Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thoughts on the next life. Do you fear death?

• 13-11-2014 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭

Most of us drive through everyday on autopilot - work, bills, food, finding an other half, lovemaking, buying a house, going to college, more work, kids, old age - inevitable death.

We often worry about the future in this lifetime, and regret over events passed, yet struggle more with the following period when we no longer inhabit this earth. Most of the time in the 80-100 years most of us can expect to stay alive seems to be measured by specific milestones that we expect to achieve - or indeed what society expects us to achieve

Sometimes 'living for the sake of living' goes out the window. This can be hard to contemplate. If this life we have now is so intangible and complex, what could possibly lie ahead in the next one, if anything at all?

Do you have a faith (religious, spiritual or otherwise) which provides you with hope and comfort for the next life ahead? God (in whatever form you imagine your deity to be), spirits and the loved ones we hope are in the next chapter of our lives give many of us reason not to fear the next life - however, the actual form of death itself scares the bejeebies out of me. I think it's the not knowing HOW you are going to die and the process of your body switching off. Will the soul leave, is there really a bright light etc.

What are your thoughts on entering the next life? Do you fear death?

Do you fear death? 92 votes

Yes, I fear death
    0% 0 votes
    No, I don't fear death
    38% 35 votes
    I have mixed feelings on dying.
    61% 57 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

Which forum will this thread be moved to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

Not in the slightest. Not because I believe in an afterlife and not because I'm some hard man, I just don't. You can't be beat the clock and no-one should be afraid of what they can't overcome. You just accept it and kind of forget about it. I mean what's to be afraid of? You die suddenly, you're gone. You don't die suddenly, you go eventually.

Way I see it, I won't be the first to go and won't be the last. Might as well just enjoy what I can when I can. The rest of the world can do what it likes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,654 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭SkyBlueClouds

Corvo wrote: »
    Not in the slightest. Not because I believe in an afterlife and not because I'm some hard man, I just don't. You can't be beat the clock and no-one should be afraid of what they can't overcome. You just accept it and kind of forget about it. I mean what's to be afraid of? You die suddenly, you're gone. You don't die suddenly, you go eventually.

Way I see it, I won't be the first to go and won't be the last. Might as well just enjoy what I can when I can. The rest of the world can do what it likes!

Yeah I think that's a comforting way to look on it - it's one inevitable fate that we all will face....that and taxes. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭csallmighty

Be grand

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

I don't fear the after death bit, not too keen on the transition though.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Like you said I think it's because we don't know when or how that scares people. You could be dead and buried by this time next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,654 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

ToddyDoody wrote: »

Sheep Forum ftw :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

I don't fear death in the slightest, only the possible pain process involved in dying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Never mind where it get moves to , im looking forward to the excuse that a mod uses to close it and then for it to reincarnate itself.

• Advertisement

Like you said I think it's because we don't know when or how that scares people. You could be dead and buried by this time next week.

Indeed. It's that fact that I *could* be hit by a falling comet when waiting for the bus tomorrow, or indeed suddenly by struck by a heart attack/blood clot etc etc... We place so much on the here and now can forget all could be lost in a matter of minutes :o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

Im going to live forever, im going to learn how to fly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Arsemageddon

Here maybe.....

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=609

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

I have a rendezvous with death, at some disputed barricade.

It may be he should take my hand, and lead me into his dark land.
    And close my eyes and quench my breath.

I have a rendezvous with death.
    And I to my pledged word am true, I shall not fail that rendezvous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

In general I'd say no, as in, I don't really think about or worry about it at all day to day. But, I have in my short but colourful life found myself in a couple of situations where it was more likely I was going to die, than going to live, and to be honest I was absolutely terrified every time.

So, yes and no I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

I don't fear dying because I don't believe in an afterlife. I do fear going before I'm ready and leaving my loved ones behind.

strobe wrote: »
    In general I'd say no, as in, I don't really think about or worry about it at all day to day. But, I have in my short but colourful life found myself in a couple of situations where it was more likely I was going to die, than going to live, and to be honest I was absolutely terrified every time.

So, yes and no I guess.

Was the terror at the unknown do you think, or a combination of that and leaving loved ones/possibilities etc behind?

eviltwin wrote: »
    I do fear going before I'm ready and leaving my loved ones behind.

I fear dying before my parents. No parent should have to bury a son/daughter. :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭Kevin McCloud

I fear dying before my parents. No parent should have to bury a son/daughter. :(

Don't be living in fear at all, it will wreck your head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Sonderkommando

I love life and would like to live as long as possible but, if I ended up severely ill in constant pain or became a quadriplegic and my every need dependent on others, I would welcome death happily.

As for an afterlife I don't think there is one, but I hope to be proved wrong!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Was the terror at the unknown do you think, or a combination of that and leaving loved ones/possibilities etc behind?

Neither I think. Think it was mainly just instinctual tbh, my brain pulling all its tricks out of the bag to force me to supress doubts and other less immediately important fears in order to keep the genes protected kind of thing. Don't remember thinking any specific thoughts, although have had the 'life flashing before your eyes' stream of very vivid images of people I care about, so maybe something to the 'leaving loved ones thing' in a sub conscious sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

:confused: That's a little bit Chicken Licken no?

I don't fear death once I know that I am making the best of this life. I am only 39 but I already have a bucket list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Joe Doe

A Neurosurgeon, went there (non-voluntary), said's its grand, like.

http://time.com/3449990/proof-of-heaven-author-science-is-being-forced-to-take-the-afterlife-seriously/

Dr. Eben Alexander, a renowned academic neurosurgeon, wrote the bestselling Proof of Heaven (2012) after a transcendental Near-Death Experience (NDE), in which he was driven to the brink of death and spent a week deep in coma from an inexplicable brain infection. His follow-up, The Map of Heaven, publishes next week.

Something to do wit all dat quantum multi-verse jazz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 663 ✭✭✭masonchat

I dont believe in the afterlife so im not worried about that side of it , hope that im right as i will be going down below if im not : - )

But i find the older i get the more nervous i get about how i will did and when you think about it there isnt really a nice way to go (in your sleep about the best) but sure is a lot of bad ways to go, i find myself getting quite anxious at times when i think of it

And the tought of leaving loved ones behind , and not knowing how the world will eventually end REALLY bugs me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 474 ✭✭Candy_Girl

I don't fear my own death but I do worry about anyone close to me dying. I try not to think about it....but thanks for the reminder :p

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Putin

I love life and would like to live as long as possible but, if I ended up severely ill in constant pain or became a quadriplegic and my every need dependent on others, I would welcome death happily.

As for an afterlife I don't think there is one, but I hope to be proved wrong!

Sums up how I feel about it also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

One things that worries me is that if there is nothing afterwards, All the things I know and have done will just be gone.

It is mad when you think about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭nelly17

I dont actually fear death itself, but I do fear if I have made enough provision for dependents if I do die.

I dont think there is any form of afterlife I think were just worm food and I'm ok with that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

I believe in an afterlife, so Im pretty much fine with the whole death thing,

Just want it to be when im old, grey, annoying and asleep in my bed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,316 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Corvo wrote: »

Sure you can. well, you can at least extend it through healthy living.

God doesn't exist. there's no afterlife. That's my opinion.
    i do admit i find the idea of non-existence a bit baffling. That's mainly because i can't really comprehend it. When people try to imagine it they tend to think "when I won't exist" but that's contradictory. I can imagine being hot, cold, taller, shorter etc... but I can't imagine what it's like when I don't exist because there's not even an I.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Grand Moff Tarkin

I will fight to enjoy life till my last breath but when the time comes I will have no fear for myself just for the loved ones I leave behind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Being dead is ok. How I die could be an issue for concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

I believe in heaven/afterlife so I don't fear death that much....but having said that I want to be old and grey and warm in my own bed before it happens.

