Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

At about 4.30 pm Europe will land a lump of metal on a lump of rock and ice

Options
  • 12-11-2014 1:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭

Philae lander craft separated from the Rosseta this morning and will land on Comet 67P/Churyumov–Gerasimenko at about 4.30 PM GMT.

No doubt BBC and SKY etc will have rolling coverage of this, the Philae does have a camera onboard so there should be images (which take 30 minutes to get back to earth) as it reaches the surface.

http://www.esa.int/Our_Activities/Operations/Live_updates_Rosetta_mission_comet_landing

Quite exciting :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭josey_whale

Touch down expected 16:02 GMT / 17:02 CET.

http://new.livestream.com/esa/cometlanding

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

Is Bruce Willis on it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Will Aerosmith be providing a backing track?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Will it make a Deep Impact???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭Arsemageddon

Whoa there Professor Egg-head Mc Boffin!

That thread title is way too technical for me, less of the technical jargon please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Reoil

It will try to land...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,091 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Will it cure ebola?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Secretly, I hope this happens...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

No water charge comments yet?

AH has gone to hell altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

This is fake and being filmed in a shed in Yorkshire.

I can tell because that comet is clearly a potato.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Dar

Whoa there Professor Egg-head Mc Boffin!

That thread title is way too technical for me, less of the technical jargon please.

Here you go

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭REXER

Rick O'Shea!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,027 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

RTE News says the eagle has landed

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

KungPao wrote: »
    Is Bruce Willis on it?

Hopefully with that one way ticket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Duggy747 wrote: »
    This is fake and being filmed in a shed in Yorkshire.

I can tell because that comet is clearly a potato.

If OJ Simpson and your man off Law and Order mysteriously disappear you may be on to something.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

The government gave away comet drilling rights for peanuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Will it cure ebola?

No. But any ice/water found on it will be taxed and the bill forwarded to us Paddy's.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,431 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

If it's a successful mission then America will claim they made it all happen

If it's a really really REALLY successful mission Ireland will claim the lander's great grandfather (a dishwasher) was from Ballygobackwards and promptly issue an invite to visit followed by a new shiny supermarket somewhere in the middle of nowhere. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Would a successful mission be the discovery that the comet has rich veins of peat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

Would a successful mission be the discovery that the comet has rich veins of peat?
    We've had Space Truckers and Space Cowboys, I'd love to be a Space Turfcutter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭V_Moth

XKCD also has a live thingy on Rosetta:

http://xkcd1446.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

If there are large amounts of metals on the comet,don't be surprised to see a modified transit van already there with a few "feins" loading up said Ford with bits of scrap metal found on the Surface.

Anyhow,hope it goes well,and looking forward to the documentaries on new discoveries that the mission has un-earthed.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭Philo Beddoe

We've had Space Truckers and Space Cowboys, I'd love to be a Space Turfcutter

Enabling me to live my dream of being a Space Turf-footer.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,027 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

whats so special about Comet 67P/Churyumov–Gerasimenko?

there MUST be something they are not telling us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Last_Minute

How do we know it isn't the other way around? That the comet isn't landing on the probe?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭fedor.2.

How do we know it isn't the other way around? That the comet isn't landing on the probe?

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

If it's a successful mission then America will claim they made it all happen

If it's a really really REALLY successful mission Ireland will claim the lander's great grandfather (a dishwasher) was from Ballygobackwards and promptly issue an invite to visit followed by a new shiny supermarket somewhere in the middle of nowhere. :pac:

Well, 2 Irish companies lent a big helping hand.

Space Technology Ireland Ltd designed a critical piece of hardware, the Electronic Support System processor unit, that helps it communicate between Rosetta and the probe and CAPTEC then developed the software for that purpose and support for other systems built by other companies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

crockholm wrote: »
    If there are large amounts of metals on the comet,don't be surprised to see a modified transit van already there with a few "feins" loading up said Ford with bits of scrap metal found on the Surface.

Anyhow,hope it goes well,and looking forward to the documentaries on new discoveries that the mission has un-earthed.

can we really say that they have been un-earthed when its not actually on earth?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

Beano wrote: »
    can we really say that they have been un-earthed when its not actually on earth?

Yes...hence the "un":D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Well, 2 Irish companies lent a big helping hand.

Space Technology Ireland Ltd designed a critical piece of hardware, the Electronic Support System processor unit, that helps it communicate between Rosetta and the probe and CAPTEC then developed the software for that purpose and support for other systems built by other companies.
    Plus we contribute to the ESA.

Advertisement