Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fiona Looney annoying The Panal!

Options
  • 14-10-2003 11:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

Reckon their was a great improvement in The Panal this week comedy wise, but why,oh,why is Fiona Loony a recurring theme!? They should just sh***in-well get rid of her! You could actually hear a grown comin from the audience at one point after one of her 'jokes'. She seems to try and get the last word all the time but shes just not funny!! Surely they can find a better female, irish, comedian to take her place? Or does one not exist? Apart from that, I was pleasently surprised with the show this week, just boot Looney out!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Horiahan from the Trib can be funny, she did the last word when it first started out.

But fiona looney is plain annoying she must have a contract with RTE.

Her teeth annoy me the most. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭dod

Fiona Looneys articles in the Tribune are best read first and quickly in order to get them out of the way. I think they are very very poor, but I assume they appeal to somebody....

Anybody out there care to identify what it is that the Tribune pay Fiona Looney for?

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭anthonymcg

She doesnt make jokes she makes observations and they aren't even funny dammit. Looney out!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

Agreed,she has some brutal lines,though it was worse last week I think. With every episode the amount of applause for her dwindles.

I think they should make the long haired dub permanentin her place,he was good with the observational humour(why is there always footage of a culchie driving through a large puddle rofl). I remember him being a guest on dont feed the gondalas years ago and he put in a good performance there as well. Would make a good replacement IMO. I was in stiches with the mental image of old irish strippers in vegas"de ye wanna see these rascals again bejaysus"

And typical of Fianna Fail and O`Rourke,where as usual the question wasnt anwsered and we saw how,despite all that has happened,that few in the party are willing to strongly criticise anything Haughey or Lawlor did:rolleyes: She says Haughey did good things that are forgotten about. Hitler killed millions,but presumably if he led fianna fail they would be more concerned in trumpeting his successful fight against unemployment,grand oul lad so he was:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭weemcd

i take it the crap girl was on the left with the brown hair yes?

IHATE THAT STUPID ****, god sake everyone i know is practically funnier than that stupid woman. I think there should be a petition to get her off the show, because the audiecne goes quiet when she opens her big gob.

other than that i love the pannel's jokes and the way they cover the current stuff in ireland.

but get her off ffs!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭ChumpStain

Yes you are all right about Fiona Looney, she is an idiot with no worthwhile opinions and should be booted off the panel. I also agree that the Dubliner on last night should become permanent. If you had him, Ed Byrne and (Colin Murphy:confused: ) it would be even better IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

She is also a regular on the Gerry Ryan radio show.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭oneweb

http://www.rte.ie/tv/thepanel/panel.html She's the one at the bottom. For a reason I'd imagine. She doesn't even look like she can do humour. (Did RTE think that she'd be funny 'cos of her name?)

Didn't get to see enough of it to comment on Looney. But enjoyed the show with the weatherwoman.

It is what it's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Oswald Osbourne

I think it's all in her delivery.

If she spewed out her little observations with a straight face instead of her constant stupid grin they might be moderately funny. But from her facial expressions alone it's clear that she thinks that every word out of her gob is the funniest thing ever said this side of a Bill Hicks monologue - and that kills the humour before it even hits the open air.

Either that or she's just not funny anyway, which is equally possible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭IgnatiusJRiley

I can't believe this. I was actually just thinking today about how much that bird annoyed me and, hey presto, somebody starts a thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭gollem_1975

I'm in agreement with you as regards Looney ,she needs to be benched for a while ( though she is probably contracted for the entire series ).
    perhaps get someone in who is nice to look at instead??
    female irish comedians , how about the woman who was on bull island .. she is quite funny ( and pleasant enough on the eye imo .. nice rascals anyroad)
    btw :that guy from kilbarrack was hilarious. never seen him b4.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭anthonymcg

Her scriptwriting credits include sketches for The Fast Show (BBC)

Yeah....right. I assume this ended up on the cutting room floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 malteser

yeah she is rather bad. all of the women are!! they should ditch the token woman idea and Ed Byrne!!!!!!!!!!! he never feking shuts up!!! and hes not even funny most of the time just very annoying!! it was brilliant when colin murphy kept taking the piss outta him! he deserved it!! the crap he was coming out with was just cringe worthy!! Neil Delamare is brilliant!!!!!!!!!!
    and what ever happened to Alan Short eh?? by the way does anyone have any idea where i could get tickets to go see the panel?

