Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's all this about renaming Thomond Park?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Danie Gerber

Don't be silly lads, the type of money that's involved here is beyond the reach of your average local business or even group of businesses. The stadium names will change in reland as it has everywhere else in the world, because of money. Rugby is a pro sport and in pro sport money talks.

The best Thomond fans and Landsdowne die hards can hope for is a compromise like Toyota Thomond Park or O2 Landsdowne Road. This is what a few stadiums have gotten away with doing like Minolta Loftus Versfeld in Pretoria. Or you could get lucky like Newlands in Cape Town where Vodacom (Vodafone) bought the naming rights and decided NOT to exercise the right due to public opinion! But the good publicity they've got from that has far out weighed any exposure renaming the stadium could eer get them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭Worrytahs

Why the hell should the name of a stadium matter?

Pathetic. Get a clue ffs, moanies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭komodosp

You could ask yourself why does the sport matter at all? It just happens step by step, and each step is such a small leap that no matter how bad it gets, no one cares...
    I mean 20 years ago, try naming Thomond Park after a business... But now? I mean how long is it before all the teams are named after companies... Like Toyota instead of Munster, Bank of Scotland instead of Leinster... O2 instead of Ireland! Then the sport's name Rugby will be changed to Guinness, the goal posts will be reshaped like McDonalds signs, and the ball like Coca Cola bottles... And it won't be called the ball, but the Cola. The Full Back will be the Ryanair Back... Peter Clohessy will be the only one allowed to keep his own name...
    But what does it matter if it benefits the sport? OK I know I'm exaggerating a bit but the point is that the line has to be drawn somewhere.

I'm with the guy who said that it's OK to have "The Celtic League sponsored by Magners" or something but "The Magners League"? It's not descriptive or anything... I still call it the Celtic League anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Hamo

Jeebus people's what dose it matter....
    At the of the day it'll still be full of screaming mad culchies, going on and on about the great days of Munster,

'Where you part of the 386,000 that attended the All Blacks game?' we moan about the Brits with soccer and 1966... Ye Munster boyo's have to move on.

You know no matter what its called you'll all be in it, sweating in red when Leinster kick yer *ss in the 'HOME' of rugby, ye can't even agree with yer buddies in Cork so what chance agreement on Thomand, or the Dell bowl or whatever.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Hamo wrote:
    Ye Munster boyo's have to move on.
    Oh the irony!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

komodosp wrote:
    I mean 20 years ago, try naming Thomond Park after a business...

We had businesses 20 years ago? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Diamondmaker

This thread is insane! whats in a name.

Call it Thomond, yourself and your friends if that makes you happy, after it is changed nothing to stop "purists" referrring to it this way for ever more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭komodosp

Ahh it's just stupid though... Just like in the soccer world cup there was an argument over "The official beer of the world cup"... How can you have an official beer of the world cup? I mean the official sportswear of the world cup I can understand, or footwear, or even grass seed... But beer? This is the beer that FIFA (that well-known authority on beer) recommends for all the players and managers and everyone involved in soccer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement