Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best Luxury Hotel and Spa in Ireland?

• 11-08-2013 3:43am

Since myself and the OH won't get the chance to go on a foreign break until 2014, we're looking to Ireland to indulge in a few days in a nice hotel/spa environment this autumn, preferably with good food also and not directly in a town/city.

So far, I've been looking at the likes of the Monart in Enniscorthy, the Cliff House in Ardmore and the Ritz Carlton at Powerscourt. Do any of you posters have any personal experiences in the above resorts? Or suggestions regarding some hidden gems around the country? I've discovered that not everything is listed on booking.com, notably the kind of place I'm looking for in this instance.

Any help would be much obliged :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Of the ones you have mentioned, I've only been to Monart, a few times though and it is great for two or three days to totally chill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Layinghen

For hotel and spa Parknasilla in Kerry is my absolute favourite. Old world charm, incredible scenery and a fantastic spa and leisure facilities. If you want to get away from it all and be indulged, this is the place. I just love it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 450 ✭✭Fagashlil

Have been to both the cliff house and ritz Carlton, much prefer the cliff house. Spa was divine and the dinner in the michellen starred restaurant was amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Qprmeath

Monart is very good but a little bit pricey to be honest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

Kellys Resort Hotel Rosslare .. lovely spa and good food!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 279 ✭✭anne burnell

check out the k club in kildare.... and especially the private room in the spa which has its own jacuzzi/hot tub, shower and is absolutly fab....you also have access to the swimming pool. the rooms in the hotel are lovely... a really chill place to relax...

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭corked

Europe Hotel in Killarney is amazing. Not cheap but it's luxury.

I was in Parknasilla for lunch on Sunday and it was over run with children. Nothing against kids but not sure it would be the right atmosphere for your break.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

How about the park hotel in kenmare. Haven't been but meant to be fab.
    Love the spa in the heritage killenard. Reckon it's nearly the best I have been too.
    Really enjoyed the ritz but it's crazy expensive and the spa is a bit of a let down.
    Marlfield house is meant to be good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

corked wrote: »
    Europe Hotel in Killarney is amazing

Strangely enough, many folks appear completely oblivious to its existence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Castlemartyr if you splash out and get a suite is very much worth a look. Last time I was in Ritz Carlton I was very disappointed, Monart and the Cliff House are both nice though.

If you don't mind venturing up North Galgorm (about 20mins north of Belfast) is very, very nice and the Merchant in Belfast is spectacular. All have excellent spas.

• Advertisement

In Northern Ireland the Culloden just outside Belfast is superb.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 sun_seeker

Monart in Wexford, The Europe in Killarney or The G Hotel in Galway would be my recommendations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 184 ✭✭cyberspider

If you are looking for a Spa hotel then Monart sounds like the perfect option. It was awarded the runner up for best destination Spa retreat worldwide by Conde Naste last year.

If however you are looking for more of a luxury hotel then you can also check out the following:
    The blue book (Website) also has some other interesting options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I heard Ballyfin is amazing. Never there though, it's out of my price range

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 184 ✭✭cyberspider

Cienciano wrote: »
    I heard Ballyfin is amazing. Never there though, it's out of my price range

I was recently speaking to someone who stayed these and they said it was really nice but certainly not worth the price they charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Anyone stayed in Castlemartyr resort lately? I'm looking to go somewhere next week with the Mrs and they have a 3 nights for 2 mid week offer.

Others under consideration are Castle Leslie and Waterford Castle.

I love Waterford Castle but just in case you aren't aware of it, they don't have spa there. (But I would still be very jealous if you went there:D)

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Bannerman7

I've been to Monart a few times and it's amazing. The minute you drive up to it it's being in a different world. Can't recommend it enough.
    I'd love to go to the park hotel in kenmare run but anytime I've looked it up its been so expensive, has any kind been?

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Todd Toddington III

adox wrote: »
    Anyone stayed in Castlemartyr resort lately? I'm looking to go somewhere next week with the Mrs and they have a 3 nights for 2 mid week offer.

Others under consideration are Castle Leslie and Waterford Castle.

Really nice spot but they do weddings too which may or may not be to your liking re the crowds (though the reception was held seperate from other guests). Was there two months ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. There are also two resident dogs available for walks which sold it to my wife. Nice pool and gym but didnt use the spa. Do it!

Edit. Midweek so weddings shouldnt be an issue.

Castle leslie is also lovely but no pool and its a little pricey. Would go with castlemartyr over it. Never stayed in waterford castle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

Lyrath Estate and Mount Juliet are on my short-list for when we finally do a spa weekend away.

Can also recommend Mount Falcon. Lovely pool/jacuzzi overlooking the woodlands. Great restaurant and fab bedrooms.

Wouldn't recommend the G in Galway. The spa in nice, the rest of the hotel is rather dated and doesn't feel like a 5* at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 deestaunton

Monart is the best as no kids allowed so sheer peace!

Gatica wrote: »
    Lyrath Estate and Mount Juliet are on my short-list for when we finally do a spa weekend away.

We got a great midweek deal a couple of years ago for Lyrath, €230 for 3 nights B&B + 2 dinners, it's a nice hotel but nothing special, dinner(s) were only ok. The spa & infinity pool is nice, would return but the price would have to be right.
    Monart is the best as no kids allowed so sheer peace!

Wouldn't describe Monart as luxury but by far our destination of choice, agree that adults only is a huge positive

[/S]

Wouldn't describe Monart as luxury but by far our destination of choice, agree that adults only is a huge positive[/QUOTE]

Wouldnt descibe Monart as luxury.....seriously? im obviously not living!!

Was very underwhelmed by Lyrath Estate when we were there last year.
    Took forever to check in, bags took forever to come up to the rather disappointing room. Food was decent but nothing special. Didnt use the spa so can't comment on that.

Definitely wont be returning.

[/S]

Wouldn't describe Monart as luxury but by far our destination of choice, agree that adults only is a huge positive

Wouldnt descibe Monart as luxury.....seriously? im obviously not living!![/QUOTE]

Maybe you're not, I don't know :P
    Seriously though, I can't fault Monart, it is excellent & it ticks all our box's without a doubt but luxury is subjective, I wouldn't consider it luxurious or lavish, bedrooms while certainly nice are not opulent but I can't think of a better place to go for a total unwind

Booked 3 nights in Castlemartyr for next week. €330 for 3 nights b&b for the two of us, availing of their "stay two nights get the third night free".

Going to take a spin out to Fota Wildlife while we are there and maybe a trip in to Cobh if there is a cruise ship docked(Like my photography).

• Registered Users Posts: 20 fishingmad

We stayed in the Seafield Golf & Spa Hotel outside Gorey in Wexford and the OH is still raving about it, very relaxing stay with a class spa, and its away from town, private beach walk , greeat food, couldnt fault, will be back.

fishingmad wrote: »
    We stayed in the Seafield Golf & Spa Hotel outside Gorey in Wexford and the OH is still raving about it, very relaxing stay with a class spa, and its away from town, private beach walk , greeat food, couldnt fault, will be back.

Yeah we were there earlier in the year and enjoyed it. Not much of a looker from the outside when you drive up but very nice inside.

Outdoor hot tub was fantastic.

Would go back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 barcon11

monart defo

Advertisement