Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Robotech movie

• 20-04-2009 7:44pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone heard about this?...big budget CGIfest movie with that Peter Parker/Spidey guy... :confused:

Seems to be in preproduction and what not, anyone a fan of Robotech?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,032 ✭✭✭✭bnt

It was talked about 18 months ago, but it seems to be in "Development" a.k.a. Purgatory.

I still remember the cartoon series well, and if they make the movie, I hope they don't dumb it down for a kids' market. Your average cartoon doesn't get as dark as Robotech does, dealing with themes such as
    sacrificing your personal life for military advancement (Lisa), the death of a major character (Roy), the effects this has on his friends (Rick having to grow up quickly) and girlfriend (Claudia becoming a near-suicidal alcoholic), and the devastating impact of war and destruction on a captive civilian population
    . And that's all before they actually meet the aliens... :cool:

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

There doesn't seem to be any new information on this anywhere. Don't really trust Wikipedia for reliable sources so I didn't bother checking there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Any new updates?...is this dead?

There's various bits of news here, but not much actually happening.

— Kingsley Amis

Here we go again:
    In various stages of development for quite some time, it appears that a live-action adaptation of the anime classic Robotech is finally on the way! Sony Pictures has just announced that they have secured the big screen rights to the property with, in their words, “the intention of moving quickly toward production of a future global franchise”!

— Kingsley Amis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Please please happen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,558 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

see y'all in another few years

For those of you who have seen this thread and are going "wut?", have a read of this: Everything You Need to Know About Robotech. It was written last year, before the latest news, of course.

(I wonder if the new deal means that Tobey Maguire and Leonardo DiCaprio are no longer involved? Maguire is reportedly a huge fan of the series and was hoping to produce and star back in 2007.)

— Kingsley Amis

I remember at the height of the Transformer craze back in the 80's I was going to buy a Jetfire or Starscream but when I went to Easons to get one I saw what I now know to be a Macross Valkyrie which I hought was a knock off Transformer.
    I thought that after looking at the Transformer toys which were the same price but much smaller and of lesser quality I went with the Macross version and was very happy with the purchase

it looked something like this

macross-80s-toys-3.jpg?d78934

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Skerries wrote: »
    I remember at the height of the Transformer craze back in the 80's I was going to buy a Jetfire or Starscream but when I went to Easons to get one I saw what I now know to be a Macross Valkyrie which I hought was a knock off Transformer.
    I thought that after looking at the Transformer toys which were the same price but much smaller and of lesser quality I went with the Macross version and was very happy with the purchase

it looked something like this

macross-80s-toys-3.jpg?d78934

I had the original red and white jet fire which was essentially the VF 1 Valkerie only slightly different .

What id give to have it again :(

• Advertisement

Sony appear to be taking this very seriously: they're in talks with director James Wan, who's currently riding high off the back of Furious 7 and can basically write his own ticket. :cool:

— Kingsley Amis

currently watching the original cartoon, haven't jumped to the other series yet

There's a new article here discussing the character Lynn Minmei, underlining her importance to the plot. In the TV series, she's a cross between Vera Lynn, Jar-Jar Binks, and the last winner of X-Factor. :pac:

I agree that casting will be crucial, but not for the reasons in the article: the animated Minmei was possibly the most annoying character in animation history: charming and popular, but not exactly the sharpest crayon in the box, a pretty vacant airhead whose bad decisions endanger not only her but everyone around her.

— Kingsley Amis

Advertisement