Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's all this about renaming Thomond Park?

• 22-06-2007 9:11am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭

Gerry Thornley in yesterday's Times says that IRFU Munster Branch are going to sell the naming rights to Thomond Park when it is redeveloped.

Surprised not to see an uproar about this on these threads. Is a little bit of local history about to enter the globalised world? Or will they insist that at the very least it will have to be a sponsor with some local Munster history?

What's it likely to be called?

Barry's Tea Park?

The Lennox Chips Stadium?

The Examiner Arena?

or feckit
    the Microsoft Bowl

the Analog Devices Dome?

Whatever it is, it won't scare the lady boys any more. :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Does it matter, if it's bringing in the money for Munster.

Thomond Park got it's reputation for the closesness of the fans to the pitch and the atmosphere, not on its name.

Lansdowne might also be renamed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

zabbo wrote:
    Does it matter, if it's bringing in the money for Munster.

That's what I'm asking. Never mind what I think. I'm a lady-boy lover. Does a sense of history and community not matter to you guys?

Just curious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭bugler

It's a natural progression since the game is professional. It's not a concept I'm a fan of generally, but realistically the fans won't get a veto on this. Maybe if they kick up a huge fuss, but what about that extra money? If it means getting an All-Black they'll probably accept it. I'd imagine Toyota would be the likely sponsor.

As Zabbo said, this is in the pipeline for LR too.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

That's what I'm asking. Never mind what I think. I'm a lady-boy lover. Does a sense of history and community not matter to you guys?

Just curious.

I read that selling the name would essentially pay off the remaining €15m debt on the stadium. This is a very large sum of money which could be put to very good use elsewhere to develop Munster rugby.

TBH I don't understand people who get so weepy eyed over changing the name of a stadium. Where stadiums have been renamed before fans have woken up the next day to discover that the world has in fact not ended and things are pretty much the same as ever. Surely Munster rugby is about more than just the name Thomond Park? (Cork based supporters might especially agree :p )

People will hold on to many fond memories of Thomond Park, but that is because of the great days that occured there such as Beating the All-Blacks not because of its name.

Then again I am not a very sentimental chap, my heart may indeed be made out of stone:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

marco_polo wrote:

TBH I don't understand people who get so weepy eyed over changing the name of a stadium.

So at what level would you baulk?

Anyone here (like me) old enough to remember back in the 1980s when our national soccer league was "The Kentucky Fried Chicken League of Ireland" (KFCLOI)?

To those among you who constitute The Pope's Children, this really happened.

How does Supermac's Stadium grab you?

(Mods: I'm not winding people up. Let's have this debate now, not when it's too late)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭Worrytahs

Doesn't matter what the place is called.
    The supporters will know it mainly as Thomond Park the same way as I'll always call the Sydney Football Stadium the SFS instead of whatever its called these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

Those with weepy eyes for the past should put their money where their tears are and club together - collect the cash and sponsor the Munster branch to name it "Thomond Park".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Erin Go Brath

I don't think its a major issue. Arsenal soccer stadium was always Highbury, now its been the Emirates for the last season, don't think it was an issue for people. Munster fans will soon get used to the new name and it'll be a non-issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

I don't think its a major issue. Arsenal soccer stadium was always Highbury, now its been the Emirates for the last season, don't think it was an issue for people.

Incorrect. Arsenal's OLD stadium was Highbury, and they developed a COMPLETELY NEW ONE and called it a new name. If Munster moved, they, too, could call the new one whatever they wanted. But they're not moving.

But there is only so far that you should sell out, and renaming a local landmark is a step too far.

If it's renamed, I'll be going to Musgrave Park ONLY from now on.....and let's hope that when Munster decide to redevelop there that Musgrave's Cash & Carry step in before there are no local landmarks left.

What would be great would be if a company or organisation stepped in and sponsored it, leaving it as Thomond Park and adding some small company reference in a secondary tag-line......that would give that company a hell of a lot of goodwill in my book.

Or maybe Thomond Office Supplies (and/or a few similarly-named companies) could step in before corporate capitalism bulldozes anything worthwhile away in the name of the sacred cash cow.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Erin Go Brath

Liam Byrne wrote:

If it's renamed, I'll be going to Musgrave Park ONLY from now on.....and let's hope that when Munster decide to redevelop there that Musgrave's Cash & Carry step in before there are no local landmarks left.
    You're going a bit over the top there don't you think? I have to agree with daveirl on this. The extra funds pumped into munster rugby will most likely far outweigh any inconveniences caused by a simple name change. Everyone; fans and players will be net beneficiaries.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

You're going a bit over the top there don't you think? I have to agree with daveirl on this. The extra funds pumped into munster rugby will most likely far outweigh any inconveniences caused by a simple name change. Everyone; fans and players will be net beneficiaries.

