Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wild Card (Jason Statham)

• 31-01-2015 4:12am

I was rather disappointed to learn that Wild Card wasn't being released here till the end of March but happened to be looking through Amzon's new VOD release and noticed that it had a same day release in the US. Rented it and have to say that I really enjoyed it, it's the perfect Friday night film, easy to watch, doesn't over stay it's welcome and features the best knifey spooney fight ever.

He rarely gets the acclaim he deserves but Jason Statham is one of the most magnetic, charismatic and likable action stars in cinema history. He has an easy charm that's impossible not to warm to and can elevate even the most generic of films and add a touch of class. The steely eyed intensity is reminiscent of McQueen or Newman and as such it's something of a shame that he has yet to find the vehicle to elevate him to such great heights.

Wild Card is a low key slice of old fashioned neo-noir with a side of cool. Based on the novel by William Goldman, who scripts it's the kind of unashamedly old school action thriller that never seems like it's in much of a hurry. It's a cool, breezy 90 or so minutes that allows Statham to flex his acting muscles a little and show that he's so much more than just a pair of fists.

The story here is somewhat old hat, it's another tale of a loser with a particular set of skills whose unable to tear himself away from everything that's wrong in his life. Statham's Nick Wild is the quintessential loser, he has just enough to get by and soon as he sees a little success he squanders it thanks to an inherent inability to get out while the game is good.

Eeking out a living as a punching bag for losers looking to show off or hookers looking to get even, he's a man with little to lose and it shows.
    Into his wild and erratic world stumbles Cyrus Kinnick, a tech genius loser who just wants a little of Wild's cool to rub off on him. The initial meeting between the two is an absolute joy to behold with Statham having a hell of a lot of fun boasting about his ability to memorize the front page of the New York Times and other wild exaggerations.

The crisp dialogue is pure pulp and has that signature Goldman ring to it. It's clever, insightful and never showy.
    The films most startling scene comes midway through where luck finally shines on Wild and he finds himself winning big at the blackjack tables. It's a wonderfully shot and thematically rich scene in which director Simon West utilises quick cuts of cars flipping over and in a nice directorial flourish West uses longer and longer takes as Wild finds himself unable to stop betting. It's a brilliantly staged scene and uses little dialogue but manages to say more than enough.

As this is a Statham film, there's more than enough action and these scenes are amongst the most proficient in quite some time. There's no messing around here, violence is sudden, unexpected and brief. There is no posturing or taunting, just bone crunching violence that's over almost as soon as it begins. The visceral extended punch outs between Statham and a number of others displays a wit and sense of fun that's been lacking in many recent action thrillers. Sure it's nasty as it comes but unlike the violence in The Equalizer or A Walk Among the Tombstones it's never drab, inhumane or unnecessarily graphic.

Wild Card is not a film ever likely to set the world on fire. It's a decidedly old fashioned action film that manages to tell a fun and full story in 90 minutes. There's no excess here, no delusions of grandeur, just a stripped down noir tale that Elmore Leonard, Ross Macdonald or Jim Thompson would be proud of.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Sobko

Is this available on Amazon.co.uk

Sobko wrote: »
    Is this available on Amazon.co.uk

It's on amazon.com and most other US VOD services. If you have a PS3 and an American account it's easy to watch it legally.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Sobko

Ah. Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

I was rather disappointed to learn that Wild Card wasn't being released here till the end of March but happened to be looking through Amzon's new VOD release and noticed that it had a same day release in the US. Rented it and have to say that I really enjoyed it, it's the perfect Friday night film, easy to watch, doesn't over stay it's welcome and features the best knifey spooney fight ever.

He rarely gets the acclaim he deserves but Jason Statham is one of the most magnetic, charismatic and likable action stars in cinema history. He has an easy charm that's impossible not to warm to and can elevate even the most generic of films and add a touch of class. The steely eyed intensity is reminiscent of McQueen or Newman and as such it's something of a shame that he has yet to find the vehicle to elevate him to such great heights.

Wild Card is a low key slice of old fashioned neo-noir with a side of cool. Based on the novel by William Goldman, who scripts it's the kind of unashamedly old school action thriller that never seems like it's in much of a hurry. It's a cool, breezy 90 or so minutes that allows Statham to flex his acting muscles a little and show that he's so much more than just a pair of fists.

The story here is somewhat old hat, it's another tale of a loser with a particular set of skills whose unable to tear himself away from everything that's wrong in his life. Statham's Nick Wild is the quintessential loser, he has just enough to get by and soon as he sees a little success he squanders it thanks to an inherent inability to get out while the game is good.

