Argos Ireland -v- UK - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

25-08-2003, 15:14   #1
eirebhoy

Argos Ireland -v- UK

I've just been looking at the Argos UK website and saw a huge difference in price compared to Ireland. If you look in your Argos catalogue, pick an item out and type the cat. number into the Argos UK website and you will see the difference.

For example, a leather sofa is €1,699.99 (cat. no 636/3222) in Ireland but in the UK it's £849.99. When I use the currency converter to exchange to Euro I get €1,227.36. That is just under a €500 difference between the UK and Ireland.

This is a disgrace and they shouldn't be getting away with it. Even other items for the same price in the UK are different in Ireland which means they aren't even using a fixed exchange rate.

Last edited by eirebhoy; 25-08-2003 at 15:28.
Advertisement
25-08-2003, 16:22   #2
bloggs

yip, and the UK one won't ship here either
25-08-2003, 17:12   #3
spongebob

and the Argos furniture is disgusting cheap sh1te made from crap quality chipboard. Most of it arrives damaged or with missing bits.

Compare their toasters and kettles willya ?

M
25-08-2003, 17:50   #4
eirebhoy

Quote:
Originally posted by Muck
Compare their toasters and kettles willya ?
I just picked out a kettle and toaster at random.

Toastec 4 slice toaster - Irl = €67.50 - UK = £28.25 (€40.76)

Rowenta Cosmos KE401 kettle - Irl = €49.95 - UK =£29.95 (€43.22)
25-08-2003, 21:49   #5
sceptre
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to sceptre Send a message via Skype™ to sceptre
Quote:
Originally posted by Muck
and the Argos furniture is disgusting cheap sh1te made from crap quality chipboard. Most of it arrives damaged or with missing bits.

It's still the same "disgusting cheap sh1te made from crap quality chipboard" in both markets though.

Interesting price differences on the kitchen appliances though.
Advertisement
25-08-2003, 22:21   #6
Paddy20
Banned

Lets not forget that the Irish VAT is a lot higher than that charged on goods in the UK!.

Also, Ireland is one of the most expensive countries in Europe in which to live. Why, becaue our government has no idea on how too govern properly for the benefit of our citizens.

Therefore, most Irish citizens only have themselves to blame for the high cost of living by voting in the same politial parties as their parents and their parents, parents.

If the vast majority of people gave as much real consideration to which political party they vote for, as they give to which football team they support, we might live in a more equitable fairer society.

Just my 2cs worth.

P.
26-08-2003, 02:48   #7
John R

Irish VAT is not that much higher than UK VAT, 21% as opposed to 17.5%

Those 2 items before VAT:
Toaster: UK: €34.84, IRL: €55.78
Kettle: UK: €36.94, IRL: €41.28

Still a big difference.

Argos have increased their prices alot since they opened up here, they are now about the most expensive chain for electrical goods, add to that the nasty business of the price fixing of childrens toys they were caught out for. All round a bad lot.
26-08-2003, 03:33   #8
michaelpwilson

Argos may not be the Mae West on price for all items, but it can still give other suppliers a run for their money. I bought a Creative Inspire 2.1 speaker set from Argos three days ago for €64.99. The same speaker set could be found in Dixons around the corner for €89.99. So they can still be competitive* - a €25 saving is considerable.

Michael

* Mind you, that wouldn't be difficult with Dixons, who can be total rip-off merchants
26-08-2003, 08:51   #9
tallpaul

I find the most useful thing about Argos is that the catalogue sets out a good range of what is available for what you want to buy i.e. if you want to buy a toaster, you can see all the 'features' of each one and then choose.

You can then shop around for the best price.

Still I have picked up some bargains in there and sure don't the knacks love 'em.
Advertisement
26-08-2003, 11:32   #10
bloggs

Quote:
Originally posted by michaelpwilson
Argos may not be the Mae West on price for all items, but it can still give other suppliers a run for their money. I bought a Creative Inspire 2.1 speaker set from Argos three days ago for €64.99. The same speaker set could be found in Dixons around the corner for €89.99. So they can still be competitive* - a €25 saving is considerable.

