Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Armstrad DRX500 Digibox ok for foreign FTA?

Options
  • 23-09-2006 10:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hello Everyone,
    I live in Italy and got a Armstrad DRX 500 (latest update) from Sky with a inactive card from the UK which I now want to use here in Italy.
    I'm thinking about to buy a Wavefrontier T90 Satellite system which seems to be the best solution for my plan (more info about this system on: www.wavefrontier.com or www.wavefrontieruk.co.uk/products.html) This system is so unique as it doesn't require a motorised unit in order to switch from one satellite to the other, altough since I would use with my Digibox I wondered know whether I would be able to pick up the FTA programmes on Hotbird and the other Astra for the german / italian channels.
    I know that the older models are very restricted in doing that but I wonder if know I would be able to do so with a newer one? Further more does anyone know if the Digibox (armstrad DRX500) has a Discq 1.1 or 1.2? or even nothing?

If I wouldn't be able to use the box, howelse can I then receive my Sky FTV/FTA and the foreign channels on one receiver? Or is it even possible to get 2 receivers hooked up and how?

Thanks for your help......really desperate here,
    D.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭Zaphod

Sky digiboxes are designed for watching channels on Astra 28E and nothing else.

All digiboxes, both old and new, are restricted/crippled in terms of the channels they can receive. Only channels with symbol rates of 22,000 or 27,500 can be added as other channels. Although the majority of FTA stuff on Hotbird and Astra 19 use these SRs, you'd be much better off getting a proper FTA receiver. I was in a Carrefour near Milan recently and they had FTA kits (receiver, 80cm dish, LNBF) for €80. The FTA box will pick up the BBC and ITV channels but not C4 or C5.

Dreamboxes or receivers with Dragon CAMs can be used for reception of C4 and C5 but they are unoffical and not guaranteed to work indefinitely. That being said, they've been working OK for 2 years now.

No digibox supports Diseqc of any kind so they are of practically no use on their own for a wavefrontier setup. At best they can switch between 2 LNBFs. http://www.satcure.co.uk/accs/page1b.htm

A good setup might be to have a dual or quad LNBF on 28E to feed the digibox and FTA box, and then use the FTA for the other sats by way of a diseqc switch.

A potentially bigger problem you face is that the wavefrontier will not have enough gain (i.e. be too small) for the reception of the main FTA/FTV channels on 28E (BBC, ITV, C4). As these channels are on the Astra 2D satellite, they are tightly focussed on Ireland and the UK and require fairly large dishes in Italy, particuarly as you head south.

http://www.astra2d.com/footprint.htm
    http://www.astra2d.com/italy.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

The Sky box is pathetic for non-Sky FTA.
    Only does 20 to 30 channels without lossing them
    No Diseqc switching to switch between LNBs.
    Unless you convert it to Sky Italia somehow it tends of hang on Hotbird
    Only does 22,000 and 27,500 symbol rates.

Have two receivers. One cable from a quad LNB for Sky 28.2, Anaother cable from Quad and 3 ordinary LNBs for 19E Astra, 13E Hotbird and one other sat feeding a 4 way diseqec switch feeding the FTA receiver (from 80 euro for FTA box).

Note that most of Itally you need a BIG dedicated dish for Sky and most of Italy no ITV / BBC.

You can get 7E or 5E to 28E on one 80/90cm ordinary dish. The T90 is flimsey and only needed for wider such as 22w to 19E or 15W to 28E

You are probably better with a 1.2 or 2.4m dish for Sky and an separate 80cm for 3 other sats, such as 5E, 13E and 19E. The Sky dish can have a quad LNB to feed Sky box and the 4 Way diseqc switch.

Ah Zaphod beat me. I think we say about the same thing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 ferdi1982

Zaphod wrote:
    Sky digiboxes are designed for watching channels on Astra 28E and nothing else.

All digiboxes, both old and new, are restricted/crippled in terms of the channels they can receive. Only channels with symbol rates of 22,000 or 27,500 can be added as other channels. Although the majority of FTA stuff on Hotbird and Astra 19 use these SRs, you'd be much better off getting a proper FTA receiver. I was in a Carrefour near Milan recently and they had FTA kits (receiver, 80cm dish, LNBF) for €80. The FTA box will pick up the BBC and ITV channels but not C4 or C5.

