Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

National Independent Party

• 13-12-2013 7:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Evolved from Sli Nios Fearr, if you will. Are they destined to head the same route as Direct Democracy or Irish Democratic Party (I think that was the correct name) neither of whom got far. My question really; is the electorate institutionalised into only giving real consideration to the established parties? Just wonder, because so many seem sick of what's there and the new starts seem to be getting nowhere....?

http://www.nationalindependentparty.ie/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

Evolved from Sli Nios Fearr, if you will. Are they destined to head the same route as Direct Democracy or Irish Democratic Party (I think that was the correct name) neither of whom got far. My question really; is the electorate institutionalised into only giving real consideration to the established parties? Just wonder, because so many seem sick of what's there and the new starts seem to be getting nowhere....?

http://www.nationalindependentparty.ie/[/QUOTE]

it's a minority, so the majority will keep voting for the "established" parties, thank goodness.

We are as a country slowly but surely getting back to a normal functioning economy, and the last thing we need is a rag-bag mixture of independants holding wildly differing views as to how things should be run, holding any sort of power.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Ispeakthetruth

rag-bag mixture of independants holding wildly differing views as to how things should be run [/QUOTE]

May I ask how you came to that conclusion? As far as I am aware they are a political party (not registered yet but according to themselves they will register soon). They also have agendas and manifesto etc. So I can't see where the idea of 'rag-bag mixture of independants' come from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I read it earlier today and the policies all seemed to be vague aspirational waffle, tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Palmach

It is too difficult to start a political party in this country. The rules about registration and financing hamstring any upstarts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,512 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Evolved from Sli Nios Fearr, if you will. Are they destined to head the same route as Direct Democracy or Irish Democratic Party (I think that was the correct name) neither of whom got far.

In fairness to DDI, 'how far they get' has yet to be established as they have so far only contested one bye-election.
    Next years local elections will be the test of where that party is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

In fairness to DDI, 'how far they get' has yet to be established as they have so far only contested one bye-election.
    Next years local elections will be the test of where that party is.
    DDI have already split. I don't think its too early to write them off as a minor lunatic fringe group.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=87131503

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,512 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Phoebas wrote: »
    DDI have already split. I don't think its too early to write them off as a minor lunatic fringe group.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=87131503

Meh, 'split' is a big exaggeration there, it'd be like saying 'Fine Gael have split' because Lucinda Creighton left the party.
    As I understand it only the Cork branch of DDI have left, and there are efforts underway by the originals to reform the main contentious issue (the inner council thing). We'll see how it plays out.
    So again I think its ridiculously early to obituary them before they've even contested their second election.

FWIW I'm not personally a fan and find Ben an hilarious figure of fun and Ray W to be a slightly sinister background figure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Meh, 'split' is a big exaggeration there, it'd be like saying 'Fine Gael have split' because Lucinda Creighton left the party.
    As I understand it only the Cork branch of DDI have left, and there are efforts underway by the originals to reform the main contentious issue (the inner council thing). We'll see how it plays out.
    So again I think its ridiculously early to obituary them before they've even contested their second election.

FWIW I'm not personally a fan and find Ben an hilarious figure of fun and Ray W to be a slightly sinister background figure.

Apples and oranges.
    A major party like FG can easily enough sustain even senior members leaving, but when relatively bug chunks of a fledgling like DDI are jumping overboard before they even get going then it looks like something more substantial.

I haven't heard anything out of DDI in the last couple of months - apart from the split and their leader getting into trouble with the law. Do they actually engage in normal political activity?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

They always strike me as a rag-tag bunch of "can't someone else pay for it" fantasists.

But we'll see if 2014 gives them the oxygen to survive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

they seem to be a bit libertarian or right wing defiantly not what Ireland needs more of

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭raymon

I wish this new party every good luck.

Need a lot more time to develop policies though.
    If introducing SSIAs is their number 1 economic stimulus then I am already dubious.
    Also very weak policies in the area of taxation.

Good luck though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

they seem to be a bit libertarian or right wing defiantly not what Ireland needs more of
    Like we are stuffed to the gills with "right wing" parties as is?

Personally I'd highly welcome a fiscally conservative party, with a socially liberal outlook. The PDs were this in name only at the end, having long since sold their souls to the FF devil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Indeed!

How on earth are DDI libertarian?

They are a mob.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭grainnewhale

Nodin wrote: »
    I read it earlier today and the policies all seemed to be vague aspirational waffle, tbh.

They must be following F.F and F.G lead then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭raymon

What party do you identify with yourself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭grainnewhale

raymon wrote: »
    What party do you identify with yourself?

Naturally there is no one party I would agree with on every issue. But I cant see any major differences with F.F and F.G. I do vote S.F. for the following reasons. They are the only Irish party seeking a united Ireland. They are the hardest working party. They don't have their meetings in pubs and decide on policies while pissed. They don't pick candidates soley because they played on a GAA team or worked for RTE.
    Do I think S.F jump on the bandwagon of every protest right or wrong. yes.
    Do I think they try too hard to be an all inclusive liberal party. yes.
    Would I agree on all their policies on the economy and welfare. no.
    would I like to see them in government. sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Nodin wrote: »
    Naturally there is no one party I would agree with on every issue. But I cant see any major differences with F.F and F.G. I do vote S.F. for the following reasons. They are the only Irish party seeking a united Ireland. They are the hardest working party. They don't have their meetings in pubs and decide on policies while pissed. They don't pick candidates soley because they played on a GAA team or worked for RTE.
    Do I think S.F jump on the bandwagon of every protest right or wrong. yes.
    Do I think they try too hard to be an all inclusive liberal party. yes.
    Would I agree on all their policies on the economy and welfare. no.
    would I like to see them in government. sure.

Funny, probably the most vague and aspirational waffle of a policy is Sinn Fein's aim of a united Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

raymon wrote: »
    I wish this new party every good luck.

Need a lot more time to develop policies though.
    If introducing SSIAs is their number 1 economic stimulus then I am already dubious.
    Also very weak policies in the area of taxation.

Good luck though.

There policies are very weak all round.

Like a lot of these type of parties they are against some things (the Euro, property tax) without any coherent rationale for their stance and they make a big thing out of our so-called national resources (24,000 new jobs in forestry - with what trees?) as if the 1930s DeValera ideal of self-sufficiency was still relevant in today's Ireland.

A protest party with a traditionalist, introverted stance.

Advertisement