Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

It Follows

Options
  • 17-02-2015 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭

That was the latest Screen Unseen offering. Odeon's record for these is quite good. Nightcrawler, Whiplash, Selma and now It Follows.
    The latest was like a throwback to a John Carpenter film, right down to the soundtrack. Low budget but quite good at maintaining the tension throughout. Generally I don't bother with horror but this is well worth a look. Some genuinely really good thrills.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I will see anything with Maika Monroe.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Vinculus

The latest was like a throwback to a John Carpenter film, right down to the soundtrack.

That's all I need to know and I want to see it now!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Mad to see this but it's only showing in Dublin cinemas, this is why i pirate movies.

Man that sucks for you guys. Wonder why.

Well it was very enjoyable indeed. Good performance from herself, liked the atmosphere, the music, lack of jump scares was good, very very good.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

Best horror film I've seen in years. Glad I went in cold - didn't watch trailers or read reviews. Superb.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Really loved this. Very understated, no needless jumpy scares for the sake of it. More horror movies like this please.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Retro Police

This was really excellent. Far superior to the Babadook imo. The setting and music made it. Glad to see it get a good critical reception.

The more I think, the more I like it, specially since I hate horror movies, and I usually avoid jump scare ****e like the ****ing plague. Thoroughly excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

Really enjoyed this. On paper the plot sounds almost like a daft teenage slasher film but not that kind of horror at all.

Really creepy atmosphere throughout, some really tense moments and the acting (while a little naff at times, particularly the start) was solid.

The music though made it for me! Quite unsettling at times. Just realised this morning why some of it sounded quite familiar, was the same guys who did the Fez soundtrack :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I loved this. A simple concept at the heart of it, made into something menacing and gripping through a strong cast, a good script, and some excellent cinematography and use of sound. To have this and the Babadook released within six months of one another is a real treat for anyone who likes their horror full of atmosphere, incipient dread and character examination.

In particular I'm delighted that the film didn't waste any time with
    the stupid sexual politics that cling to slasher films and many other varieties of horror
    . It's much stronger for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

The music was fabulous. Good idea. I liked the ending.
    Some really well shot scenes and I like they were able to make the mundane spooky.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,131 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Given the key roles both sexuality and adolescence have played throughout contemporary horror movie history, it's interesting to see them so consciously brought to the forefront like this. While I'm not entirely convinced the analogy is wholly satisfying towards film's end, Mitchell's decision to exaggerate the nervousness and giddy riskiness of young sex is a wise and imaginative one, intriguingly but not excessively probing the gender roles, gaze and generally erotic undertones of the genre. In terms of portraying teenagers, the film benefits from the same credible but dreamlike storytelling as The Myth of the American Sleepover: the interactions feel both genuine and abstract at the same time, which creates a pleasingly peculiar mood throughout. Aiding that odd vibe is a sense of dislocation - the film at times seems set in the near future, at others in the 70s, and during the cinema trip or anytime characters are watching TV some decade even earlier.

It Follows is, above all, a fantastically shot horror film. The widescreen frame is used with great skill. It requires a degree of active engagement from the audience, who are asked to constantly probe the background for the slow-moving menace (or anything that could potentially be that monster - something Mitchell plays with right up until the final shot). Long-takes and pans are both elegantly employed to create a very potent tension and unease - the prologue and the visit to the high school notably make inspired use out of space and time, playing with our knowledge of what is just outside the frame as well as what is currently in it. Shifts of perspective are also used sparingly to create a very dynamic sense during some of the scarier moments - switching between an invisible and visible follower works very well.

That said, the film also stumbles a bit during those same setpieces - the climax at the pool and the beachside escape both suffer from genre excess and awkward execution in a film where a more economic approach packs more of a punch, especially when special effects come into the mix. And while some of Disasterpiece's compositions are quite striking, I feel those faux-retro soundtracks have sprung up in a few soundtracks too many over the last few years, dulling their impact in the process.

A few minor concerns in a film that is otherwise a very striking effort at shaking the genre up. While the film don't always depart from the norms - does every horror film of this ilk require a lengthy investigation into the curse's origin? - vivid and stylish direction ensures It Follows has a voice of its own despite the formula. And boy there's definitely still something innately creepy about a monster that just walks slowly, but with such ****ing determination.

