Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation

• 28-05-2013 5:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,496 ✭✭✭✭

Tom Cruise apparently trying to get David Beckham for a role :P

No director (Christopher McQuarrie rumoured to wanted by Cruise) or cast (bar Cruise himself) attached yet but would be cool if JJ Abrams came back as director, even though Brad Bird did a good job with Ghost Protocol (MI4)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

MI3 and Ghost Protocol were both excellent I thought, MI3 is my favourite of the franchise, the first one was on recently it hasn't aged well at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Wasn't there a story in the Sunday World that some of it is to be filmed in Ireland?

zerks wrote: »
    Wasn't there a story in the Sunday World that some of it is to be filmed in Ireland?

Just like the Hangover 3 was...n't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

krudler wrote: »
    Just like the Hangover 3 was...n't.

Some kind of deal done to have scenes from the next lot of blockbusters shot here.MI 5 & Star Wars were mentioned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭sxt

Tom Ab sailing from The Spire to the GPO for what exactly ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Some kind of deal done to have scenes from the next lot of blockbusters shot here.MI 5 & Star Wars were mentioned.

Hmmm, wasn't there also confirmation that Star Wars Episode VII would be filmed in Britain? In which case, Northern Ireland would be a possibility, so technically the tabloid would be right then :p I presume whatever tax breaks Westminster gives to film productions would apply to NI as well? I guess that's why Game of Thrones is filming its more pastoral scenes there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

pixelburp wrote: »
    Hmmm, wasn't there also confirmation that Star Wars Episode VII would be filmed in Britain? In which case, Northern Ireland would be a possibility, so technically the tabloid would be right then :p I presume whatever tax breaks Westminster gives to film productions would apply to NI as well? I guess that's why Game of Thrones is filming its more pastoral scenes there.

I thought the Game of Thrones thing was through Screen NI but if its tax breaks that might be uk-wide.

Star Wars eps 4-6 and 1 were filmed in England (Pinewood?) so they may return there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,496 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Ethan Hunt in the Dail in the disguise of Alan Shatter to take out Mick Wallace :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Tom_Cruise

Cannot wait for this. Great series so far this one will be even more epic.

Christopher McQuarrie has signed on to direct now

• Advertisement

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Christopher McQuarrie has signed on to direct now

Meh tbh, least the previous ones had nicely varying directors, McQuarrie has made what 2 movies?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Meh tbh, least the previous ones had nicely varying directors, McQuarrie has made what 2 movies?

Way of the Gun (2000) and Jack Reacher. Can't really remember much of the first, but I still can't get over how sloppy Jack Reacher was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Way of the Gun (2000) and Jack Reacher. Can't really remember much of the first, but I still can't get over how sloppy Jack Reacher was.

Did he not do Valkyrie?

Even though Jack Reacher was not really like the book it was a competent enough action film.

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Did he not do Valkyrie?

Even though Jack Reacher was not really like the book it was a competent enough action film.

Think the screenplay only

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Still two more than Abrams had made when he directed M:I:3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,102 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Teaser trailer just released for Mission : Impossible Rogue Nation

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

No Paula Patton? :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

All that sunshine and motorbike chases remind me of the dreadful MI2.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I liked MI2 but the motocycle "scene" felt like it was the second half of the movie.

I liked MI1. It took about 5 re-watches for me to figure out whats going on, but once you get it, its pretty good. I thought 3 and 4 were instntly forgettable. In fact, I've forgotten the salient details, aside from Ethan being married and going to buy ice. And a girl in a yellow dress getting out of a lamborghini.

The teaser looks like half way between 2 and 3. Girl in yellow dress and motorbikes.

Im having a tough time finding my interest in this one to be honest.

syklops wrote: »
    I liked MI1. It took about 5 re-watches for me to figure out whats going on, but once you get it, its pretty good. I thought 3 and 4 were instntly forgettable.