Eeking out a living as a punching bag for losers looking to show off or hookers looking to get even, he's a man with little to lose and it shows.
    Into his wild and erratic world stumbles Cyrus Kinnick, a tech genius loser who just wants a little of Wild's cool to rub off on him. The initial meeting between the two is an absolute joy to behold with Statham having a hell of a lot of fun boasting about his ability to memorize the front page of the New York Times and other wild exaggerations.

The crisp dialogue is pure pulp and has that signature Goldman ring to it. It's clever, insightful and never showy.
    The films most startling scene comes midway through where luck finally shines on Wild and he finds himself winning big at the blackjack tables. It's a wonderfully shot and thematically rich scene in which director Simon West utilises quick cuts of cars flipping over and in a nice directorial flourish West uses longer and longer takes as Wild finds himself unable to stop betting. It's a brilliantly staged scene and uses little dialogue but manages to say more than enough.

As this is a Statham film, there's more than enough action and these scenes are amongst the most proficient in quite some time. There's no messing around here, violence is sudden, unexpected and brief. There is no posturing or taunting, just bone crunching violence that's over almost as soon as it begins. The visceral extended punch outs between Statham and a number of others displays a wit and sense of fun that's been lacking in many recent action thrillers. Sure it's nasty as it comes but unlike the violence in The Equalizer or A Walk Among the Tombstones it's never drab, inhumane or unnecessarily graphic.

Wild Card is not a film ever likely to set the world on fire. It's a decidedly old fashioned action film that manages to tell a fun and full story in 90 minutes. There's no excess here, no delusions of grandeur, just a stripped down noir tale that Elmore Leonard, Ross Macdonald or Jim Thompson would be proud of.

i looked up a few of his movies last night,7 to be exact and out of the 7, 5 of them bombed at the box office.and when i say bombed they didnt make any where near or over the budget of the film.
    i honestly dont know how this guy is even being allowed make movies.any movie i have seen of his is just awful and he is a awful action movie actor.

crazygeryy wrote: »
    i looked up a few of his movies last night,7 to be exact and out of the 7, 5 of them bombed at the box office.and when i say bombed they didnt make any where near or over the budget of the film.
    i honestly dont know how this guy is even being allowed make movies.any movie i have seen of his is just awful and he is a awful action movie actor.

Funny but I just looked at his box office and all bar three or so of his films have turned a profit before hitting the home market. Are you mistaking the US take as total box office and as such writing films off as flops.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

Funny but I just looked at his box office and all bar three or so of his films have turned a profit before hitting the home market. Are you mistaking the US take as total box office and as such writing films off as flops.

no genuinely i put about 7 of his movies into box office mojo and thats what i got.box office mojo is global sales isnt it?

hang on im man enough to admit i made a mistake .sorry your right i was looking at domestic total not foreign as well.sorry.
    but hes still an awful actor and i dont like his movies.

crazygeryy wrote: »
    no genuinely i put about 7 of his movies into box office mojo and thats what i got.box office mojo is global sales isnt it?

Well I entered him in box office mojo and all his films bar a few like Ghosts of Mars and London made a profit, in most cases substantial profit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,490 ✭✭✭✭Victor

features the best knifey spooney fight ever.
    It was easy to see who had and hadn't played it. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Watched it today, nonsense but very enjoyable. Notable for a few very good actors in miniscule roles, all of whom have aged very well. The one from modern family getting in the starting credits was fairly laughable though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

I do like the bastard, but then I've also watched a bunch of Danny Dyer movies of my own volition. They both have their place in the world.

Kind of annoyed I can't see it without the rigmarole of all the extra bollox.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,513 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Well I entered him in box office mojo and all his films bar a few like Ghosts of Mars and London made a profit, in most cases substantial profit.

and its not like he can be held responsible for the problems with Ghosts of Mars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

He's one of the few modern action stars I do like and he seems to be generally well-liked as one, even if his films don't particularly light me up. He looks like a hard-ass and has the charisma and athleticism to back it up.

Will check this one out though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭paddyismaddy

I do like the bastard, but then I've also watched a bunch of Danny Dyer movies of my own volition. They both have their place in the world.

Kind of annoyed I can't see it without the rigmarole of all the extra bollox.

dyer has found his place in eastenders :pac:

statham is great, you know what you are getting from all his films

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

I don't think people watch him for his acting skills. They want loads of action with a no brainer storyline and he delivers in trumps.

Advertisement