Michael

* Mind you, that wouldn't be difficult with Dixons, who can be total rip-off merchants
The mad thing is that Dixons, Currys and Argos, are all run by the same company.
26-08-2003, 11:44   #11
damnyanks

And PC World
26-08-2003, 14:50   #12
sceptre
Administrator

Send a message via MSN to sceptre Send a message via Skype™ to sceptre
I didn't realise Argos was as well. Are they all part of GUS then (GUS being the owners of Argos)?
26-08-2003, 23:30   #13
John R

No they aren't. Argos is owned by GUS http://www.gusplc.com a seperate company from the others mentioned, they are all part of the Dixons group http://www.dixons-group-plc.co.uk/

Of the two of them I would rather shop at Argos (reasonable prices permitting) as they have much better customer service. The amount of crap I had to deal with when returning faulty product at PC world was unbelievable and I have heard many others say the same about Dixons as well.
27-08-2003, 00:33   #14
oneweb

Send a message via Yahoo to oneweb
John's right (got there before me, too!) An example that Dixons is a rip off is a Belkin 8-gang surge protected socket. around €55 in Argos, exactly the same model in Dixons was €96!!! And it wasn't a mistake 'cos it was that price for quite a while.

It's not fair to say that Argos is a rip-off over other retailers. The only reason you might do is quite simply because you have a list of everything with prices right in front of you. If you were to do a comparison with stores such as Dixons, Currys, Smyths Toys, Roches Stores et al, you'd find that prices differ, but both upwards and downwards depending on each product. In fact, Argos often price-checks competitors.

Also, it's important to note that Argos is a convenience-based shopping environment and consequently you should expect to pay a little bit more for that convenience (ie, you see it in the catalogue without having to traipse around a big store, you can make sure it's in store and even reserve it).

As for the flat-pack furniture, you get what you pay for (as with any flat-pack). Plus, if you build it so the drawers go in upside-down or the sides don't join - you can't entirely blame the furniture can you? There's a tiny bit of knack that goes into them.

Anyway, it's not just Argos - it's all the English retailers who are guilty of higher prices. Just look at shops like the Jeans Scene, D2 and other clothing stores and you can often see the UK£ and IE€ beside each other with a big difference upon conversion. As a matter of fact, the Burton Group was accused not so long ago for it's excessive inflation of prices over here.

Sure, they might say VAT and transport are the main reasons, but don't forget - it's because people are willing to pay the high prices that they continue to rise, just as with Irish-based stores.

heh, guess what!

Last edited by oneweb; 27-08-2003 at 00:39.
27-08-2003, 13:04   #15
spongebob

Quote:
Originally posted by oneweb
Also, it's important to note that Argos is a convenience-based shopping environment and consequently you should expect to pay a little bit more for that convenience (ie, you see it in the catalogue without having to traipse around a big store, you can make sure it's in store and even reserve it).

As for the flat-pack furniture, you get what you pay for (as with any flat-pack). Plus, if you build it so the drawers go in upside-down or the sides don't join - you can't entirely blame the furniture can you? There's a tiny bit of knack that goes into them.
2 Fair points about Argos there. Roches could easily have launced an Argos 'catalogue and convenience' retail model in Ireland themselves ....and done it years ago.

The smaller flat pack stuff (a locker say) would probably be OK but the larger flatpack stuff like Wardrobes is packed and handled (by the Van drivers) in a manner that ensures that it is HIGHLY unlikely to make it to the delivery address intact. Thats assuming all the bits are there too. It is disgusting rubbish. You cannot ebven see it in the store because they have the large furniture in a warehouse in Dublin.

Then it is a bitch trying to get them back to collect the stuff.

M

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion