Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Late Taxi to Dublin airport Premier Inn

• 21-08-2013 7:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 135 ✭✭

Hi,Premier Inn airport shuttle stops at 11 pm my flight arrives in after midnight, taxi would be the solution but will the taxi guys be reluctant to take a short journey and small fare?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,492 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Yes, unless there is a very short (taxi) queue in which case they will be glad of your business knowing that (1) you will give them a big tip out of guilt and (2) they will get back to the head of the queue reasonably quickly.

In Heathrow your situation is catered for because if a taxi gets back within 30 minutes, he can do a fast track to get closer to the top of the queue, that's why the black cabs will take you to nearby places like Staines with no hassle.

If there is a large taxi queue in Dublin airport when you arrive then you will get serious grief trying to get a taxi to a hotel in the airport.

Of course this being boards, be prepared for the high horse merchants telling you that you're entitled to demand to be taken to your hotel and that anyone who refuses should be reported to the regulator.

Hailo might be a solution but you'll have to arrange to be picked up somewhere other than the taxi rank at arrivals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

coylemj wrote: »
    entitled to demand to be taken to your hotel

Because you are.

z

zagmund wrote: »
    Because you are.

z

Q.E.D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

But there's a re-entry ticket system in place at Dublin airport too, the driver won't have to rejoin the queue from the back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

Or you could book a local firm from swords and make the arrangement to meet them where the buses drop off. You give them a bell when you collect your bags and by the time you get to the bus stops they should be able to spin in and pick you up with no waiting or hassle. If they know it's a local fare and they won't get stuck inthe Kesh (what the taxi drivers call the queuing system!) Then they won't mind as much that it's a short journey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

A taxi would be as well heading off at midnight anyway as going back to the airport.

However it is a sad indictment of the regulatory system that a visitor cannot get a taxi to wherever they need to go without getting grief from jobsworths.

ardmacha wrote: »
    A taxi would be as well heading off at midnight anyway as going back to the airport.

It depends, sometimes you can have a raft of planes arriving after midnight, it all depends on the time of the week and whether there was congestion, bad weather or strikes in various airports around Europe which can lead to delays and backlogs that result in a lot of late arrivals in Dublin.
    ardmacha wrote: »
    However it is a sad indictment of the regulatory system that a visitor cannot get a taxi to wherever they need to go without getting grief from jobsworths.

It's nothing to do with 'jobsworth'. Taxi drivers aren't following silly rules, they're just trying to make a living and what most people don't realise is that the queue outside the airport terminal building is only the tip of the iceberg of what can be a massive queue of taxis, most of whom are kept in a holding area within the airport so if a passenger comes out of the terminal and asks to be taken somewhere only a mile or two away, you can see how the taxi driver might just be a little bit p1ssed off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

It depends, sometimes you can have a raft of planes arriving after midnight, it all depends on the time of the week and whether there was congestion, bad weather or strikes in various airports around Europe which can lead to delays and backlogs that result in a lot of late arrivals in Dublin.

It's nothing to do with 'jobsworth'. Taxi drivers aren't following silly rules, they're just trying to make a living and what most people don't realise is that the queue outside the airport terminal building is only the tip of the iceberg of what can be a massive queue of taxis, most of whom are kept in a holding area within the airport so if a passenger comes out of the terminal and asks to be taken somewhere only a mile or two away, you can see how the taxi driver might just be a little bit p1ssed off.

You work the airport then you take what comes along, you don't want to do it then surrender your permit, there are many taxi drivers trying to get permits who can't

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

It's the nature of the job. Im sure they'd love if every fare was a 3 hour spin for a couple of hundred quid, but it's not, and seeing as it's a customer service position, they don't have the right to moan at the paying customer just because their not travelling far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Joe10000

Yes, unless there is a very short (taxi) queue in which case they will be glad of your business knowing that (1) you will give them a big tip out of guilt and (2) they will get back to the head of the queue reasonably quickly.

In Heathrow your situation is catered for because if a taxi gets back within 30 minutes, he can do a fast track to get closer to the top of the queue, that's why the black cabs will take you to nearby places like Staines with no hassle.

If there is a large taxi queue in Dublin airport when you arrive then you will get serious grief trying to get a taxi to a hotel in the airport.

Of course this being boards, be prepared for the high horse merchants telling you that you're entitled to demand to be taken to your hotel and that anyone who refuses should be reported to the regulator.

Hailo might be a solution but you'll have to arrange to be picked up somewhere other than the taxi rank at arrivals.

Did you just make everything in your reply up ? Possibly your opinion but certainly not based on any facts.

There is re entry system for drivers who are back within 30 minutes, don't feel bad or be guilt tripped into a large tip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 135 ✭✭smalltalk

Hi,thanks for the replies,whatever the rights and wrongs of the airport taxis attitude to short journeys and small fares its all too much hassle,I will book a hotel with a shuttle that runs past midnight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

smalltalk wrote: »
    Hi,thanks for the replies,whatever the rights and wrongs of the airport taxis attitude to short journeys and small fares its all too much hassle,I will book a hotel with a shuttle that runs past midnight.

Bewleys Hotel is usually around 60 quid and provides a 24 hour shuttle service.

Used it twice now and its very handy for the early flights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

I know for yourself it's less hassle, but yet again the Dublin Airport taxi drivers actually win the day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,413 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I once had to get a taxi from the airport arrivals to the DAA long stay car park.
    The driver in the queue would not take me, I called the attendant and he told the driver in no uncertain terms that he was obliged to take me.
    OP don't change your plans for the sake of the taxi driver

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Joe10000

How is it too much hassle ? You get into the car and tell the guy where you want to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

I once had to get a taxi from the airport arrivals to the DAA long stay car park.
    The driver in the queue would not take me, I called the attendant and he told the driver in no uncertain terms that he was obliged to take me.
    OP don't change your plans for the sake of the taxi driver

Could you not have taken the bus? I wouldn't blame a taxi driver being pissed at that. Technically not even off airport property!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,413 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Could you not have taken the bus? I wouldn't blame a taxi driver being pissed at that. Technically not even off airport property!

No, I could not have actually taken the bus, the circumstances meant that I had to get to the car park quicker than the next bus would have brought me.

The taxi was free, he was obliged to bring me and the attendant made that clear to him

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭miss misty

Spook_ie wrote: »
    I know for yourself it's less hassle, but yet again the Dublin Airport taxi drivers actually win the day

Why should everyone get tarnished with the same brush? Not all taxi drivers are unreasonable, some ( in fact many ) are very accomadating and helpful, I use taxi's frequently from the airport and have yet to be given any hassle. JUst my observation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭dingding

I was getting a taxi from the airport to one of the nearby industrial estates. Came out of the airport and thought I was getting the first car in the q. I wasn't as the q went the other side of the door. A jobs worth got on to me for not getting his taxi. It was with satisfaction that I hopped in and gave him the address. Not a word out of him the whole way :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

It's interesting that taxi drivers are taking a bashing here for something that's entirely hypothetical.

The most pertinent fact here has been overlooked - Premier Inn shuttle service stops at 11.00 for some reason. There are plenty of hotels that provide a 24 hour service.

• Advertisement

Can't give any more info on taxis than has been given.
    They have to take you to your destination.
    They can get a short fare pass to get back in line.
    If you choose to go somewhere with bus service I recommend the metro hotel.

Advertisement