Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New gaming monitor

Options
  • 27-11-2015 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi Guys,

I'm planning on getting a pc monitor which will be primarily used for gaming. I want a 1440p monitor. I presume 1440p will be suitable for my GTX970, right?

Here's one i have in mind: ASUS PB278Q 27" WQHD 2560x1440

What do you guys think of that one and do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks,
    Adam

Comments

Literally in the exact same boat as you. I'm mostly concerned with a high refresh rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Chops95

Wow, Amazon is a killer. Tax and customs cost $350 for that monitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Chops95 wrote: »
    Wow, Amazon is a killer. Tax and customs cost $350 for that monitor.

Go to Amazon.co.uk not .com.

There are no customs charges for buying inside the EU and they do free delivery on most items to Ireland.

BloodBath wrote: »
    Go to Amazon.co.uk not .com.

There are no customs charges for buying inside the EU and they do free delivery on most items to Ireland.

Alright ok thanks. Pity because the monitor it self is a good bit cheaper from America

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

A 970 will handle 1440p no problem, but be aware that monitor has a max refresh rate of 60Hz. If you have a bit of spare cash going and you want the screen to stand the test of time, you might want to go up to 120Hz or beyond (ideally with G-Sync).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

After buying an aoc 4k monitor for 400 euro(http://www.elara.ie/productdetail.aspx?manufacturer=AOC&mancode=U2868PQU&gclid=CJrs74a_tckCFYiD2wodof4I9ww)
    Reviews seem pretty good on it although some people are saying input lag is terrible and others are barely mentioning it. Its at 60hz refresh which is apparently very good for a 4k.
    I know I won't be able to play anything at 4k yet (have a 7970) but it has me looking at upgrades :D
    Sure its got to be better than my 24inch 1080 cheap and cheerful lg......

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

I have both an IPS 60hz 1440 monitor and a 144hz gsync 1080 monitor side by side, no comparison the gsync 144hz blows the ips 60hz 1440 out of the water for gaming imo.

The difference between 60 and 144hz is massive compared to the difference between 1080 and 1440.
    If you can afford it obviously an IPS 144hz Gsync 1440 is the way do go but be prepared to pay €850 + .

Alright cool. Really appreciate all the inputs. Definitely going to put in some more research over this and see how much I can set aside for this. I might go all out and get a 1440p 144Hz 😝

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

Chops95 wrote: »
    Alright cool. Really appreciate all the inputs. Definitely going to put in some more research over this and see how much I can set aside for this. I might go all out and get a 1440p 144Hz 😝

You won't drive a 1440p at 144hz with a 7970 unless you are running old games. If playing modern games it's waste time going for 1440p, 144hz unless you are upgrading the card.

zarquon wrote: »
    You won't drive a 1440p at 144hz with a 7970 unless you are running old games. If playing modern games it's waste time going for 1440p, 144hz unless you are upgrading the card.

I have a GTX970, not a 7970. But yeah, might not be worth the money getting a monitor like that.

• Advertisement

That's why I went with 1080 144hz gsync, suits the 970 perfect.

Dcully wrote: »
    That's why I went with 1080 144hz gsync, suits the 970 perfect.

Which monitor did you go for? Would it be cheaper without gsync?

Which monitor did you go for? Would it be cheaper without gsync?

AOC G2460PG

Based on reviews ive read it has the better colours than the competition from BenQ,Asus,Acer etc.

Sitting beside my IPS I can say the colous are very nice indeed, while performance is simply out of this world.
    Yes without Gsync would be cheaper but its just so good I cant recommend it enough, tearing completely gone.

There are a lot more in depth written reviews out there but for quick reference these are decent.

Advertisement