It's how I go that would bother me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I fear death because I don't know what's going to happen after and I don't like the idea of nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

I have always been afraid of dying, not of being sick or pain but just, what happens next?
    I have been afraid of dying since I was 7. A character in a book I was reading died and I asked my mother to explain what it meant, no close family relatives had died at that stage so I hadn't experienced a death or a funeral. My mother told me that when you die your heart stops beating and you stop breathing and you're put in a wooden box in the ground and you stay there. She wasn't exactly the mothering caring type.
    So since then I have always had an image in my head of being trapped in a wooden box in the ground, even though I know I'll be dead I think I'll still be able to feel things, and I'll feel sad, scared and alone and I'll have no way of getting out of the box.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

I have always been afraid of dying, not of being sick or pain but just, what happens next?
    I have been afraid of dying since I was 7. A character in a book I was reading died and I asked my mother to explain what it meant, no close family relatives had died at that stage so I hadn't experienced a death or a funeral. My mother told me that when you die your heart stops beating and you stop breathing and you're put in a wooden box in the ground and you stay there. She wasn't exactly the mothering caring type.
    So since then I have always had an image in my head of being trapped in a wooden box in the ground, even though I know I'll be dead I think I'll still be able to feel things, and I'll feel sad, scared and alone and I'll have no way of getting out of the box.

Your mother sounds like a bit of a bitch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 466 ✭✭cd07

no matter how u die or whether there's an afterlife or not a simple rule of physics states that energy cannot die or be created so what happens Ur energy? is it passed on to the so called worms or bacteria that feed off Ur remains? or if u die instantly where does Ur energy go in that instant? The mind boggles I guess! is Ur energy what u could call Ur soul?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Packrat

^^^^^ Be ok hun xoxo

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

cd07 wrote: »
    no matter how u die or whether there's an afterlife or not a simple rule of physics states that energy cannot die or be created so what happens Ur energy? is it passed on to the so called worms or bacteria that feed off Ur remains? or if u die instantly where does Ur energy go in that instant? The mind boggles I guess! is Ur energy what u could call Ur soul?

I'm of the same thinking. Energy can never be destroyed, it is merely transferred.

If that transfer of energy is in a concious state is another matter all together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Trent Houseboat

I don't believe in an after life and I don't fear death.
    I just hope I clear my search history beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Idjit

I don't fear my own death at all because as far as I'm concerned I'll be gone and that's that.

I am absolutely petrified of my parents or siblings dying however. It is my worst fear and I think nearly every day about how I might have to face it at some point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 663 ✭✭✭masonchat

I fear death because I don't know what's going to happen after and I don't like the idea of nothing.

Nothing is a lot better than a hot poker up the azz for all eternity lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Smart Bug

There's a way to ensure that doesn't happen. Just saying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,316 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I just hope I clear my search history beforehand.

just encrypt the whole fecking harddrive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭RoadhouseBlues

I'm terrified of the act of dying. And I'm only in my thirties, but it seems to be on my mind for the last few years. Will it be painful, will I just drift off, will it be peaceful. I would like to stop thinking about it, but its always hovering around the back of my mind. Terrified.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,929 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Don't believe in an afterlife but I do occasionally wonder/worry about death

Serious answer:
    Of course life will go on for everyone else and you'll be forgotten about by everyone except loved ones not long after but as someone else said, the idea of just not existing anymore is a tough one to get your head around.

Then there's the method of death. Quick and painless, preferably while asleep but I reckon the odds are fairly long on that one.

Also, since I became a daddy I worry about leaving something behind to support him and already regret the idea of missing key events in his life.

This is kinda depressing for a Friday afternoon, so AH answer...

Missing cool things like Star Trek style transporters, replicators and holodecks being invented .. oh and not getting to go to Mars for some 3-boobed hooker lovin! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

or became a quadriplegic and my every need dependent on others, I would welcome death happily
    You wouldn't if it happened to you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,002 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I'm more afraid of an afterlife than nothing.

I mean come on, no one knows what an afterlife might be like, but everyone knows what nothing is like.

Go to sleep tonight, snore your head off and then wake up. To me that sleep is death, but forever, no waking up. How nice is that?

But an afterlife option scares me. The unknown.

As for a painful death. Morphine is your friend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Life after death is very similar to what life was like before you were born. Remember that?

• Advertisement
Advertisement