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mickd

Tha Gopher wrote:
    she says Haughey did good things that are forgotten about. Hitler killed millions,but presumably if he led fianna fail they would be more concerned in trumpeting his successful fight against unemployment,grand oul lad so he was:rolleyes:

That has to be most daft, illogical analogy I have ever read. With people who think like this is it any wonder that we have the likes of Fiona Looney on tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I think we should have a Fiona Looney Fourm.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

malteser wrote:
    they should ditch the token woman idea and Ed Byrne!!!!!!!!!!! he never feking shuts up!!! and hes not even funny most of the time just very annoying!! it was brilliant when colin murphy kept taking the piss outta him! he deserved it!! the crap he was coming out with was just cringe worthy!!

Damn straight, get rid of looney and ed byrne. The rest are fantastic

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭OFDM

This thread is 2 years old and they still haven't got rid of her. At least she wasn't on last season.

Die. Looney. Die.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

who is the ginger lad on the panel? u know the token cultchie? :p
    neway, he ruins the whole show... not funny in the slightest and adds little of productive value. nothing ever intellegent to say and just seems to take up space imo. he should be got rid of, the more he is there, the more im reminded that this show is just the poor mans Have I Got News For You.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

There always has to be a token female and, to my recolection, none have had any useful or funny input. Grainne Seoige comes closest and she's easier on the eye than f***in Looney, but she is also the token 'smart' person and the show doesn't need them. Surely Ireland can rustle up a half decent female comedian. What happened to the Nualas? There was like 3 of those.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

even kathryn thomas was better than FL and she was shoite!
    deirdre o'kane would b good or who was that other wan who used to pop in last series who was funnier than FL... cant think of her name...she wasnt hilarious but she was dam sight better!

• Advertisement

What happened to the Nualas? There was like 3 of those.
    But were they funny...?

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Scraggs wrote:
    deirdre o'kane would b good

Sorry cant agree with ya there but deirdre o'kane is rubbish.Have you seen her stand up. Its awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,993 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Don't know if people knew this already but this might answer the question as to why Fiona Looney is still on tv.

From [url]www.oxygen.ie:[/url]
    It's not easy trying to make a living as a respected writer and wit in Ireland. It's harder still if you can't write to save your life, and your wit is about as blunt as a banana. Like Mondo, Ms Looney is another "celebrity" who has fallen foul of RTE's cunning "we'll make you a mega-star" tactics. In exchange for 90% of the money she gets writing dull opinion pieces for the Sunday Trib, Looney was promised a weekly guest slot on RTE's flagship satire show, The Panel. If only she'd listened to fellow journo Brendan O'Connor's advice: "If Dara O'Briain is doing it, baby, it's just not worth doing..."

Don't know if that's true or not but it would explain a few things.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mickd

Sorry cant agree with ya there but deirdre o'kane is rubbish.Have you seen her stand up. Its awful.
    Have to agree with you there. 99% of her routine is spent slagging off men not that I give a ****e, but she is essentially a bogger woman who thinks she is a comedian. The hilarity of it all!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

In her article yesterday she mentioned "been called a gobsh*ite on the internet", maybe we are getting through to her. She shamelessly plugged her play again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

BolBill wrote:
    In her article yesterday she mentioned "been called a gobsh*ite on the internet", maybe we are getting through to her. She shamelessly plugged her play again.

link? at least she knows now that she is a gobsh*ite!! better not be on tonites show!!

Not everything on oxygen.ie makes sense. for instance:

http://www.oxygen.ie/page/130 -
    "Fiona Looney's a funny woman. As a columnist with the Sunday Tribune and a weekly contributor to The Gerry Ryan Show for more than a decade, she's been making us laugh for some time"

No oxygen.ie, she's been making us cringe for some time.

So bored in work I actually got the article.....she is a f**kin a**hole....how many times can you mnetion your "hit" play!!!!!!

HERE'S the bind of the successful playwright: for over a year, I've been collecting coupons from the back of packets of Odlum's porridge oats with a view to one day exchanging 15 of the precious slips for a single prize bond. I make no apologies for doing this; I am my grandmother's granddaughter and I am unable to pass a special offer, a saving or a six-pack of snacks reduced because it's past its sell-by date. It is what I do.

