The Years but that's a different slant.

- and those public information films / advertisements from the 1970s/1980s - Health Education Bureau etc / water safety / PLAY SAFE - ESB station tomfoolery
    wouldn't it be fantastic to get a DVD with the classic Irish ads compiled onto it

I would love to have access to the RTE Archives for a week - I imagine that there is so much classic stuff in there that is just wasting away

anyone get what I am trying to say?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

if I remember correctly there was an Irish version of I love 18xx/19xx it was hosted by Gay Byrne and took a look at some of old irish tv programs etc...
    It was ok, only watched half of it.
    The only program i'd like to see a repeat of that was on Irish tv was Worzel Gummitch, scared the hell out of me lol and a lot of other people i'm to understand hehe. Was the show Irish or English?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

only program i'd like to see a repeat of that was on Irish tv was Worzel Gummitch, scared the hell out of me lol and a lot of other people i'm to understand hehe. Was the show Irish or English?

Twas English. How could you forget that accent?:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

Originally posted by simu
    Twas English. How could you forget that accent?:)

I was young lol, all I could remember was a scarecrow having an angument with one of it's other heads, while he was holding his current one in mid air with his hands LOL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭eggshapedfred

i think there was an evil scarecrow (aubegene, "oh gee bean") and the scarecrow master lad had to chuck him on a bonfire. scariest thing i ever saw as a kid

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭Silvera

I agree with ya, nlgbbbblth.

I would like to see some of the old RTE programmes on TV again.
    e.g. MT USA !

RTE have a 'Library Sales' department and you can order a video copy of any programme shown on RTE.

(I have contacted them re an Irish Air Corps video but have yet to recieve a reply).

Silvera.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Compare RTE to the BBC. Okay theres no comparison. The BBCs websites are hugely impressive, their range of quality dvds are brilliant and now they are going putting a lot of their tv and radio archives online for free.

The BBC is turning into a cultural preservation organisation and one who shares their resources with everyone.

What does RTE do ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

Even Irish bands who appeared on Irish TV - a cd of say Irish Rock in the 70's, 80's & 90's.

A DVD of these bands of "Anything Goes"?

TV3's Dunphy show has had Mundy, David Kitt, Dave Couse on - RTE needs to have an Irish music TV programme.

It needs to package it's vast achieve onto video, cd & dvd.

No wonder - it is always looking for licence fee increases and not untilising it's vast archieve.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by nlgbbbblth
    Wanderly Wagon
    Some taped over. RTE say they have a "significant" number of the episodes but I doubt it for some reason. There were originally about 80 episodes IIRC. They do have some as they showed one last year in the middle of the night. I may be wrong - as it's a kids show that would have rather limited appeal for today's toof (as opposed to old duffers who want to see some of their old favourites) they may just have chosen not to show them. They certainly don't have them all though. The actual wagon turned up on a back lot a few years back. One of the Lamberts has it now I think.
    Anything Goes
    Like The Den (anyone else remember the problems they had getting their hands on old shows for the ten-year anniversary?), I'm willing to bet that they didn't keep any of them.

They should have most of the Bosco episodes. Certainly the ones made in 1983 and 1985 though I doubt they have all that many of the ones from 1979.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

yeah they should have some Wanderlys knocking about - and if released would be exclusively bought by adults from say 28-45 years old

Anything Goes - you could be right there - like the lack of retention of Dempsey's den

Bosco - I believe there were 150 episodes made between 1979 and 1985 . I know there were a lot made in 1981 too. They should have some of the later ones.

in fairness though - they should look into preserving their archive

I emailed library sales at RTE requesting copies of old programmes/ads

response was
    "Thank you for your Email.

The staff of RTÉ Television Library Sales will deal with your enquiry and
    respond to you as soon as possible.

Priority of Business will be as follows:

1. Broadcasters / Programme Makers

2. Corporate Business

3. Schools / Colleges

4. Requests for copies of RTE Programmes for private viewing by individuals.

Thank You

Library Sales Team"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭evie

Some of Dempseys Den and The Den with Ray d'Arcy was fabulous. When we cam ehome from school my Mum would sit down with me and my sister and laugh her socks off at the antics. Twas great, them were the days.
    Also, Worzel Gummidge scared the crap out of me and I a kid. I remember that bit when he holds up his head to hav an argument with it is burned into my memory.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

"Hello Mr xxxxxxxx

Thank you for your e-mail.Sorry for the delay in
    getting back to you.
    Unfortunately we will not be able to supply
    you with all the material that you are looking for.
    Tha adverts that you are looking for are not held by
    RTE. As for the programme "The Spike", I will have to
    check with our legal department and see if RTE has the
    right to sell it on. There should be no problems with
    the other programmes.
    There is a charge involved for the transfer
    of material to VHS. The charges are as follows;
    Up to 15 mins - 40.00 Euro
    Up to 1 hour - 55.00 Euro
    Up to 2 hours - 65.00 Euro
    I am afraid that our archives are not open to the
    public, therefore any material that you should wish to
    view will have to be purchased.
    Should you wish to continue with your
    request we will need to know exactly what you want and
    to what purpose you wish to use the said material.If
    you have any further questions please contact me,"

I too contacted the RTE archive library re an Irish Navy programme shown back in 1996 and they wanted €55 for a video copy !!!

FFS !

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by nlgbbbblth
    and to what purpose you wish to use the said materia
    At those prices (they've always been that high for specific requests and the BBC charges are similar) you might as well tell them you want to rub yourself, watching old Bosco episodes while sitting in a paddling pool filled to the brim with cornflakes and noodles and wearing a trilby hat.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Blisterman

I saw a show about a year ago. i think Gerry Ryan Presented it. It showed the worst of RTE. Like presenters in blackface, as he said 40 years after the rest of the world decided it wasn't right.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

I agree with nlgbbbblth 100%, but if you want stuff from RTE why should you have to pay for it and doesn't it not come under the Freedom of information act?

Is it just me or did RTE make so many programmes themselves 20-25 years ago compared to now and the 2 channels RTE 1 and RTE2 were only on for 8/9 hours per day, which is a lot of output for such a small station that it was?

Unfortunately they tend to wipe a lot of their stuff so if you wanted a piece that you featured in or something like that, chances are you wouldn't be able to get it - which is a shame.

They should start re-running some classic shows from the past on overnights or else wouldnt it be great to have an "RTE Gold" channel that showed wall-to-wall programes that everyone grew up with and remembered so fondly? Remember we are paying a licence fee!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭sparkite

i say this so often........pity............us irish **** everything up! yeah itd be great to see some of those old programmes.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

forty coats is alive and well and he works in my school!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Nothing to do with being Irish. Except that it's currently popular with Irish people to whinge about their nationality. If you don't like how things are in Ireland, then fix them.

Some of the programmes were made by independent companies.

RTE does repeat quite a bit; I think the Patterns series is on at the moment, for instance, a crafts series made by David Shaw Smith.

If you want fansites, why not start one yourself? Ask anyone who has copies of old Boscos and Wanderlys and Riordans and Brackens and so on to send them in to you, and put up video grabs. You could start a trend.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Blisterman

That's a good point. I'm sure people would lend their tapes for the website.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,924 ✭✭✭Cork

Even music - bands like Light a big fire, power of dreams, Microdisney & Auto Da Fe.

There is a market for material like this.

RTE should really get its act together.

Maybe - if it was not so reliant on public subsidy.

Advertisement