Dreamboxes or receivers with Dragon CAMs can be used for reception of C4 and C5 but they are unoffical and not guaranteed to work indefinitely. That being said, they've been working OK for 2 years now.

No digibox supports Diseqc of any kind so they are of practically no use on their own for a wavefrontier setup. At best they can switch between 2 LNBFs. http://www.satcure.co.uk/accs/page1b.htm

A good setup might be to have a dual or quad LNBF on 28E to feed the digibox and FTA box, and then use the FTA for the other sats by way of a diseqc switch.

A potentially bigger problem you face is that the wavefrontier will not have enough gain (i.e. be too small) for the reception of the main FTA/FTV channels on 28E (BBC, ITV, C4). As these channels are on the Astra 2D satellite, they are tightly focussed on Ireland and the UK and require fairly large dishes in Italy, particuarly as you head south.

http://www.astra2d.com/footprint.htm
    http://www.astra2d.com/italy.htm

Hello Guys,

thanks for your help, just had a look at the footprints and I think that I will be still able to get 28E channels with the Wavefrontier as I'm located fairley north on italy just 20km south of the Austrian Boarder near Innsbruck.

Hey Zaphod can you please explain the setup thing again? Unfortunately I'm ain't such a expert in these things.

Here is a list of what I will get with the Wavefrontier:

4 x Advance Universal Single LNB
    1 x Basic DiSEqC Switcher 4/1 (Diseqc switch for 4lnbs to 1 Receiver)

so can you please tell me what the optimal setup for me would be in order to use the Sky Digibox as well a normal FTA receiver (which I already got)?
    As well please tell me what pieces I would need to buy optinal to work the whole thing.
    Oh and would I need to buy a special koaxial cabel too? How many cabels would lead in the end from the 2 receivers to these switches / modules? Bloody hell seems to be a heck load of work and that just to receive some good old uk television :-(

Thank you very much and greetings to you in Milan!

Thanks,

Ferdi

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭Zaphod

jj.gif

If you use 4 universal LNBFs, disregard the dashed line -> 1 LNBF on 28E to the digibox. 3 LNBFS on 13E, 19E, whatever going to a Diseqc switch and then on to the FTA box.

Alt. put a dual/quad LNBF on 28E with feeds to the digibox and the Diseqc switch and the 3 universal LNBFs as above -> can watch 28E on both boxes.

CT100 cable is recommended.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 ferdi1982

Zaphod wrote:
    jj.gif

If you use 4 universal LNBFs, disregard the dashed line -> 1 LNBF on 28E to the digibox. 3 LNBFS on 13E, 19E, whatever going to a Diseqc switch and then on to the FTA box.

Alt. put a dual/quad LNBF on 28E with feeds to the digibox and the Diseqc switch and the 3 universal LNBFs as above -> can watch 28E on both boxes.

CT100 cable is recommended.

Hey Zaphod,

thank you very very much for the info, if I understand it correct, I would be able to use the Wavefrontier System with one TV and 2 receivers?
    As soon as I got everything togheter I will inform you guys on how I got on.

Thanks again!!!

Ferdi

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Yes, you can use the two receivers with the one TV.

I think that a Dual LNB on 28E would be good, as Zaphod said - 1 output going directly to the Sky Digibox, the other going into the 4x Switch for use on the FTA receiver.

Astra 2D will be erratic on 80 to 90 dish esp on Wavefrontier in Milan. For ALL of 2D in rain, you want at least a 1.2m dish.

Everything Zaphod says is fine, except put the 28.2 LNB for sky on a separate 1.2m dish (minimum) and use an ordinary 80cm for everything else with a multi LNB boom. Work out about the same price as the Wavefrontier.

I'd go for Quad rather than dual, because I bought a Dual and then later wanted PVR, extra receiver etc. and the Quad is same performance and only a few Euro more. Allows SkyHD, Sky+ or another 3rd receiver.

I have 4 sat receivers on my TV. YOu can daisy chain RF modulators and/or use an external 4way all pins switched SCART box if the TV has only one or two SCART. With some SCART switch they only switch the composite so RGB and Widescreen auto switching doesn't work properly.

Advertisement