Anyway, after eating a hell of a lot of porridge and carefully snipping the appropriate amount of plastic, the great day finally dawned about six weeks ago. I put the 15 coupons in an envelope, dutifully enclosed my name and address and dispatched it to Odlums via an industrially restful postal service. And since then, doodly. If there is a prize bond out there with my name on it, it is lost in some void . . . a postal Bermuda triangle, perhaps.

Now, if it weren't for the play, I could phone Odlums up and stamp my feet a bit.

Even if they never received my clipped coupons, my experience of these things (oh yes) is that they'd most likely give me the benefit of the doubt and dispatch the bond post haste. But now I'm not so sure and frankly, I'm mortified to try. Ever since the woman at Customer Services in Dunnes Stores in the Pavilions in Swords gave me a dirty look when I exchanged two pairs of children's pyjamas for two cheaper ones while on a book signing expedition, I've felt the winds of change whip around my legs.

Without being afforded any of the perks of celebrity . . . the money, the Mercs, the minks . . . I have been quietly stripped of the benefits of anonymity. If I ring Odlums now, it's possible that they'll think that a woman with a hit play in the Olympia has no business collecting coupons, and certainly shouldn't be pretending she collected coupons. Whichever way I run it, there's no good outcome to the Odlums conversation.

And anyone who suggests I simply buy a prize bond really doesn't know me at all.

But back to the hit play. I say 'hit' because it's my column and I'm smarting over the whole Odlums affair, but it's certainly true to say that people are being very kind about Dandelions (to me) and a lot of them are going (to it). Even the Irish Times said really nice things about it, which, in spite of my bullish insistence before the event that these things don't matter, was a huge relief to me. It is one thing being called a gob****e on the internet; it's quite another to be dissed in the Irish Times. As it happened, though, they said some stuff which I'm too modest to repeat (though obviously not too modest to have splashed across posters at some point in the future), and threw in a couple of caveats to stop me dying of champagne abuse before Christmas. I remember, years ago, hearing that Chris de Burgh had won a fine case of wine in a bet with a friend over a review of one of his records in the same Irish Times. De Burgh correctly predicted that the review would include the word 'saccharin'. Likewise, in those panicked days before the previews, I made a short list of all the adjectives that might be used to dismiss my labour of love.

In the end, it was 'melodramatic' that won the money. Mind you, that was before we discovered that audiences would laugh at everything in the play . . . including the sad and serious bits . . . and after a frantic and exhausting exercise in cutting out phrases like 'hostile uterus', which were inexplicably bringing the house down, melodramatic seemed like the highest compliment.

I'll stop now. Please go and see it. And if, by a happy coincidence you work in Odlums, could you leave a prize bond for me at the stage door?

Melodic mice GREAT excitement this week over the discovery that mice sing love songs to each other when they are a-wooing. Leaving aside the small fact that Walt Disney actually noticed this 50 years ago, I'm particularly charmed by the further revelation that male mice which are genetically identical will sing completely different songs. We're not told what they might be, but I can assure you that there could be no more heart-melting sight on earth than that of a small mouse singing 'I Predict A Riot' in an impossibly high octave.

Especially in the same week that we learned that the most requested artist on Dogsandcats FM . . . the American radio station designed to please the furry brigade, or at least convince their deluded owners that this is the case . . . is Enya. No wonder the mice always win in the cartoons.

Tidings of roasties and joy NOW that Hallowe'en is put away for another year, The Boy's thoughts have predictably turned to Christmas. He's made a list, he's mis-spelt it twice and he's even volunteered that this year, on condition he gets extra roast potatoes, he'll try the ham.

Normally, I'd resist this unseasonal rush into the festive season, but this year, I really can't muster enough good reasons not to start jingle-belling now. Once The Boy gets fixed on something, he is a force of nature and frankly, I'm too tired to stand in its path. Besides, I quite fancy the idea of a few extra roast potatoes myself, in tandem with a long and lovely rest. Bring it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭penguinbloke

I read it and now I just feel dirty, and not in the good way.

I need a shower...

• Advertisement

I read it and now I just feel dirty, and not in the good way.

I need a shower...

Shield ur eyes from it!!! you will go blind from the pure s**t she is writing about....how eating porridge is a link to her play is beyond me!!

Advertisement