Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

It Follows

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'm actually somewhat glad I didn't see this in the cinema: figured I'd wait 'til Halloween, that it might be a suitable candidate to enjoy on the night; kinda glad I did as I'm such a wuss with horror films, watching It Follows in the cinema would have probably sent me crawling up the walls.

No doubt, it's a fantastically tense, creepy film that deserves much of the praise given, but I could never shake the feeling that I was watching a homage to those early John Carpenter productions, rather than something unique to David Robert Mitchell: now, to be fair, the nature of the supernatural threat meant Mitchell brilliantly framed his scenes so we were constantly scanning the background for something sinister walking towards us - in many ways that's the simple genius of the film - but I felt that choice resulted in something aesthetically too close to Halloween, with its own careful shots of suburbia that teased us to look for Michael Myers in the bushes. The synth soundtrack by Disasterpeace & the production design also gave the impression of a deliberate homage, with a single smartphone being the only obvious token of modernity in a film full of cathode-ray TVs and wood paneled station-wagons.

Mind you, it's not something many cinema-goers outside of those with an interest in Horror would pick up on, so I wouldn't hang It Follows on the basis of cribbing a little; imitation being the sincerest form of flattery n' all that. It's also refreshing to see that there are still horror films out there that understand the lingering terror is often the build-up and atmosphere, not necessarily the release & jump scare.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭shazzerman

Fysh wrote: »
    I do agree that the pool scene's tone seemed not to fit well with the rest of the film, but I quite liked the beach scene overall - particularly the bit where It is walking over to Jay and because nobody's looking in that direction you're not sure whether you're seeing a person or It, until it starts playing with Jay's hair, I thought that was really nicely done.

You are also not sure that the person walking towards them is not the friend who spends a lot of time reading on the clamshell thingy (can't remember her name); the director spends some time showing everyone else except her in the first few shots, then, just as the person in the background gets closer, the film cuts to the friend in the water on a lilo...it's not her. Gulp

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

A sequel is in the works!

Genuinely excited to see what they'll do with a sequel, It Follows is one of my all time favourites.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

It's good, but completely overrated

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

I'd personally say it's underrated. Got lots of critical acclaim but viewer feedback was much more mixed. Got nowhere close to the level of mainstream exposure it deserved.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Agreed: I think in years it'll be seen as a modern classic. A real example of how to keep tension and discomfort bubbling away with few jump scares or cheap tactics. Just keep the viewer constantly on edge, scanning every single background actor.

But that's just it: this came out during an era when mainstream Horror was all about jump scares and haunted-house thrill rides. Weirdly, I think if it came out today it'd do better with audiences 'cos I feel like between Blumhouse and A24, audiences have swung back towards Mood Pieces whose horror is more subtly crafted.

Probably doesn't help the director didn't really move on to bigger and better - Under the Silver Lake dividing audiences so much it kinda became nonexistent. Must watch this again cos my own thoughts seem mixed, yet it has been a film that has lingered in my brain.

Advertisement