Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A few questions on building a PC

Options
  • 26-11-2015 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

Hi, I'm planning to build a PC with a fairly high budget primarily for gaming. I just have a few questions. Apologies for any ignorance and idiocy.

I'm not asking for a build as that seems like the easy part, right? Look up each individual part and find a good one based off reviews?

What I want to know is, is it common knowledge that all parts will work with each other? As in, is it a guarantee that all graphics cards / RAM will fit and work with all motherboards? and the same with all other required parts?

Can I purchase each part willy nilly or do I need to consult each part individual to ensure its compatible with other parts?

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

What I want to know is, is it common knowledge that all parts will work with each other? As in, is it a guarantee that all graphics cards / RAM will fit and work with all motherboards? and the same with all other required parts?

If you're going for the high end and with a recent motherboard, then yes, pretty much everything will fit or have it's own space. Cheaper motherboards might only support RAM up to a certain speed (1600mhz dual-channel generally being the limit on cheaper boards).

PSU'll depend a lot on GPU requirements. Use Corsair or beQuiet's PSU calculators for a good idea of what you'll need, the GPU manufacturers tend to overstate requirements as they're presuming that people buy the cheapest PSU possible (too common).

You only need a 'Z' mobo if you're getting a 'K' CPU which you only need if you're planning on overclocking.

Cases may have more front USB inputs than a mobo has headers for - keep an eye out for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Ant695

Hi, I'm planning to build a PC with a fairly high budget primarily for gaming. I just have a few questions. Apologies for any ignorance and idiocy.

I'm not asking for a build as that seems like the easy part, right? Look up each individual part and find a good one based off reviews?

Can I purchase each part willy nilly or do I need to consult each part individual to ensure its compatible with other parts?

Any help would be appreciated.

Main thing to check is the cpu socket type that it matches for the cpu and motherboard. Like lga 1150 etc...

Also with ram just check which type the motherboard takes. It'll be ddr3 or ddr4 that is the most important consideration for ram. Ddr4 is for the new skylake cpus and motherboards.

Biggest issue with graphics cards would be length fitting into the case and having sufficient power from your psu but thats easily advised on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭DukeAwesome

Thanks a lot guys for your replies! With this info now in mind, time to attempt building a PC. Much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

We spec builds here if you need any help Duke

Advertisement