Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Alternatives to Thailand?

• 11-06-2014 3:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭

I was planning a 3 week holiday to Thailand next Feb, but the recent unrest there is putting me off. My plan was a few nights in Bangkok, up north for a bit of trekking, then the islands to relax and home.

I liked the varied nature of this, in my relatively tight schedule. What alternatives are there that offer city, nature and beach?

Is Vietnam any good? I've heard varied reports.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 109 ✭✭Skybox

From reading the title of your post before I even went into it, I was thinking Vietnam. It is an absolutely beautiful country and the people are amazing. You could fly into the North/South of the country and see most of it in 2 weeks (it would be a bit hurried but doable). The Perhentian Islands (North East Coast of Malaysia) are beautiful and if you are looking for a nice relaxed beach holiday is ideal. I actually found the islands in Thailand to be quite touristy and you could have been anywhere in Spain/France/Greece, etc. When I arrived in the Perhentian Islands, we were taken in by boat. The boatman took us up the beach and we hopped out into 2 feet of water as there was no dock for the boat to pull up alongside. Loved it!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Thailand is grand now for tourists, down on the islands its still the very same, wouldn't have even know there was a coup on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Paramite Pie

Singapore is an island nation of the coast of Indonesia and also close to Thailand. It's mostly urbanised so if your looking for jungles/mountains you won't find them there. It does have some smaller islands and lots of beaches.

It's one of the the safest areas in Asia but probably not so cheap. Ferries to from Singapore to Indonesia, Malaysia and Thailand are relatively cheap (afaik) so I'd recommend getting a 're-entry' visa so you can hop on a ferry elsewhere and come back without hassle.

Look up the ferry & visa options but it should give you some freedom to play it by ear, as the trouble in Thailand may have calmed down by then. If not, just stay in Singapore.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Joziburg

Vietnam...+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭sarkozy

My personal view is that tourists won't be discommoded by the coup in Thailand, especially in Bangkok and down south. The 'red' faction seems to have a political power base around Chiang Mai, so perhaps it's worth avoiding there.

Otherwise, +1 for Vietnam. A wonderful country, also very well geared for tourism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭Sheela

+3 for Vietnam. Flew from Bangkok to Hanoi in February with Vietnamese Airlines and I think the flight was around €250.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭physiopad

+4 Vietnam

Fantastic country. Start from the north and work your fly south. if you have 3 weeks do it in go for it!

Can get very cheap internal flights even last minute.

Hanoi - Halong Bay
    Hoi An (Hated Hue - Skip!)
    Mu Ne
    Ho Chi Minh

Also might want to look into Sapa too, didn't have time myself. Also didnt get to Quo Phoc (Island) but supposed to be lovely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭Ed_Stephens

Saipanne wrote: »
    I was planning a 3 week holiday to Thailand next Feb, but the recent unrest there is putting me off. My plan was a few nights in Bangkok, up north for a bit of trekking, then the islands to relax and home.

I liked the varied nature of this, in my relatively tight schedule. What alternatives are there that offer city, nature and beach?

Is Vietnam any good? I've heard varied reports.

Don't let the coup put you off, the worst that happened was the curfew and that's lifted now, seriously I was there in June and you wouldn't even know there was anything going on bar it was a lot quieter than usual.

Do try and spend some time in Bangkok, it's a huge city with a lot to offer and deserves more than a few nights.

Do consider Cambodia as you're in the area, flights are very cheap with Air Asia to Phnom Penh from Bangkok's DMK airport.

Vietnam is a much larger country and will require a Visa through the embassy in London as there is none in Ireland, this involves posting your passport. Alternatively, go to the Vietnam embassy in Phnom Penh and you can get it almost instantly.

None of the other countries mentioned here are as tourist friendly as Thailand so if it's your first trip to Asia it may be worthwhile spending more time in Thailand while you adjust to Asian culture.

For Vietnam, you can apply online for the visa if you're flying in. Otherwise, get it in another sea country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

+5 Vietnam!
    We were there for about a week I'd say and out of those 4 bordering SEA countries we visited, it was our favourite. The countryside and the culture is amazing.
    We loved hiking in Sapa and went on a cruise in Halong Bay. Never made it south but it's also meant to be spectacular.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

This post has been deleted.

+7 for Vietnam but the middle of February is Lunar New Year... And the north is cold and wet at that time.

I feel sorry for anyone who lands during the new year cause so much closes down. Check your dates and stick to the middle and south.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭magicmoves

Dingle is nice:)))

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

The Philippines, less developed and poorer but nice all the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭Ed_Stephens

Have you booked anything yet OP? Hope the Coup hasn't put you off Thailand. It's a great place.

Advertisement