Also have to agree on this point. Did we not enjoy winning the Heineken Cup a few years ago? It is only going to get harder and harder to win the competition in the future (Unless you get into a group like Biarritz :p ). With the amount of money at the English and French clubs disposal from their respective TV contracts it is imperative that Munster explore every possible financial avenue available to try and remain competive at the top level in Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Irelands rugby history is being thrown out the window with the shameful situation that exists with the Heineken cup coverage. Its popularity is going to fall with less coverage on terrestial channels. The renaming is going to cost Munster 10 points a game and turn the place into a thoroughfare for anyone to beat them instead of the fortress it was.

daveirl wrote:

I wasn't relating that to Munster, more to the companies who are forcing clubs and organisations to rename the events and venues to THEIR name rather than the original name (e.g. Heineken Cup, Magners League, Emirates Stadium, etc).

Sponsorship is beneficial and welcome, but renaming the event or venue should should not be a precondition of sponsorship; first Bank of Ireland, then Toyota sponsored Munster, and they were happy with the coverage that they got from it; fair play to them.....but they didn't demand that the team be renamed.......the same should apply to the venue.

As for funding development of the game, etc - that's firstly not directly the case - the funding is to be used to pay for the development of the stadium and, in addition, the fact that branded merchandise is 70-odd euro should mean that there's plenty of money going into the game.....

If accountants had their way, we'd be driving up Argos St, past The Burger King Castle, across the Ballygowan Bridge, past the Tesco Treaty Stone and parking outside the Pampers Maternity Hospital in order to get to the match!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Irelands rugby history is being thrown out the window with the shameful situation that exists with the Heineken cup coverage. Its popularity is going to fall with less coverage on terrestial channels. The renaming is going to cost Munster 10 points a game and turn the place into a thoroughfare for anyone to beat them instead of the fortress it was.
    RTE have never did a good job of showing the H Cup or irish rugby in general...they can go to hell.
    How the hell did you come up with 10points a game?

I'm not in favour of renaming grounds (I think it's a joke that the Australian stadiums are rebranded every other year.) and as previously said i'll always call thomand park thomand park as long as its there, Lansdowne road Lansdowne road, donnybrook donnybrook and musgrave park a ****hole.:)

But it's easy money and i'd prefer to see it spent on more development contracts and development initiatives.

These made me laugh! Taken from leinsterfans.com

toyotapark1.jpg

toyotapark2.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭nc6000

Isn't it going to be renamed to the TOYOTA BOWL and the four stands will be named after the Yaria, Auris, Corolla & Aygo. LOL

Oh sweet jeebus.

It doesn't make the slightest blot of difference if a shirt has a name on it, a comp is named after the sponsor or even a bloody stadium is name after the sponsor.

They are sponsors. Not benefactors!
    :rolleyes:

And that 10 points a game line is simply laughable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Liam Byrne wrote:
    I wasn't relating that to Munster, more to the companies who are forcing clubs and organisations to rename the events and venues to THEIR name rather than the original name (e.g. Heineken Cup, Magners League, Emirates Stadium, etc).

Sponsorship is beneficial and welcome, but renaming the event or venue should should not be a precondition of sponsorship; first Bank of Ireland, then Toyota sponsored Munster, and they were happy with the coverage that they got from it; fair play to them.....but they didn't demand that the team be renamed.......the same should apply to the venue.

What a bizarre understanding of sport sponsorship you have. The reason the BOI and Toyota haven't demanded any names changes (apart from the fact they can't) is because they make their money back by appearing on the jerseys of every player on every match they play which is broadcasted on TV. Sports sponsorship is an investment not a charity donation.

Anyway, no team is DEMANDING the stadium changes their name, Munster are selling the naming rights and the highest bidder usually gets them.They will recoup this investment by everyone referring to them when naming the stadium.

Sport sponsorship (along with TV coverage) is absolutely vital for any professional game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

The renaming is going to cost Munster 10 points a game

Then I suppose any true sports fan (and Munster fans are fine sports fans) would be in favour of the name being changed - in hindsight I suppose it should have been changed years ago. Having one team start with an advantage of 10 points a game, just because of the name of their stadium is hardly equitable.

• Advertisement

Sangre wrote:
    What a bizarre understanding of sport sponsorship you have. The reason the BOI and Toyota haven't demanded any names changes (apart from the fact they can't) is because they make their money back by appearing on the jerseys of every player on every match they play which is broadcasted on TV. Sports sponsorship is an investment not a charity donation.

Where's this "bizarre understanding" that you're claiming ? I am well aware that sponsorship is an investment for companies and I am well aware that it is not a charity donation. I am by no means as naieve as your post seems to imply.

I have no problem with sponsorship which involves "The All-Ireland Hurling Championship, sponsored by Guinness" or "The Celtic League, sponsored by Bulmers/Magners". And I have no problem with jerseys or advertising hoardings at pitches (as long as they're not those annoying animated and flashing ones that actually distract you from the match).

I DO have a problem with "The Guinness All-Ireland Hurling Championship" and "The Magners League".....and I DO have a problem with changing the name of a stadium.

Essentially, what I'm saying is that a balance needs to be found between the need for sponsorship and the needs/return for the sponsors. The aforementioned annoying advertising hoardings at Manchester United are an example of a step too far by the sponsors to get your attention, since they are deliberately designed to distract you from the match.....hardly in the best interests of the game, then ?
    Anyway, no team is DEMANDING the stadium changes their name, Munster are selling the naming rights and the highest bidder usually gets them.

If the trend was not heading towards this, Munster would not propose it. Someone somewhere demanded or proposed it.
    They will recoup this investment by everyone referring to them when naming the stadium.

The above statement is a complete contradiction of those who are in favour, those who've posted saying "don't worry - it won't matter because everyone will refer to it as Thomond".....so which is it ?
    Sport sponsorship (along with TV coverage) is absolutely vital for any professional game.
    Agreed. And even for some "amateur" games like the GAA. But not at any cost. Thomond is Thomond, and while Munster do need to develop, part of the appeal of Munster is that it didn't get completely tainted by professionalism, still appealing to the common man.

The attempt to change the name to "Munster Stags" or whatever :rolleyes:, for copyright reasons, was the first step away from that, and this is the second.

Again, I've no problem with someone protecting their investment, but if Munster want to be a true Munster team, rather than some silly made-up name which no-one has any emotive attachment to, then there are downsides.

The same applies to the name "Thomond Park".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

ah jaysus dave don't go poking holes in the Ligind...

daveirl wrote:

Precisely my point.....to date, Munster has done only the basic required to become professional, doing what it needed to, yet still maintaining it's core ethos and support.

"professionalism" is not a dirty word in itself.......what I said is that it has not been tainted by professionalism, and has not (to date) sold out on the things that make Munster, and supporting Munster, so great.

If it does start selling out, THEN it will get tainted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Nukem

daveirl wrote:
    They are few and far between and a little close minded IMO. I would like to see the statistics on young kids and any other people joining rugby clubs since Munster have hit the heights of Europe. Bet there was a nice jump.

As you said
    daveirl wrote:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

I can't believe players DEMAND to be paid to play rugby. They should play it for the love of the sport not for material gain. Bunch of greedy, money-grubbing bastards! They've ruined rugby by tainting it with professionalism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/thomondpk/index.html

as well as www.bebo.com/mrthomond is doing as much as they can to promote the issue!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Jackz

Could munster fans get a business or group of business' together and sponsor the name Thomand Park. I think that would be a good move for whoever sponsors it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Danie Gerber

Don't be silly lads, the type of money that's involved here is beyond the reach of your average local business or even group of businesses. The stadium names will change in reland as it has everywhere else in the world, because of money. Rugby is a pro sport and in pro sport money talks.

The best Thomond fans and Landsdowne die hards can hope for is a compromise like Toyota Thomond Park or O2 Landsdowne Road. This is what a few stadiums have gotten away with doing like Minolta Loftus Versfeld in Pretoria. Or you could get lucky like Newlands in Cape Town where Vodacom (Vodafone) bought the naming rights and decided NOT to exercise the right due to public opinion! But the good publicity they've got from that has far out weighed any exposure renaming the stadium could eer get them.

Why the hell should the name of a stadium matter?

Pathetic. Get a clue ffs, moanies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭komodosp

You could ask yourself why does the sport matter at all? It just happens step by step, and each step is such a small leap that no matter how bad it gets, no one cares...
    I mean 20 years ago, try naming Thomond Park after a business... But now? I mean how long is it before all the teams are named after companies... Like Toyota instead of Munster, Bank of Scotland instead of Leinster... O2 instead of Ireland! Then the sport's name Rugby will be changed to Guinness, the goal posts will be reshaped like McDonalds signs, and the ball like Coca Cola bottles... And it won't be called the ball, but the Cola. The Full Back will be the Ryanair Back... Peter Clohessy will be the only one allowed to keep his own name...
    But what does it matter if it benefits the sport? OK I know I'm exaggerating a bit but the point is that the line has to be drawn somewhere.

I'm with the guy who said that it's OK to have "The Celtic League sponsored by Magners" or something but "The Magners League"? It's not descriptive or anything... I still call it the Celtic League anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Hamo

Jeebus people's what dose it matter....
    At the of the day it'll still be full of screaming mad culchies, going on and on about the great days of Munster,

'Where you part of the 386,000 that attended the All Blacks game?' we moan about the Brits with soccer and 1966... Ye Munster boyo's have to move on.

You know no matter what its called you'll all be in it, sweating in red when Leinster kick yer *ss in the 'HOME' of rugby, ye can't even agree with yer buddies in Cork so what chance agreement on Thomand, or the Dell bowl or whatever.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Hamo wrote:
    Ye Munster boyo's have to move on.
    Oh the irony!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

komodosp wrote:
    I mean 20 years ago, try naming Thomond Park after a business...

We had businesses 20 years ago? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Diamondmaker

This thread is insane! whats in a name.

Call it Thomond, yourself and your friends if that makes you happy, after it is changed nothing to stop "purists" referrring to it this way for ever more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭komodosp

Ahh it's just stupid though... Just like in the soccer world cup there was an argument over "The official beer of the world cup"... How can you have an official beer of the world cup? I mean the official sportswear of the world cup I can understand, or footwear, or even grass seed... But beer? This is the beer that FIFA (that well-known authority on beer) recommends for all the players and managers and everyone involved in soccer?

• Advertisement
Advertisement