Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it possible to be a Sinn Fein member/supoporter and not support IRA actions?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭rockatansky

NIMAN wrote: »

Is it possible to be a Sinn Fein member/supoporter and not support IRA actions?

As time progresses and SF strive to be accepted by the voting public, North and South, as a 'normal' political party, I got to wondering if its possible that we will ever hear any of their members/TDs etc actually condemn the actions of the IRA?

Surely a time will come when someone who may want to get into politics will agree with their policies and beliefs, but find the military actions of the past abhorrent? Will that someone ever be able to speak about IRA actions without adding in the usual "... yes, but there was murder on all sides and by State forces etc etc".

Short Answer No. As someone has said already you would probably asked to politely to hand in your membership card for condemning IRA actions.

Absolutely it is possible to vote for Sinn Fein and not be a supporter of the IRA, there are many Local Sinn Fein activists who do excellent work at community level.

You will never ever hear Sinn Fein condemn any actions carried out by the IRA, and rightly so. By doing so would be a grave dishonor to all those who have died for their cause and they would lose a massive amount of their core vote in the Republican Community.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Tramps Like Us

Short Answer No. As someone has said already you would probably asked to politely to hand in your membership card for condemning IRA actions.

Absolutely it is possible to vote for Sinn Fein and not be a supporter of the IRA, there are many Local Sinn Fein activists who do excellent work at community level.

You will never ever hear Sinn Fein condemn any actions carried out by the IRA, and rightly so. By doing so would be a grave dishonor to all those who have died for their cause and they would lose a massive amount of their core vote in the Republican Community.

Thats an absolute lie. I was a member and I knew people who condemned the IRA outright nevermind certain IRA actions (pretty much every member would be critical of certain things that happened, the other claim I highlighted is also untrue) one of whom even works for the party.

Thats an absolute lie. I was a member and I knew people who condemned the IRA outright nevermind certain IRA actions (pretty much every member would be critical of certain things that happened, the other claim I highlighted is also untrue) one of whom even works for the party.

Sorry, would this have been within party circles that they would have condemned them or would they have stood up in public and condemned them? What about at an Ard Fheis? Has there ever been a motion tabled by a Cumman condemning the actions of the IRA?

Out of all of Sinn Feins elected representatives, both north and south, can you give me a list of the people who 'who condemned the IRA outright'? I wouldn't mind contacting their constituency offices and discussing their condemnation with them.

Sorry, would this have been within party circles that they would have condemned them or would they have stood up in public and condemned them? What about at an Ard Fheis?Has there ever been a motion tabled by an Cumman condemning the actions of the IRA?

Ard Fheis are stage managed almost to an extreme, nothing controversial generally gets there - plus cumann wouldn't put motions like that forward, why would they? What use would it serve? Plus motions have to be agreed by cumann, I doubt you'd get a consensus to put forward a motion like that.

Within party circles, on facebook, in debates, they wouldn't be public figures like but besides heated debates nothing happened, no one kicked out or anything

Sorry, would this have been within party circles that they would have condemned them or would they have stood up in public and condemned them? What about at an Ard Fheis? Has there ever been a motion tabled by a Cumman condemning the actions of the IRA?

Out of all of Sinn Feins elected representatives, both north and south, can you give me a list of the people who 'who condemned the IRA outright'? I wouldn't mind contacting their constituency offices and discussing their condemnation with them.

You are shifting the goalposts now, I dont know any elected reps who condemned the IRA outright - and I wont be giving you the names of the people I know who do

• Advertisement

Ard Fheis are stage managed almost to an extreme, nothing controversial generally gets there - plus cumann wouldn't put motions like that forward, why would they? What use would it serve? Plus motions have to be agreed by cumann, I doubt you'd get a consensus to put forward a motion like that.

Within party circles, on facebook, in debates, they wouldn't be public figures like but besides heated debates nothing happened, no one kicked out or anything

Within party circles, amongst members I have no doubt there have been many people for have been critical of the IRA. But its like everything else in life, that's family business and is kept within the family.

Facebook - Ah here.

Debates - Can you supply me with evidence of any public debate where a Sinn Fein representative has come out openly and condemned the IRA, whether it is for action, or outright?? You've have stated what I have said is 'an absolute lie' so by all mean please prove to me that it is.

You are shifting the goalposts now, I dont know any elected reps who condemned the IRA outright - and I wont be giving you the names of the people I know who do

I'm sorry but how am I moving the goal posts??:confused: If you read again what I wrote, you will clearly see that I am referring to Sinn Fein as a party.

You will never ever hear Sinn Fein condemn any actions carried out by the IRA

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭IrishProd

I'm sorry but how am I moving the goal posts??:confused: If you read again what I wrote, you will clearly see that I am referring to Sinn Fein as a party.

You will never ever hear Sinn Fein condemn any actions carried out by the IRA

Actually they have, some simple research or googling on your part will prove you wrong, you obviously have a selective memory besides being selective with your false outrage.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

If you say its gibberish I will have to agree, you are the expert. After all.

Sorry my reference to blueshirts was about their political beliefs, not a facist army.

I think you know that when john brutal was wetting himself about prince Charles . He certainly didn't mention political life. Although his spin doctors did afterwards.

Even you cant be stupid enough to believe that Dev was genuinely offered a 32 county Ireland

So it wasn't apartheid. It was sectarian bigoted discrimination. Aided or at best ignored by the irish goverement

grainnewhale, you contribute virtually nothing to the forum but what you apparently think are smart remarks. Clean up your act or face a permaban on return. Week off to think about it.

moderately,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

And frankly, the rest of this thread is little better. Closing this now because otherwise I can see myself having to come back in 24 hours with the cards and banhammer.

Noise to signal ratio far too high.

moderately,
    Scofflaw

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement