Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UL GEM 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭RainBow_xo

tk09aag wrote: »
    So what's everyone's final list of choices, I'm torn. Keep changing mine every two seconds! :/

UL for me!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭tk09aag

RainBow_xo wrote: »
    UL for me!:D

I'm torn between Ul and rcsi, my score disappointed me this year so don't want to put it my first choice :(... Is it true that they can offer the same person more than one place ( say at round one) even if they already offered them a place in round 0??

I'm torn between Ul and rcsi, my score disappointed me this year so don't want to put it my first choice :(... Is it true that they can offer the same person more than one place ( say at round one) even if they already offered them a place in round 0??

It is true in this scenario:

1. RCSI
    2. UL
    3. UCD
    4. UCC

Let's say an applicant scored 55, he would be offered his second choice in round 0. However, if for some reason RCSI do not fill up their places, they may lower their cut off and the applicant may also be offered his first choice in round 1.

It is not true if the applicant scored 60 though. Once you are offered your first choice, you will no longer receive an offer in any of the subsequent rounds.

Does this make sense?

Right well I have 54 so if I put
    Rcsi
    UL
    Ucc
    Ucd

Then I would be offered UL in round 0. Would a person with the same score get a preference if he put UL as his first choice for example?

Right well I have 54 so if I put
    Rcsi
    UL
    Ucc
    Ucd

Then I would be offered UL in round 0. Would a person with the same score get a preference if he put UL as his first choice for example?

Yes you would be offered UL in round zero. I'm not quite sure about the order of preferences though (if you have UL second and another candidate has UL as first).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 Durf

Hope this isn't too trivial a concern, just want to pick somebodys brain...

What do people think is the best on campus accommodation for GEM students in UL? Amenities, not to old, services, security and safety, peace and quiet for study etc. etc.

Is it helpful to be as close as possible to the GEM building.

Im thinking Drumroe looks nice and central, although not as fresh as other places.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Clicli91

Hey, does anyone have any idea of accommodation off campus for GEMs (if there is any!!)? Campus accommodation is way out of my budget!!

Just chatted to on campus guys €5100 for Thomond for the year. And that is the only on campus property with availability remaining.

Looks like I might be looking for off campus options too

• Registered Users Posts: 19 ULMedsoc

Looks like Im back to UL probs, since AIB said that on the folk's income its not viable to obtain the special faculty loan that AIB have.

I went to the RCSI open day at Christmas and didnt really get a good impression from them tbh. I felt it was more if you're not rich then take a hike, since most of the students are government funded internationals. My folks are trying to get me to go there, if the points for the RCSI hit 56 this year since Dublin's closer than UL. But UL seems better in the sense its up to you to do the work, no 35 hrs of lectures a week i had at one point.

UL Medsoc, if you could give some detail on the teaching style it would be handy - is it all pbl or a mix with the didactic stuff ?

Hi Supraspinaswim,
    Basically there are 5 hours of compulsory PBL/week, you are divided into groups of 8-9 for this. There is also a tutor in the room, who acts as a facilitator and does not teach you. You are given a paper case, where you have to work out what you need to learn based on the given case. the group works together to come up with the learning objectives, and the tutor may direct you or guide you in the right direction but does not give you the learning objectives.
    then there are 1-2 sessions of compulsory clinical skills which teach you skills that may be also relevant to the case. these may be 1-2 hours long each.
    There are 3 x 30 minute anatomy and histology sessions as well, where questions are asked on the mini cases that come with the PBL case.
    On top of this there are non-compulsory lectures, which are relevant to the case, also pharmacology and statistics lectures. The amount of lectures varies from week to week. Although they are non-compulsory (i.e. you don't have to sign in) it is strongly recommended that you attend these lectures as they guide and direct your learning for the given PBL case. Does that answer all of your questions?

Durf wrote: »
    Hope this isn't too trivial a concern, just want to pick somebodys brain...

What do people think is the best on campus accommodation for GEM students in UL? Amenities, not to old, services, security and safety, peace and quiet for study etc. etc.

Is it helpful to be as close as possible to the GEM building.

Im thinking Drumroe looks nice and central, although not as fresh as other places.

Hi most people lived in either Cappavilla or Quigley this year as they are literally a stone's throw away from GEMS building. There are other accommodation villages e.g. Dromroe, and Thomand - where many more gems also lived. In each of Cappavilla, Thomand and Dromroe there are dedicated Post graduate houses as many undergraduates also live in this accommodation so there is no need to worry about undergraduates. Quigley is solely a post grad accommodation so there are mainly GEMS, SALTs and OTs there from my own experience.
    I hope that answers your questions any thing else just fire away.

