Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FF "just dont seem to be going anywhere" , says FF top brass

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,715 ✭✭✭golfball37

Could Eamonn be teeing himself up for a transfer to his grandads' first party? A sort of Toibín in reverse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭jhegarty

I can suggest somewhere they can go.

But I fear the language I would use would get me a ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭raymon

golfball37 wrote: »
    Could Eamonn be teeing himself up for a transfer to his grandads' first party? A sort of Toibín in reverse.

You could be right , he threatened to jump before.

However the "Toibin going to Fianna Fail" story was a fabrication by a certain FF rag

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,527 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Not sure why Éamon Ó Cuív is getting excited. It will take at least two elections to see a decent FF recovery, anyone in FF that does not realize that is away with the fairies. I can't see the party moving up in the polls a whole lot until after the local elections when there are new faces on the ground, and hopefully new policies.

Éamon might be concerned that his political career might be over by the time an FF recovery is well underway. The same goes for a large section of the parliamentary party. It will take time for FF to recovery, something that some TD's do not really have.
    raymon wrote: »
    You could be right , he threatened to jump before.

Wouldn't happen in a million years - something which he has completely ruled out before.

Not sure why Éamon Ó Cuív is getting excited. It will take at least two elections to see a decent FF recovery, anyone in FF that does not realize that is away with the fairies. I can't see the party moving up in the polls a whole lot until after the local elections when there are new faces on the ground, and hopefully new policies.

Éamon might be concerned that his political career might be over by the time an FF recovery is well underway. The same goes for a large section of the parliamentary party. It will take time for FF to recovery, something that some TD's do not really have.

Wouldn't happen in a million years - something which he has completely ruled out before.

You could be right.

Did you guys ever track down the TD who said "we have no narrative, we have no identity, we have no idea of the sort of party we want to be. "

Was it the young Dev as well ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,527 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

You could be right.

Did you guys ever track down the TD who said "we have no narrative, we have no identity, we have no idea of the sort of party we want to be. "

Was it the young Dev as well ?

A quote from the Indo? Sure don't you say that the Indo is a rag, and always makes up everything?

A quote from the Indo? Sure don't you say that the Indo is a rag, and always makes up everything?

It is a rag , and it does print a lot of things that aren't true , and I wouldn't be surprised if the quote is actually false. Just wanted to get the FF line on it.

It is a rag , and it does print a lot of things that aren't true , and I wouldn't be surprised if the quote is actually false. Just wanted to get the FF line on it.

You can't have it both ways! ;)

Being honest, I didn't see the article that you are referring to. I don't think anyone will be panicking too much about an Independent article anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

But what would spark this recovery? Their main selling point was 'we're the party in power - we can hand out goodies to voters and jobs to supporters.' They've never been out of power for more than 4 1/2 years since 1932. Ten years without it could kill them for good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

The only problem with that theory (that it will take two elections to fully recover) is that a lot of party members and staunch voters won't be around to see it either...as I have pointed out before, the party stopped attracting new young members a long long time ago...if they were they wouldn't be publicly seeking candidates as they have been over the last 12 months...

It also shouldn't be forgotten that they are on 22% of people who have indicated a preference...a massive amount of don't knows exist, surely these people are the people clammering for a new party therefore unlikely to go back to FF...22% is the absolute best case scenario for FF...more likely high teens at best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,610 ✭✭✭eigrod

The only problem with that theory (that it will take two elections to fully recover) is that a lot of party members and staunch voters won't be around to see it either...as I have pointed out before, the party stopped attracting new young members a long long time ago...if they were they wouldn't be publicly seeking candidates as they have been over the last 12 months...

It also shouldn't be forgotten that they are on 22% of people who have indicated a preference...a massive amount of don't knows exist, surely these people are the people clammering for a new party therefore unlikely to go back to FF...22% is the absolute best case scenario for FF...more likely high teens at best.

I don't imagine they'll do to well on transfers either (at least I hope they don't).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

jhegarty wrote: »
    I can suggest somewhere they can go.

But I fear the language I would use would get me a ban.

The board of the CRC might be vacated shortly........ Replace like with like. :D

goose2005 wrote: »
    But what would spark this recovery? Their main selling point was 'we're the party in power - we can hand out goodies to voters and jobs to supporters.' They've never been out of power for more than 4 1/2 years since 1932. Ten years without it could kill them for good.

They will have to offer a realistic alternative to the current government. I think the bailout program limited FF severely in that regard, although now that we are exiting it that could change somewhat.
    . . . the party stopped attracting new young members a long long time ago . . .

Did they? Recruitment within Ógra Fianna Fáil has been higher this year than it has been in recent years. The party is the largest on a number of campuses across the country. A lot of people also realize that now can be a good time to join Fianna Fáil if you are interested in standing for election down the line, so new faces are being attracted to the party in the same way that people like Leo Varadkar and Lucinda Creighton joined FG after their meltdown in the early 2000's.

A number of polls over the last year or so have shown FF to be winning the highest level support amongst 18 - 35 year age bracket. Its still a challenge, but FF's weakness is amongst the mid-age bracket who are stuck in negative equity.

Also, I think it is important to remember that FF is on 25% outside of Dublin and over 30% in some places. It is the lack of elected representatives on the ground in Dublin that is having an impact on the party. That won't change very much until after the local elections campaign and the next General Election. FF's recovery will take much longer than just one Dáil term.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,964 ✭✭✭For Reals

Joining Ógra Fianna Fáil in University is a right of passage. There will always be those lining up to join. We must stop viewing Fianna Fáil as simply a political party. There is an 'us and them' attitude prevalent within the member mindset. It's the Fianna Fáil family against the rest of the country. We have seen time and time again it's Me, Party, Country, in that order.

When you keep this in mind it stands to reason they will always have ground support of a certain rate, guaranteed. No matter what.
    The best the Irish people can hope for is that the party stays out long enough for the country to not just recover, but hopefully cast aside the short sightedness of polices drawn up based on the coming election with little regard to the future. All parties are guilty of that and indeed, us for requesting a quick fix, but none more so than Fianna Fáil who don't even have core values they even pretend to pay lip service to.

I mean, when were Fianna Fáil going anywhere? Short term vote grabbing policies, that's pretty much it.
    Fianna Fáil are a tradition, not a political agenda or set of beliefs. As I like to say, more of a Ponzi scheme than a political movement or party.

To use the original quote: "The finest trick of the devil is to persuade you that he does not exist". Charles Baudelaire

They will have to offer a realistic alternative to the current government. I think the bailout program limited FF severely in that regard, although now that we are exiting it that could change somewhat.

Did they? Recruitment within Ógra Fianna Fáil has been higher this year than it has been in recent years. The party is the largest on a number of campuses across the country. A lot of people also realize that now can be a good time to join Fianna Fáil if you are interested in standing for election down the line, so new faces are being attracted to the party in the same way that people like Leo Varadkar and Lucinda Creighton joined FG after their meltdown in the early 2000's.

A number of polls over the last year or so have shown FF to be winning the highest level support amongst 18 - 35 year age bracket. Its still a challenge, but FF's weakness is amongst the mid-age bracket who are stuck in negative equity.

Also, I think it is important to remember that FF is on 25% outside of Dublin and over 30% in some places. It is the lack of elected representatives on the ground in Dublin that is having an impact on the party. That won't change very much until after the local elections campaign and the next General Election. FF's recovery will take much longer than just one Dáil term.

But why is joining Ogra Fianna Fail good for the country. Would it not be better to take the good people in Fianna Fail and rebrand , leaving the bad behind.

Have you ever asked yourself if increased membership of Ogra/ FF is good for the country?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Granted besides political chancers who are in it merely for advancement and students who simply do not know better...the membership is falling, I can only speak of my time in the organisation there was never any youth influx into the local cumman network (which is the backbone of the organisation)

Here is FFs real bind.

You say students are joining at a healthy rate, and we have only FFs word on that...I do question you're strength in the 18-35 bracket, this is the generation of emigration, clubs have been decimated up and down the country because of it, do you expect us to believe that those that have remained are more inclined to vote FF??? Maybe you are right...

The negative equity generation are the 30-49 bracket, these people will never vote FF again, these people are also currently rearing the next generation of voters...I can't see them flocking to FF...quiet the opposite I'd imagine, remember the loyalty FF had over generations of families, that has been severely eroded...I'm one of them...

The next generation are the 50-65, it is the children of this generation that are the one's who have emigrated, or are part of the severe youth unemployment issue the state is struggling to cope with...again difficult to see how these people would vote or transfer to FF...

The 65 plus age bracket, are more likely to be loyal to FF after voting for them for generations, but I'd imagine you have lost the floating FF voter...blame Lehmans...

Where do you think the massive "don't knows" will fall?

Charlie Haughey ensured FF would never be in a single party Govenment again.
    Bertie ensured FF would never be the senior party in Government again.
    Brian Cowen...well he just partied and partied and partied...

As Raymon mentioned, a rebranding is the only option...

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭IrishProd

Did they? Recruitment within Ógra Fianna Fáil has been higher this year than it has been in recent years. The party is the largest on a number of campuses across the country.

Wrong, I don't know where you got your facts but as someone who has friends involved in Fine Gael, Labour, Sinn Féin and Fianna Fáil in various colleges they will tell you that Fianna Fáil have even less members then Labour and Sinn Féin, with Fine Gael being the largest in 90% of the Irish colleges. In fact Sinn Féin have outgrown Labour in many campuses to be the second largest, something that would have been incomprehensible ten years ago.

If this is a reflection for what the future is for Sinn Féin in Ireland and the growing support that they have in "young, college educated, middle Ireland" then it is very positive, on the otherhand the future looks very bleak for Fianna Fáil.

IrishProd wrote: »
    Wrong, I don't know where you got your facts but as someone who has friends involved in Fine Gael, Labour, Sinn Féin and Fianna Fáil in various colleges they will tell you that Fianna Fáil have even less members then Labour and Sinn Féin, with Fine Gael being the largest in 90% of the Irish colleges. In fact Sinn Féin have outgrown Labour in many campuses to be the second largest, something that would have been incomprehensible ten years ago.

As someone who is very familiar with the membership of societies in colleges, that is absolute rubbish. Labour has seen a colossal drop in its membership figures which started after they entered government, and it has become much worse this year. In fact Labour Youth is seeing mass defections, having held a tiny conference a few weeks ago.

Sinn Féin arent even registered on most campuses you chancer!

Fine Gael remain very strong along with Ógra Fianna Fáil.
    For Reals wrote: »
    Joining Ógra Fianna Fáil in University is a right of passage. There will always be those lining up to join.

No, it seems to go beyond that at the moment. A lot of young people seem to be contesting conventions for the local elections, and some will likely become councillors. You will have TD's elected next time around that will first be elected next May.

As someone who is very familiar with the membership of societies in colleges, that is absolute rubbish. Labour has seen a colossal drop in its membership figures which started after they entered government, and it has become much worse this year. In fact Labour Youth is seeing mass defections, having held a tiny conference a few weeks ago.

Sinn Féin arent even registered on most campuses you chancer!

Fine Gael remain very strong along with Ógra Fianna Fáil.

No, it seems to go beyond that at the moment. A lot of young people seem to be contesting conventions for the local elections, and some will likely become councillors. You will have TD's elected next time around that will first be elected next May.

Some simple research and browsing on your behalf will prove that all the above are wrong, Sinn Féin are registered in every single university in Ireland (26+6) bar University of Limerick where they have unofficial status, which will be resolved soon, also you are deluding yourself with Fianna Fáil's popularity amongst young people and people in general.

In UCC alone from what I have heard from friends down there who are in Fianna Fáil is that there are only 6 active people in their Fianna Fáil cumann and they are disappointed with the way things are going, but yet Meehole Martin lied two months on the radio that they were the largest party in UCC. lol.:D Hilarious!

Sorry Oscar bur FF will never have 84 TDs again, they will be lucky to have half of that in the next election and expect to lose a huge chunk of your seats in the local elections, people do not forget or forgive easily what your party has done to the country.

Some simple research and browsing on your behalf will prove that all the above are wrong, Sinn Féin are registered in every single university in Ireland (26+6) bar University of Limerick where they have unofficial status, which will be resolved soon, also you are deluding yourself with Fianna Fáil's popularity amongst young people.

Having sat on a board that governs college societies, I can assure you that Sinn Féin are not registered in more than UL.

• Advertisement

Having sat on a board that governs college societies, I can assure you that Sinn Féin are not registered in more than UL.

You really are full of sh*t.

Sinn Féin, Trinity College Dublin

Sinn Féin, University College Cork

Sinn Féin, Dublin City University

Sinn Féin, University College Dublin

Sinn Féin, National University of Ireland Maynooth

Sinn Féin, National University of Ireland Galway

Sinn Féin, Queen's University Belfast

Sinn Féin, University of Ulster

Sinn Féin, Cork Institute of Technology

Sinn Féin, Dundalk Institute of Technology

Sinn Féin, Galway-Mayo Institute of Technology

That list is also growing, scary for you Fianna Fáilers who deny the reality of things and play down Sinn Féin eh? Sinn Féin have not seen this growth in support in the south since the Civil War and before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,474 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Sinn Fein have eaten into the republican FF vote and also their traditional working class voters. If there ever was a United Ireland (not anytime soon of course), then SF would be in power, no question abou that.

