Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brian O'Driscoll The best player in the World?

Options
  • 24-08-2007 8:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭

According to www.rankopedia.com he is....

then dan carter, then Jonah Lomu...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Pfft...pinch of salt with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Lolllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

It's actually best player in the world....ever!!!

At least we know O'Driscoll hasn't been doing nothing during his recent lay off.

Refresh-vote-refresh-vote-refresh-vote

Interesting to also see that historically Ireland are second only to the all blacks! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭High&Low

It says at the bottom - based on 258 votes by 201 voters. So if multiple voting is allowed....

I see O'Gara is 21st!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭redmca

Call me an old fart, but for me the best player on a consistent basis I ever saw was GARETH EDWARDS, scrum half for Wales in the 70's.

He had everything, fantastic pass, fantastic break, fantastic speed, Lions SF on both 1971 and 1974 Lions tours. And of course that famous Barbarians try !!!

These polls are entirely slanted towards the present day players. Carter is good, but he generally plays behind a dominant pack, so its not that hard to look good. Compare that with Mike Gibson, who fed off crumbs for years for Ireland, for me a far superior player. I was privelidged to be in Twickenham in '74 when he scored 2 tries against England. The entire stadium gave him a standing ovation after the 2nd one !!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Danie Gerber

Gareth Edwards
    Sean Fitzpatrick
    Zinzan Brooke
    John Eales
    David Kirk
    Philippe Sella
    Serge Blanco
    Gavin Hastings
    David Campese

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

Ok so ignoring the obvious bias that that particular site has, who is the best player in the world at the moment.

For me O' Driscoll would be up there, not saying he's the best but he's up there.
    Only other Irish contender is Po'C for me.

Then you have Carter, McCaw, Habana etc.

Habana wouldnt come close.

Its either McCaw or O'Driscoll. Pierre Spies is one to watch for the future. Absolute sicko

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

If O'Driscoll is that high up I think Darce should be up there too. Best player in the world at the moment though is probably Carter for me but McCaw would be a very close second.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Gavin Hastings

Interesting. I always thought he was vastly overrated.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Funny, I was watching an old RWC Semi final, France V Australia on ESPN the other night, and I couldn't help thinking how poor both sides were and they all looked ordinary compared to the modern players of the professional era.

I think BO'D et al, as the greats of the professional game would be right up there on the list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Aren't we forgetting a couple of our white shirted friends here?
    Martin Johnson and Jonny Wilkinson spring to mind, pity about Jonny's injury troubles he is only a shadow of himself now.
    Blanco was class too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭Morgans

Whatever about being overrated. O'Driscoll is the best Irish player of the professional era, with from reports and tv coverage Gibson really is his only Irish peer historically.

I not in love with the player, but he is up there at the moment with the very best, and has been for five/six years.

Make a distinction between The amateur and professional eras in rugby because mikedragon is right, the players pre 1994's just wasn't as big, strong or fast. The sport was played by people who had a day job and couldn't spend 3 hours in the gym every day...

Compare like for like.

If I had to pick my top 10 amateur era players:

1. Gareth Edwards
    2. Serge Blanco
    3. David Kirk
    4 Frik du reez
    5. Willie John McBride
    6. Philippe Sella (even though he still played for France in 95)
    7. Nick Farr-Jones
    8. Danie Craven
    9. JPR Williams
    10.Mike Gibson

And a special mention to Danie Gerber who never got the chance to shine but had more natural ability than BOD and Darcy combined.

Pro era top ten:

1. Richie McCaw
    2. Daniel Carter
    3. BOD
    4. Stirling Mortlock
    5. Vic Matfield
    6. David Campese
    7. John Eales
    8. Martin Johnson
    9. Jonah Lomu
    10. Sean Fitzpatrick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

Daves right, Carter sucks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

Daves right, Carter sucks

Ah thats right sure all those All Blacks are no good at all, at all sure with BOD and O' Connell, the DArce and ROG wouldn't we bate them out the gate any day of the week. This World Cup thing is only a walk in the park.

Seriously guys, maybe Carters form has dipped a bit and maybe he's a bit over-rated but he does not suck

Hmmm, yeah maybe you're right. Maybe I should move carter further down the order.

Then again, he is the out-half and king-pin of the most successful rugby union team since 1998... Must be doing something right. Can't just be luck surely.

Let's see...

Carter has currently scored a total of 636 test points (21 tries, 111 conversions, 102 penalties, 1 drop goal) in 41 tests, at an average of 15.5 points a game.

The All Blacks have only lost 4 games that Carter has featured in since his debut in June 2003 out of 41 played...

Carter scores a try every second match he plays in...

He's only 25 years old...

No I think I'll keep him where he is, if only for the potential the lad has... Got another 6 or 7 years left in him..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

The All Blacks have only lost 4 games that Carter has featured in since his debut in June 2003 out of 41 played...

Been watching the super 14 and IMO Carter's a genius. kicks like O'Gara and runs and tackles like O'Driscoll, I'd love him to be Irish.

Just querying the above stat. isn't that probably average for All-Blacks as regards win-loss rate with or without Carter?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Carter is a class act alright, true it probably is easier to play on the front foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭Hippo

Should that be Frik du Preez?

And special mention for Phil Bennett, made the legendary Gareth Edwards try, extraordinary talent who tormented us for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭carlowboy

And a special mention to Danie Gerber who never got the chance to shine but had more natural ability than BOD and Darcy combined.

Kind of thing only a Saffa would say

And Campese is definately not Pro era.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,656 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Serge Blanco and Zinzan Brooke are the two best players in their respective positions i've ever seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 PeteJones

Kind of thing only a Saffa would say

Well then let us introduce the legend to you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHS10Kg9cHY

One of his 2 tries against Ireland in 1981

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭carlowboy

What do take me for? Of course I know who Gerber was. Horrendously over rated by Saffas who think he'd have been better than Bunce etc....even Gibson!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭quagmire69

Carter is not that good. He has proven nothing yet. He looked very shaky in the Tri nations. Paddy wallace would be on that list if playing behind that NZ pack and with those backs outside him.
    Not saying carter won't b great, just he's gotta prove it first.

Larkham now is a true great 10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Pinetree Boy

Got to feel sorry for the fatties- none of these boys would be worth a dam without the sloggers up front. If I was naming a current world 15 Carl Haman would be the first name on the list.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭matdabomb

I must say he is getting a lot of favoritism due to you all being Irish

Advertisement