Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

E-Store development and promotion

Options
  • 15-08-2014 2:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,486 ✭✭✭✭

hi guys..
    We started a small online business..
    In parallel with learning the business from the ground up we got our own store online using opencart.
    Sales through the website are happening if slowly which since I have a "real job" and another part time business that has been fine.. Long story short I'd like to move the business along a notch and the website is where to start..

Before approaching companies I wanted to get an idea of what's what and what I need to bring to the table..

Do folks think its possible to develop an opencart store to compete in a tight market segment or is a bespoke design the way to go?

If I didn't stick with opencart would I still have a backend access to add/remove products and general edits myself?

Is it standard practice to sit with a few companies and see their ideas before committing to someone to go ahead?

Other than optomising the website regarding SEO what services do designers/developers offer and any ideas of the charges?

What data/details do I need in my folder as I walk into the designers office to best proceed ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭devildriver

_Brian wrote: »
    hi guys..
    In parallel with learning the business from the ground up we got our own store online using opencart.
    Sales through the website are happening if slowly which since I have a "real job" and another part time business that has been fine.. Long story short I'd like to move the business along a notch and the website is where to start..
    Before approaching companies I wanted to get an idea of what's what and what I need to bring to the table..

I think the main thing you need for both yourself and any prospective designer/developer is a business plan. Where do you want the business to go? Do you want to increase sales in Ireland? Is there an opportunity to sell internationally?
    Do folks think its possible to develop an opencart store to compete in a tight market segment or is a bespoke design the way to go?

Each ecommerce platform has it's pros and cons. Opencart is quite popular and as you are already making sales it's proven to work. However each designer will have their own preference of platforms and may be able to demonstrate why their choice offers a better solution than OpenCart. Again it all depends on your business, products etc.
    If I didn't stick with opencart would I still have a backend access to add/remove products and general edits myself?

If you were to change platform then you would still have access to the site backend although it would probably look a lot different. OpenCart should allow you to export all of your product data for import into another ecommerce platform.
    Is it standard practice to sit with a few companies and see their ideas before committing to someone to go ahead?

Not initially. I would have a look at some designers sites and try and narrow down the field of people you would like to work with before arranging any meetings. Look for designers that have worked on similar sites within your sector. Look for designers whose work you like and have built successful ecommerce sites.
    Other than optomising the website regarding SEO what services do designers/developers offer and any ideas of the charges?

Depends on the designer but there are some ancillary services that may be useful to you. Social media ad campaigns, copywriting, video production, email marketing, print design (offline promotion), competitor analysis etc etc
    What data/details do I need in my folder as I walk into the designers office to best proceed ?

Have a good understanding of your own business and products. Bring a product sample with you if it's something unusual or unique. And have a good understanding of where you stand in the marketplace with regard to your direct competitors.

Hope that helps.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

hi guys..

Before you get dragged off into a x-commerce is better than y-commerce conversation:

Why do you think it's necessary to move from Opencart to move your business forward?

What are you hoping to get from a new platform that Opencart can't deliver?

Personally, I would want a fairly compelling reason to make me consider starting again (perhaps you already have one).

• Registered Users Posts: 18,486 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Graham wrote: »
    Before you get dragged off into a x-commerce is better than y-commerce conversation:

Why do you think it's necessary to move from Opencart to move your business forward?

What are you hoping to get from a new platform that Opencart can't deliver?

Personally, I would want a fairly compelling reason to make me consider starting again (perhaps you already have one).

I've no reason nor appetite to move..
    But I'm open to it if it means moving the business forward through better design and functionality..

Unless you're missing some very specific functionality or you think Opencart is setup incorrectly I'd be looking for a design refresh before considering a migration to a new platform.

Did you buy a theme when you started the site or are you using the out of the box Opencart theme?

Have you looked at some of the premium Opencart themes on the market, could one of these be customised for you?

When you say 'move forward' what specifically are you hoping to achieve? A better looking site? More professional? Faster? Extra features? A quick refresh?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,486 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Graham wrote: »
    Unless you're missing some very specific functionality or you think Opencart is setup incorrectly I'd be looking for a design refresh before considering a migration to a new platform.

Did you buy a theme when you started the site or are you using the out of the box Opencart theme?

Have you looked at some of the premium Opencart themes on the market, could one of these be customised for you?

When you say 'move forward' what specifically are you hoping to achieve? A better looking site? More professional? Faster? Extra features? A quick refresh?

I have upgraded to a better looking theme which suits the site better for what I'm doing.

I have one specific function for the business that isn't currently available through OC. I'm managing without it but all direct competitors have it and I see it as a basic requirement to become more commercial.

More professional looking ?, well yes I've no design experience and have done my best but acknowledge I've probably reached my limit.

Once the site is optimised I'll need help with promotion and driving traffic.

• Advertisement

That's where I'd start looking then; missing functionality and a design refresh.

It wouldn't be unreasonable to consider 'promotion and driving traffic' a different skill set so you may want to consider this a separate project.

Keep in mind there will be no end of companies more than happy to quote you for a completely new build website, whether it's required or not (and I'm not saying its definitely not required). They may also quote for promotion and driving traffic (even if it's not their usual game).

In all cases, take up references and ask to see evidence of sales improvements on the traffic/promotion side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Beware of thinking a redesign will solve all problems. Often it just doesn't or worse, introduces new issues.

Have a good look at where your efforts aren't converting as expected and see what you can address and improve in those spaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭willows

Sometimes the perceived idea is that your competitor is doing better than you and this can be quickly found out using www.semrush.com. handy tool to see how you and your competitors are performing. Semrush data is not gospel but close enough to help.

What is the extra functionality required. Does it actually create sales or leads or is it a gimmick or curiousity that distracts the customer.

Trouble is sometimes we see 8 problems and flit from one to the next never solving any. So prioritise you issues, work through them 1 by 1. That means not even looking at other issues until the one is hand is 100% complete. I think you will see results.

1. make sure the checkout can be operated by a drunk man. ( lots of good one page checkout addons out there )
    2. make sure the call to buy now and the layout is not all over the place and clear and obvious.
    3. getting to the top of organic ranking for you choosen keywords.

Advertisement