Floating middle-class voters that had a bias towards FF when things were "good" have gone in the main to FG at the other end. FG have also really consolidated their core-support at the same time.
    The FF party just has no credibility at all, with most reasoned voters. Their mis-management of the economy was huge, too big in fact to be forgiven or forgotten anytime soon. Their attempts to re-write history are pathetic.

Recruitment within Ógra Fianna Fáil has been higher this year than it has been in recent years. The party is the largest on a number of campuses across the country. .

It appears that a couple of posters are disputing the second part of this statement. Do you have anything to support your claim, like a comparison to the other parties and the names of the universities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,964 ✭✭✭For Reals

All the members of Fianna Fail I know, have family, (parents/uncles) in Fianna Fail. It's a family business. I've never personally come across somebody who joined off their own back having weighed up their options. I can't see new blood on the increase except for the expected sons and daughters of current member families.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Tramps Like Us

Thats not true Sierra Oscar. You mustn't have done your job properly if you believe that. I was chair of a SF cumann in a college (not UL) for a while and we'd have your lads and some central organizer coming over on recruiting day demanding to know how many members we got so they could flagellate themselves in delight if they got more - needless to say I didnt humour the fumble attempts at nosing (one lad, the central organiser - always tried to ingratiate himself by saying "an phoblacht abú" with a cheesy grin - he was told to f off of course. )

The young people who join FF are the worst of the worst imo. What sort of young person joins the party who destroyed their future - middle class ones who want to get on the gravy train. I actually had more time for young FG

It is actually true that FF are pretty popular in colleges. A depressing reality. Dont forget that many young people have been raised in electric gated semi ds and all they know is greed. The parent lost the plot and the run of themselves, the kids are raised this way.

Still no response from Sierra Oscar after having his lies dismantled, can't say I am surprised. Typical arrogance from a Fianna Fáíl charlatan thinking they can make these outrageous claims, what is hilarious was him claiming that he was on a college board that governs societies as if that would make his lies more believable.

Fianna Fáilers.......:rolleyes:

It is actually true that FF are pretty popular in colleges.

Not from my observations and in the recent university I went to, I can assure you, they are despised more than Labour.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Would be good to get actual numbers here.

• Advertisement

jank wrote: »
    Would be good to get actual numbers here.

I have asked for those Ogra figures from Sierra already.

I wasn't expecting to get them but I didn't want to leave the dubious Ogra claims unchallenged.

In any case : the fact that any young person would join Ogra or Fianna Fail is very sad

In Dublin colleges FF are first or second in terms of membership, sad but true

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Not the first fianna failer not able to back up a statement with a few facts.

Not the first fianna failer not able to back up a statement with a few facts.

Eh, how about this to begin with? Important to note that the article refers to last year, and does not take into account a spike in membership this year. It is a similar story across Ireland.

DCU Ógra Fianna Fail the biggest political society on campus
    DCU Ógra Fianna Fail are the biggest political society in DCU after more than doubling their membership this year.
    DCU Sinn Féin is down two members from last year, with 25 students signing up during the Clubs and Socs days.

Poor Sinn Féin, they can't even outdo Fianna Fáil when the party is supposedly a toxic brand.

I don't really sit around on my computer to answer questions from random forum members on demand. However, since you seem to think it is a requirement to do so - can you please provide me with one reliable independent source that states that SF is the largest society on any campus in Ireland?

Eh, how about this to begin with? Important to note that the article refers to last year, and does not take into account a spike in membership this year. It is a similar story across Ireland.

Poor Sinn Féin, they can't even outdo Fianna Fáil when the party is supposedly a toxic brand.

I don't really sit around on my computer to answer questions from random forum members on demand. However, since you seem to think it is a requirement to do so - can you please provide me with one reliable independent source that states that SF is the largest society on any campus in Ireland?

So now your saying DCU sinn fein is down two members, I thought you said they weren't in the colleges?

You'll go far in fianna fail alright.

Its like watching dermot ahern lying to us all the day before the troika took over the country, or as ivan yates called them " the nodding donkeys".