I still have no idea and long came to the conclusion that it doesn’t matter. As Ebert said, the film is about Cruise looking cool while doing cool things for reasons that aren’t important. How the hell are you are supposed to pay attention to the plot when Emmanuelle Béart is on-screen anyway?

Some plots aren’t meant to be understood. I’ve seen Chinatown (which Towne also wrote) dozens of times but still don’t get the whole business about the water supply. Ditto all that stuff in Vegas in Godfather II. I’m sure if I paid attention to the plot it would make sense, but the plot is the least interesting thing about those films.

For me the MI series is one to throw on, sit back and just enjoy the eye candy. The plot in the first film is fairly straight forward but told in such a convoluted manner that it's easy to get lost in just what is occurring. I rewatched it a few months back and would be hard pressed to recall anything plot related but could easily describe in detail all the set pieces. It's pretty much a competently directed Michael Bay film which favors spectacle above all else.

Based on the trailer my only concern about this film is that it’s another Ethan-goes-it-alone mission after the refreshing teamwork and camaraderie of Ghost Protocol.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The full trailer is out now: seems the IMF is under attack from within and its own allies. Again. :rolleyes: :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,509 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Bad Robot's still involved, then.

'An anti-IMF', is that most serious Pegg's character has ever been in this franchise?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,071 ✭✭✭OU812

That plane scene.... Whatever you think about cruise, you have to admire the fact that he gives 100% to every role.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Grays Sports Almanac

They love a rubber mask and a voice altering microchip!

Looking forward to it. Always enjoyed them, apart from the second one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Its one of the Franchises that actually gets better (although the disappointing John Woo directed part 2 was sadly very boring, I think Cruise got Woo at the wrong time). 3 and 4 were excellent action films and Cruise pulling off the action hero role is a thing of beauty. Still the best scene from any of the MI films is glorious moment from MI3

Scary as hell and the closet moment MI has got to a scary villain.

• Advertisement

No Paula Patton? :(

I'm sure I read Jessica Chastain was approached and offered the female lead in MI5

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Arkaron

Looks okay so far. Enjoyed Jack Reacher, so I'll give this one a chance. Hasn't Roger Moore already done the plane seen a few decades back? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,242 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I'm surprised he wasnt asked to write the screenplay for MI5 ,as he is an excellent writer.

The two guys actually writing it are pretty much unknowns.
    One guy co wrote the dreadful Iron Man 3 and the other guy writes computer games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Looper007 wrote: »
    Its one of the Franchises that actually gets better (although the disappointing John Woo directed part 2 was sadly very boring, I think Cruise got Woo at the wrong time). 3 and 4 were excellent action films and Cruise pulling off the action hero role is a thing of beauty. Still the best scene from any of the MI films is glorious moment from MI3

Scary as hell and the closet moment MI has got to a scary villain.

Yes great villain, can't even remember the others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,031 ✭✭✭✭bnt

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I'm sure I read Jessica Chastain was approached and offered the female lead in MI5
    I honestly can't imagine Chastain doing what Rebecca Ferguson is doing in that trailer. :pac:

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭fluke

The IMF - the most infiltrated spy agency in the world.

Loving the trailer but how often are they infiltrated/ disbanded?

Is there any of them that are straight up get the bad guy movies?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Will there be a Tom Cruise running scene is all I want to know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

I thought Ghost Protocol was one of the best films I'd seen in a while. It really surprised me how good it was. They spent some time on story in between the set pieces and character development which I liked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Joeface

Will there be a Tom Cruise running scene is all I want to know.

more that likely , but if you cannot wait >>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,242 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

All that sunshine and motorbike chases remind me of the dreadful MI2.

I thoroughly enjoyed MI2
    The soundtrack was epic ,it had John Woo directing ,it had doves ,masks and great action scenes.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,883 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Whatever you think of him you have to give Tom credit for his stunt work when he makes films.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,620 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Whatever you think of him you have to give Tom credit for his stunt work when he makes films.