I watched ..American Sleepover last night and I didn’t really like it but it was interesting to see the similarities between it and It Follows. The same weird, timelessness where kids talk in a modern style and listen to contemporary rock and rap music but no-one has a mobile phone. The same complete lack of adults.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

A few minor concerns in a film that is otherwise a very striking effort at shaking the genre up. While the film don't always depart from the norms - does every horror film of this ilk require a lengthy investigation into the curse's origin? - vivid and stylish direction ensures It Follows has a voice of its own despite the formula. And boy there's definitely still something innately creepy about a monster that just walks slowly, but with such ****ing determination.

To give the film its due, the nature of the curse is such that it would take a remarkably brainless individual to not at least try and find out about it. I quite liked the way that particular plot strand was played out -
    after the work in finding Hugh, it turns out finding the next person in the chain will be impossible, and that's the end of that - then we get a good laugh to clear the air and close off the scene/plot strand nicely

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

The girl at the start of the film that winds up dead on the shore, was that Hugh/Jeffs gf that we saw in the photo of him in high school?

I think "it" took her form at one stage as well. I liked the various different forms that it took and how they weren't over explained, like when Hugh had her tied to the chair to show her the monster was real - I'm pretty sure it was in the form of his mother who we don't see until later on in the film. And how the man at the pool was shown to be her dad by just a quick shot of an old family picture.

The
    tall, gangly dude
    got quite a scream in the showing I was at :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,670 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

The biggest jump in the whole film at the screening I saw was probably the scene where
    Jay is in the bathroom in her underwear, examining herself, and the ball hits the window
    . Half the cinema took off, and then all laughed about it. It was very funny. Also, as mentioned already,
    when the tall guy appears from the darkness
    - that got a huge reaction too.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

The biggest jump in the whole film at the screening I saw was probably the scene where
    Jay is in the bathroom in her underwear, examining herself, and the ball hits the window
    . Half the cinema took off, and then all laughed about it. It was very funny. Also, as mentioned already,
    when the tall guy appears from the darkness
    - that got a huge reaction too.

During your second spoiler the projection failed at the screening I was at. I think people were unsure whether it was part of the film or a problem in the projection booth! Eventually they restarted the film and we watched that bit a second time. Quality scares.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

I really liked the concept, aside from the lack of explanation, of a deeper understanding of how to pass it along. Some beautifully taken shots, music added to the eeriness of it all, however I did think it was a little over used. The first have of the film might have only been 5 minutes long without, the extended wide pan shots.
    As others have mentioned, it is not jump out of your seat scary, it carry a lingering sense of menace. I did find it tame in comparison with other horror film, and would consider it more of a thriller than a horror. While there was nudity it was overtly sexual for the most part. I do think it is better than the average horror out there, but would not hold it up to the same standard as something like John Carpenters "The Fog", although some similar techniques.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,398 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I loved this. I'm a tad annoyed my housemate talked me out of seeing the Babadook when I had the chance as that seems to have been quite good as well. I'd have liked to have known a bit more about it but the "less is more" approach to exposition worked extremely well here.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Saw this today. Thought it was excellent.

Johhny's mini review is spot on. Can't really add more to that, but to reinforce what others said the soundtrack was bloody brilliant, the best I've heard since Under the Skin.

Top notch horror. It itself is bloody terrifying, Sexually Transmitted Apparition. STA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭The Strawman Argument

I really liked the Myth of the American Sleepover, it's been a while since I've seen it but the whole thing felt like a more realistic update to a Dazed and Confused, and the whole thing was way more gorgeous looking than anyone would have any right to expect from such a film that sounded like it was coming straight from the mumblecore movement. Can remember feeling genuinely a little bit jealous that I could so easily imagine tons of people with wholly unspectacular adolescences relating to it's nostalgic overtones with startling accuracy. Anyways, skip on two years and I'm like "whatever happened that guy?" so I google and see he's making a horror movie, I don't hate all horror but I was pretty disappointed to hear he was doing one that sounded so typical of the genre.