So now your saying DCU sinn fein is down two members, I thought you said they weren't in the colleges?

You'll go far in fianna fail alright.

Its like watching dermot ahern lying to us all the day before the troika took over the country, or as ivan yates called them " the nodding donkeys".

Where did I say there were not in all of the colleges?

I am still waiting for you to provide me with a link that says SF are stronger than Ógra in Irish colleges. Will you please provide a reliable source?

DCU Ógra Fianna Fail are the biggest political society in DCU after more than doubling their membership this year.
    DCU Sinn Féin is down two members from last year, with 25 students signing up during the Clubs and Socs days.

• Advertisement

What's this?

What's this?

Does that equate to me stating that SF are not registered in all campuses in Ireland? No, so stop trying to put words in my mouth.

Besides, it has been a few years since I have been involved at that level so perhaps things have changed. What hasn't changed is this though - Ógra Fianna Fáil continue to dominate Sinn Féin Republican Youth across Irish universities. I am still waiting for you to post a link that says otherwise.

Does that equate to me stating that SF are not registered in all campuses in Ireland? No, so stop trying to put words in my mouth.

Besides, it has been a few years since I have been involved at that level so perhaps things have changed. What hasn't changed is this though - Ógra Fianna Fáil continue to dominate Sinn Féin Republican Youth across Irish universities. I am still waiting for you to post a link that says otherwise.

I don't really care whether they are or not.

Its quite funny as a fianna fail mouthpiece how you'll twist and turn when your story has been shown to be false! So now your saying you haven't really been involved in a few years.

You'll have a great career in fianna fail alright.

Where did I say there were not in all of the colleges?

I am still waiting for you to provide me with a link that says SF are stronger than Ógra in Irish colleges. Will you please provide a reliable source?

Oh wow, in one college you got some more new members in 2012 but not much more than Sinn Féin, good for you.

Despite saying that
    Sinn Féin are not registered in more than UL.

Now you are saying they are, after having been caught lying. Here are some recent photos of Fianna Fáil's and Sinn Féin new members in University College Cork.

UCC, Fianna Fáil cumann

UCC, Sinn Féín cumann

Hmmmmm, I wonder which one is stronger and has more members?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭grainnewhale

goose2005 wrote: »

You answered your own question. Simply ten years of F.G and lab and then F.G and S.F. I would predict a landslide for F.F and a one party government.

• Advertisement

I would predict a landslide for F.F and a one party government.

When exactly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

If its true then im sure Oraga FF promised the students if you join we will give you free drink and free nights out. When them students graduate and realise they have to emigrate im sure they wont renew their memberships.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

jjbrien wrote: »
    If its true then im sure Oraga FF promised the students if you join we will give you free drink and free nights out. When them students graduate and realise they have to emigrate im sure they wont renew their memberships.

Promises, promises, that sounds like FF alright.

UCD FF actually do promise free hot whiskey lol!

UCD FF actually do promise free hot whiskey lol!

It is forbidden for societies and clubs in campuses to advertise and use alcohol for any kind of promotion and marketing.

Tell me more, so I can get the Fianna Failures fined and banned.

It is forbidden for societies and clubs in campuses to advertise and use alcohol for any kind of promotion and marketing.

Tell me more, so I can get the Fianna Failures fined and banned.
    Beyond politics altogether, the KBC and its members are renowned for partying and holding some of UCD's legendary drinks receptions, the first of which is our annual Hot Whiskey Session on the Thursday of Freshers' Week.
    http://www.ucd.ie/kbc/about.htm

Thats what they tell everyone at the stall, its their first event of the year

As you can tell from that page they are obviously a heavyweight, intellectual bunch.

Beyond politics altogether, the KBC and its members are renowned for partying and holding some of UCD's legendary drinks receptions, the first of which is our annual Hot Whiskey Session on the Thursday of Freshers' Week.

Other events include Trad. Nights, and Term Parties and numerous Dáil Bar visits. The Cumann always has an action packed year planned for its members. Whether you are interested in politics or not, it is worth being a member of the Kevin Barry Cumann if only for the sessions, craic and above all the friends you will make during the year.

Numerous Dail bar visits. Now that makes me mad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,610 ✭✭✭eigrod

Numerous Dail bar visits. Now that makes me mad.

That piece you quoted, that's an extract from a script for a Father Ted episode. Surely ? Has to be? I can almost hear Father Noel Furlong say it.

Advertisement