Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EU BB Pilot for 100 Rural Areas

Options
  • 17-02-2004 11:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭

The good news is that the BB is free for 18 months. Ireland should get 3 schemes or so. These have substantially the same provenance as the schemes in Caherciveen for example.

More good News is that wireless will be used to distribute the data around.

The bad news is that it is intended to backhaul via VSAT . I suspect that it will be this product Here while some of you may wish to further read the very interesting EU analysis of the issues which may be found :DHere .......

M

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭viking

Good news indeed but VSAT as backhaul won't suit all user's needs and latency issues etc. may disappoint some people who signup for this service.

viking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

A lots of these VSAT packages are like Traditional Leased lines. You can have as much bandwidth as you like as long as you do not exceed 2Mbits .

What would happen to the VSAT backhaul if the project was a success and the 2Mbit link got maxed out ?

M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

Better than nothing I suppose
    Ireland should get 3 schemes or so
    Any idea who, where and when decides the Irish recipients
    the schemes in Caherciveen
    Muck - any further info on this??

thegills

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Originally posted by thegills
    Better than nothing I suppose
    Any idea who, where and when decides the Irish recipientsMuck - any further info on this??

thegills

The SWRA got the Caherciveen scheme up and running. It was an earlier Euro scheme that was structured pretty much the same as the new one and is free for a period in the town with charging coming in at some stage.

Whoever 'granted' the scheme to the SWRO will be able to grant the Twister schemes too, there are max three nationwide I'd say. Dept of Comms and Dept of Rural Affairs are my only suspects. Some of the Rural stuff that is announced by the Dept of Rural Affairs is then handed over to the Dept of Comms to administer as they have the expertise. O Cuiv allocates the money but Ahern sets the rules and spends it for him in effect.

They may be 1 scheme each for the SWRA BMW and South and East. We may only get one or two and we may do more than one town on one scheme.

If you could clear out your PM's <cough>

M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

If you could clear out your PM's <cough>
    Done yesterday <bless you>

Thanks for the info. Broadband to Ballina / Killaloe would be nice. Trigger level of 400+ with eircom

• Advertisement
Advertisement