Skip on another few months, I've forgotten the premise and all but good reviews make me give it a shot and it turns out I'm an idiot, this film was great! Indulged in tons of typical horror movie stuff and was all the better for it, felt like there was endless teasing of scenarios it could transition into (
    One the pops into my mind right now that seemed less blatant, to the point that this could totally be just the area it was shot and all, but having yer one twice in the middle of a corn field seemed like it was either about to lead to her being followed through there blind there and then or that they'd wind up back there later for some reason
    ).
    I'm gonna list out bits I didn't like because I pretty much liked (or at least accepted) everything else:
    The one time the follower was a woman who was urinating as she walked forward didn't really work, just felt like too much going on
    The effects in the swimming pool didn't either, I also wasn't super keen on how they seemed pretty sure that'd work (although I felt like you were supposed to feel like it wouldn't)
    Christ, I'm sure I'm forgetting a few things there, it's not perfect, like. Regardless, I liked it a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Sobko

Cannot believe I missed this. Did it get a general release? Cannot recall seeing it advertised at our local.

It got a somewhat limited release.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Sobko

I guess I'll have to wait for the Blu Ray.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭MakeEmLaugh

Am I the only person who was slightly underwhelmed by this film? Throughout, I felt I would enjoy reading an essay on the its subtexts more than I would watching the film itself.

Many are claiming It Follows is an allegory about STDs – though it is my understanding the director denies this. There are also the obvious allusions to rape (namely the 'chloroform rag over the mouth' moment) and promiscuity.

While I appreciated the many references to other horror films – John Carpenter's Halloween (the autumnal, suburban setting, with strange figures stalking our heroine outside her school), The Shining (surreal imagery of corpses standing upright and walking toward the camera) and A Nightmare on Elm Street (teens devise way of dealing with threat without help of adults) – it just felt like an amalgam of tropes, which brought little new to the genre. In that way, it reminded me of another Maika Monroe film that I didn't like as much as other people did – The Guest.

Why people like The Guardian's Peter Bradshaw are giving it “5 Stars” and proclaiming it an “instant classic” is beyond me.

Don't get me wrong, it wasn't bad. It was just solidly average.

In the film's defence, its direction and use of sound & visuals is far above the bar for horror films, especially teen slasher films. It also managed a much more refreshing and realistic version of teenagers and their interactions than is the norm.

I think trying to view it as just a series of references pulled together into a story misses what makes the film work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭gazzer

Watched it last night. It was alright but I think I was expecting something brilliant based on all of the positive reviews I read. The music was great and it was well shot but I really felt it was all a bit style over substance. It was ok but nothing great imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

I liked this a lot, but as a fan of Carpenter's stuff from the 70s and 80s this is right up my alley, clearly has been an influence on the director too. Yes it basically is style over substance, it's likely to appeal more to people who grew up when that style of film was very common, but I personally think it's great someone's taking a different tack in the horror genre.

Yes there are a couple of mis-steps here and there, particularly the
    pointless pool trap scene near the end
    but all in all, this does a lot with a little.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,833 ✭✭✭s8n

Am I the only person who was slightly underwhelmed by this film? Throughout, I felt I would enjoy reading an essay on the its subtexts more than I would watching the film itself.

Many are claiming It Follows is an allegory about STDs – though it is my understanding the director denies this. There are also the obvious allusions to rape (namely the 'chloroform rag over the mouth' moment) and promiscuity.

While I appreciated the many references to other horror films – John Carpenter's Halloween (the autumnal, suburban setting, with strange figures stalking our heroine outside her school), The Shining (surreal imagery of corpses standing upright and walking toward the camera) and A Nightmare on Elm Street (teens devise way of dealing with threat without help of adults) – it just felt like an amalgam of tropes, which brought little new to the genre. In that way, it reminded me of another Maika Monroe film that I didn't like as much as other people did – The Guest.

Why people like The Guardian's Peter Bradshaw are giving it “5 Stars” and proclaiming it an “instant classic” is beyond me.

Don't get me wrong, it wasn't bad. It was just solidly average.

Couldnt agree more. Disappointed me in the same way "the guest" did last year.

Case of style over substance and final third was all a bit silly.

Advertisement