You actually believe that BS about Cruise and these stunts? He's been peddling that nonsense and deception for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

walshb wrote:
    You actually believe that BS about Cruise and these stunts? He's been peddling that nonsense and deception for years.

Do you have anything to prove it's bull**** apart from your own opinion? He was photoshopped onto that skyscraper in Dubai was he?

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Do you have anything to prove it's bull**** apart from your own opinion? He was photoshopped onto that skyscraper in Dubai was he?

The Dubai stunt was even more a BS story than this one. Unreal the folks buying it.

Whatever was done there is no way in hell he was attached to that fooking plane when it took off. Don't be so naive. There are stuntmen who spend an entire career perfecting stunts like falling off tables and jumping from 1st story houses etc, and this clown is making out that he flies across the tallest skyscrapers on earth and hangs from planes. It's a spoof job and I am amazed that folks fall for it.

BTW, who is giving Tom the clearance to do all this? Who the fcuk would insure this or sanction this madness?

walshb wrote: »
    The Dubai stunt was even more a BS story than this one. Unreal the folks buying it.

Whatever was done there is no way in hell he was attached to that fooking plane when it took off. Don't be so naive.

Did you even watch the video? Because if it's fake it's better FX than most blockbusters are capable of. The burden of proof is on you to prove it's all a PR stunt, beyond 'I don't like Tom Cruise'. I don't like Cruise either but I respect the fact he seems happy to do his own stunts. It's rare but actors do it.

BTW, who is giving Tom the clearance to do all this? Who the fcuk would insure this or sanction this madness?

I suspect Cruise has enough cash in his bank account to offset any insurance issues.

pixelburp wrote: »
    Did you even watch the video? Because if it's fake it's better FX than most blockbusters are capable of. The burden of proof is on you to prove it's all a PR stunt, beyond 'I don't like Tom Cruise'. I don't like Cruise either but I respect the fact he seems happy to do his own stunts. It's rare but actors do it.

I suspect Cruise has enough cash in his bank account to offset any insurance issues.

I rate Cruise as a top class actor. Always have. But this BS about some of these stunts is odd. Not a hope he performed them. We are in the 21st century and have a lot of tricks and gadgets to give off the illusion.

I remember he was on the Late Late show for the Oblivion film. Owl Tubs wasn't buying it. He was bang on. I don't have to prove anything. I don't believe it. It's that simple, and I think folks who do may also believe in Santa Claus.

BTW, I am aware that some actors do their own stunts. Jackie Chan was real. Cruise just takes it a step too far with the BS about what he is doing.

Hanging and dangling off a skyscraper almost 1000 meters high and now this nonsense. Fook off, Crusie!

I don't get your logic, if a stuntman coule do it or why couldn't Tom Cruise? Are people limited to one thing in life and his thing is acting?

Why would a studio or anybody bother to go to all the effort of "faking" these stunts?

I rate Cruise as a top class actor. Always have. But this BS about some of these stunts is odd. Not a hope he performed them. We are in the 21st century and have a lot of tricks and gadgets to give off the illusion.

I remember he was on the Late Late show for the Oblivion film. Owl Tubs wasn't buying it. He was bang on. I don't have to prove anything. I don't believe it. It's that simple, and I think folks who do may also believe in Santa Claus.

Equally, we are in the 21st century when film studios can't even keep their emails locked down, or spoilers from set-filming get rumbled by passers-by with smart phones. You say there's no way in hell he does it, yet equally there's no way in hell he could keep doing something that grandiose and arrogant / insane without someone, internal or external to a production, coming out and telling the truth.

Wing-walking is a thing, heck it's a thing you or I can happily do - apparently it's about £400 according to a quick google search - so it's not inconceivable a film crew could rig up something that looks like Cruise is hanging on for dear life. Going by the video he looked barely able to move. Just like wingwalking.

I believe it's genuine, because it's there and the making-ofs give me no reason to doubt; and no, I don't believe in Santa Claus :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement