Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brian O'Driscoll The best player in the World?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,153 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

I don't think anyone has actually claimed he is the best player in the world.

edit- shout out to joe roff and christian cullen (in his day). also a big latham fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

redmca wrote:
    Call me an old fart, but for me the best player on a consistent basis I ever saw was GARETH EDWARDS, scrum half for Wales in the 70's.

He had everything, fantastic pass, fantastic break, fantastic speed, Lions SF on both 1971 and 1974 Lions tours. And of course that famous Barbarians try !!!

He was a legend. Mind you, there were those who said he wasn't a great scrum half because his pass was too long and slow, whereas the best type of pass was a short fast one.

still, with the Welsh back line he could play with (John/Bennett, JPR Williams, Gerald Davies, JJ Williams) there was very little that could go wrong for them. One or other of those quys could always pull something out of the fire if needed.
    redmca wrote:
    Mike Gibson, who fed off crumbs for years for Ireland, for me a far superior player. I was privelidged to be in Twickenham in '74 when he scored 2 tries against England. The entire stadium gave him a standing ovation after the 2nd one !!

My God you're old!!!!!!

I remember watching that game on telly as a sprog. Gibson was a legend. Now he was a player who really had everything.

These online polls ae a load of ****e. Debate is your only man when talking about the greatest players of the game.

Funny, I was watching an old RWC Semi final, France V Australia on ESPN the other night, and I couldn't help thinking how poor both sides were and they all looked ordinary compared to the modern players of the professional era.

are you talking about 1987?

that was a super match, and the French had some majestic players then: Charvet, Sella, Lagisquet and the greatest of them all (as a player) Serge Blanco. Mind you as an administrator he's just a fat blodge.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,656 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

are you talking about 1987?

that was a super match, and the French had some majestic players then: Charvet, Sella, Lagisquet and the greatest of them all (as a player) Serge Blanco. Mind you as an administrator he's just a fat blodge.

ah Lagisquet and Sella:) That French team was the most talented bunch of players to play for France since the competition was founded. If the 1987 team could not win the RWC i don't see how the current crop can. Sorry Steffano:p

I dunno. Exciting teams usually DON'T win the world cup. England four years ago played 10 man rugby. australia before that were dull as dishwater and based everything on a great defence. In fact they conceded only ONE try in that whole tournament! (quick! without Googling: who was the only player to score a try against Australia in world cup 99?)

Four years before that it was south africa who, as usual, were as entertaining as a bucket of cold sick.

This French team with all those ugly blokes like Chabal and Ibanez could do it. Especially playing at home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭muboop1

any1 else notice that if u clicked on the irish peples votes, bod was only 9th!!! ha ha

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭nedward

+1 Tyrone Howe

Advertisement