• Advertisement

Clicli91 wrote: »
    Hey, does anyone have any idea of accommodation off campus for GEMs (if there is any!!)? Campus accommodation is way out of my budget!!

Hi Clicli91,

There are lots of places to stay in the on-campus accommodation at the moment. You should definitely get looking now, there were maybe 4-5 apartments full of GEMs in Brookfield this year, many more lived in Cois Gruada, Bru na Gruada and other places like Elm Park and College court. Lots of the houses near the Groody roundabout are very convenient and nicer than the houses directly across from the gates of UL if im to be honest, although cheaper, i have heard of many gems being frozen with the cold in the middle of winter and spending a LOT on bills.
    Once you get your place in the UL gems course, please request to join the UL gems facebook group and i can directly help you with anymore questions that you may have there.
    Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 colj88

Hi guys,

Just wondering anyone knows if there is an additional cost for the USMLE course in second year. Just trying to figure out financing etc.

Guys do all the offers come at once ( as in all at 6 o'clock in the morning)? Or do they go out through the day?

Also any final predictions for cut offs :):)

Only one more day to go guys ðŸ˜ðŸ˜

Are all offers going at. 6 in the morning! I'm so anxious I might wait till that time in the morning

Are all offers going at. 6 in the morning! I'm so anxious I might wait till that time in the morning

Not sure of the specific time, but I believe you register your mobile number with CAO and the nice lads there will drop you an aul text... so find a suitable text alert tone, turn your phone volume to max, sleep well and wake up to the sound of good news!

Any final predictions on cut offs?

Any final predictions on cut offs?

If there were to be any changes, I'd imagine the jump would only be by one point or so. I don't see it going any higher.

If there were to be any changes, I'd imagine the jump would only be by one point or so. I don't see it going any higher.

You don't reckon they'll go down?

You don't reckon they'll go down?

I personally don't think they will go down in Round Zero. Looking at the percentile curve, it seems the scores this year are much higher? If this is indeed the case, I don't think the scores would decrease.

• Advertisement

I personally don't think they will go down in Round Zero. Looking at the percentile curve, it seems the scores this year are much higher? If this is indeed the case, I don't think the scores would decrease.

I thought they looked very similar! I know the maximum score for this year is a lot higher but I don't think many people got that and I'd say about 90% of the other scores are identical. The 60 score is exactly the same, so is the 54, 50 etc ...???

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Lub

Only one more day to go guys ðŸ˜ðŸ˜
    Eeeeeeeek! I'm nervous and excited at the same time. Good luck everyone! :)

I thought they looked very similar! I know the maximum score for this year is a lot higher but I don't think many people got that and I'd say about 90% of the other scores are identical. The 60 score is exactly the same, so is the 54, 50 etc ...???

My apologies! I did not think of it that way but I still don't think the scores will decrease, at least not in Round Zero

Lub wrote: »
    Eeeeeeeek! I'm nervous and excited at the same time. Good luck everyone! :)

Me too :):) eeeeek

My apologies! I did not think of it that way but I still don't think the scores will decrease, at least not in Round Zero

No need for apologises! May I ask what way you looked at it?

I agree with you, it's highly likely they'll be exactly the same in round Zero or so I'm hoping!

No need for apologises! May I ask what way you looked at it?

I agree with you, it's highly likely they'll be exactly the same in round Zero or so I'm hoping!

I looked at the highest scores rather than the curves as a whole. It was silly of me to assume that the top 10% would shift the cut off points.

That being said, if the averages of both years are similar, I can't see the round Zero points decreasing? If anything they may decrease in round one and/or two

Oh no I completely agree with you! I'm hoping they stay the same. I thought they might go down because the overall number of applicants (grad and undergrad) are down this year. I guess I'm trying to calm myself down, that's all!

Oh no I completely agree with you! I'm hoping they stay the same. I thought they might go down because the overall number of applicants (grad and undergrad) are down this year. I guess I'm trying to calm myself down, that's all!

I think I read somewhere that you have 54/56? Either way, you are safe :D:D:D I am trying so hard not to think about it but the more I try, the more I think about tomorrow. If Round Zero offers are the same as Round One, we should have offers at 6am on the dot. I don't know if they are different with regards to GEM. Anywho, there's not long now :pac::pac:

Yeah 54 unfortunately! Completely missed it up. That's why I trying to find ways to convince myself that the scores aren't going up! Lol yeah not long now. Thanks for the support. I wish you all the very best too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 greentoast

Do you think round zero could possibly see 53? Or any rounds for that matter. Getting jittery!

Advertisement