Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The weather...

• 13-11-2014 11:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭

Its pure sh*te

Only out for a minute and got absolutely soaked.

I blame Enda Kenny.

Although lot of Irish Water jokes going around today.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

Wat'er you talking about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

There's no bad weather, only bad clothes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Its pure sh*te

I blame Enda Kenny.

Although lot of Irish Water jokes going around today.

Have you no sense of personal responsibility for your situation, did Enda Kenny force you out for a minute?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

Wetter than a load of aul wans at a Daniel o Donnell concert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I love that pretty much 4 days in Ireland with no rain is a drought, and yet people still seem surprised that
    A - it actually rains and
    B - that it'll wet them if they go out without an umbrella or a coat. Jesus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,450 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

I like the drama of the "orange weather warning".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

It's **** because of all the water charge protests... fight water with more water and all that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68 ✭✭peppa 1986

No rain in limerick....yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Its pure sh*te

I blame Enda Kenny.

Save it for the letters pages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Id say those on bicycles are in for a treat with puddles and cars later on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I actually saw a woman having an argument with and then chasing a cyclist across a pedestrian area in the city centre this morning

gladdened my heart

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭whitewave

peppa 1986 wrote: »
    No rain in limerick....yet

Really? It was torrential in UL this morning...damn cheap shoes mean I'm sitting with wet feet for the day :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

tis a soft day out there

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

The frustrating thing about bad weather is there is literally no one you can blame. I liking blaming people for things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

iDave wrote: »
    The frustrating thing about bad weather is there is literally no one you can blame. I liking blaming people for things.

Indeed, it's our duty as citizens to blame someone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I blame Enda Kenny personally. Causing the rain the bastard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

Got soaked so I did, feckin M50 on a motorbike. Worst of all is the rain soaked through the seam on me jocks, so now i look like i wet meself.

Xios wrote: »
    Got soaked so I did, feckin M50 on a motorbike. Worst of all is the rain soaked through the seam on me jocks, so now i look like i wet meself.

Is it dangerous on a motorbike in this weather, serious Q, would you feel wary when driving?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,644 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I got wet while inside my car.

Seriously... I was playing football on Monday and got drenched. Everything I had with me was drenched. I hopped in the car to go home and drenched the car seat. It still hasn't dried off, so I have to have a towel on my seat but that still isn't enough. To dry it off, I need to air out the car by leaving the windows open, but I can't cos it hasn't stopped feckin raining yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,701 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I was about to leave on the bike this morning when my brother rang to see if I wanted a lift in to work. I declined at first but he insisted. After seeing what it was actually like, I'm glad I took the lift.
    Bambi wrote: »
    I actually saw a woman having an argument with and then chasing a cyclist across a pedestrian area in the city centre this morning

gladdened my heart

I've no problem cycling on the footpath when it's raining, although I don't live in the city. The footpaths between my house and work are rarely populated, especially in bad weather.

When it's raining, the water collects at the sides of the road so there's a constant shower of water coming from your back wheel, as well as the rain itself, so why should I cycle on the road if the footpaths are virtually free?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

We never consented to this rain, as such we shouldn't recognise it so we won't get wet.

Is it dangerous on a motorbike in this weather, serious Q, would you feel wary when driving?

Warning /RANT/

Yes, Everything changes in the wet/winter. Stopping distances increase a huge amount, more so proportionally to cars. If you hit the brakes too hard you'll be sanding the road with your arse. Learned that the hard way when I bashed my knee a few years back. And you get some serious pricks who just gotta squeeze in between you and the car in front because they think you're letting them in, no i'm not letting you in, that's my braking distance so i don't die when someone jams on in front of me.

Additionally taking turns changes too, you can't be risky as the grip can slip much easier in the wet, ever take a turn too sharply and feel the car slide a bit, on a bike that'll put you on the road. There's a roundabout on my commute at the dundrum exit for the M50 that's really annoying, it's a sharp bend with 2 lanes and every car just has to nibble on my back wheel as I go around, like just wait the 5 seconds it take for me to safely take this bend ya jerks.

Aside from the control differences on the bike, you get cold and wet, which slows your reactions, riders with bad helmets might get steamy visors which means they can't see very well and flipping it up means you get pelted in the face with wind/rain. (so many times I've had to rely on the car lights in front of me in heavy rain, honestly, **** everyone who drives with their lights off at dawn/dusk) Got a decent helmet/visor now though.

Then there's the low visibility, other drivers might have steamy windows, spray from other cars and trucks, its dark at commuting times so you gotta watch out for people who might change lanes without looking or they may not be able to see you at all, you're essentially invisible on a bike to most drivers unless you take measures to be seen. High-Vis jacket + lights + driving posture/positioning (stay out of their blind spot), keeping command of your lane and area (try to take up the space a car by slowly shifting within your lane)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

Enda Kenny prayed to his evil troika gods for this rain as punishment for you ungrateful sods.

Stop your oul' marching and the sun will come out again! Seriously people - don't annoy Enda with your complaints over Irish Water...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

The inexplicable lifelong incredulity of the Irish when confronted with rain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 572 ✭✭✭K.C

On a positive note, I can confirm that my new boots are indeed waterproof.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,450 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Definitely would have gone with the red warning.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

K.C wrote: »
    On a positive note, I can confirm that my new boots are indeed waterproof.

So where my Da's bare feet when he walked to school. Not so much on the way home though :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

Xios wrote: »

Was out on the FJR last week in a heavy downfall on the M50 with the best of gore-tex gear and it made feck all difference. Irish rain can penetrate anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

I'm singin in the rain, just singin in the rain

What a glorious feelin , I'm happy again:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Jaysus i wouldn't put a protester out in that,the meter fitters will get lots of work done today :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,873 ✭✭✭SeanW

anncoates wrote: »
    The inexplicable lifelong incredulity of the Irish when confronted with rain.
    There's rain and there's what's been happening the last couple of days.

Getting to work tomorrow morning will be fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 474 ✭✭Candy_Girl

Wind and rain picking up again here....it's off to my warm bed, I'll worry about the floods tomorrow.

Getting to work tomorrow morning will be fun.

was it fun?

Advertisement