Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graphics Card Kaput! (please help)

Options
  • 24-11-2015 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

My PC has been making noises as though the fan is over-working for the past year or so. I've opened it up a couple of times to dust it (gently, and slightly less gently with the hoover).

My suspicions were that the graphics card wasn't doing it's job as the fans usually went crazy when rendering videos etc. The graphics card's own fan had a build up of dust on it. I removed it the card and and dusted it. Now the fan struggles to spin at all and the main CPU fan goes up to ninty when I open YouTube.

So I think I need a new graphics card; would I be correct in saying this? And maybe an affordable upgrade if possible?

Can someone please make a recommendation? This is the first time I've ever tinkered with the inners of a PC.

Here are my specs:

Hewlett-Packard p6215uk
    Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q8300 @2.5GHz
    4.00GB RAM
    64-bit Windows 7 OS

Graphics Card: NVIDIA Ge Force G210 (Version 341.81)

Any help greatly appreciated as I need my PC back in working order ASAP.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Depends on your editing suite, but usually the GPU is only used for the playback engine and the renderer still uses CPU unless accelerated, so that noise is either your CPU heating up a lot or the CPU dumping heat into the case and making the GPUs job harder.

Open a youtube video and check CPU usage with the task manager, that'll give a quick indication of load.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭gaffmaster

ED E wrote: »
    Open a youtube video and check CPU usage with the task manager, that'll give a quick indication of load.

Thanks ED E.

I tried that test. The task manager CPU figures for firefox raised from 170,000K to 350,000K when I played a YouTube video.

I then started a game. I still have the side panel off the PC. The Graphics card is heating up and the fan inside isn't spinning. Instead it twitches, attempting to turn. I fear it's banjaxed.

Actually...

Looking at the CPU fan, it looks like it has broken supports! So the plate at the back of the fan assembly isn't fully contacting the plate on the CPU.

Trying to find replacement fans online too - any suggestions appreciated.
    I'm guessing I'll need some thermal paste too?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Wait, the cooler body is snapped off the CPU contact plate?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

Well it seems that your CPU heat-sink and fan has become dislodged from the thermal paste and CPU. You might need a new heat-sink and fan. Purchase some good Arctic Silver thermal compound firstly, then unscrew the metal heat-sink by its 4 screws and remove it. Clean the top of the CPU while it is enclosed in its socket (you don't need to take the CPU out) and also clean the copper plate on the metal heat-sink. Also check the fan to make sure it is seated properly to the heat-sink as it might have come lose, check that before purchasing a new one. Check fan connection to the motherboard as well to make sure it is seated in its socket tightly.

Once it's nice and clean put slightly less than a pea-sized bit of thermal paste onto the middle part of the CPU and then attach the heat-sink while making sure that all 4 screws are nice and tight to the paste and CPU... Do not over-tighten these 4 screws but make sure they are all nice and tight. If your fan has failed completely then you might be able to purchase the fan on its own and connect it to the heat-sink but it might be just as cheap to pick-up a new heat-sink and the fan together.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies.

It looks to me like the top two screws on the Heat-Sink have broken through the plastic collars that hold the Heat-Sink in place. If I remove the cooling assembly to apply thermal paste, I'm afraid I won't get it back on.

Busted Screw top of fan Pic
    Seated Screw bottom of fan Pic

So I've been looking for replacement Heat-sink fans.

It's a Core 2 Quad Q8300 processor with a 775 Socket. I'm hoping a fan such as this one will do the job: Alaska K32
    The screws that hold that heat-sink (and all the other ones I've found) look different to mine. These seem to be quarter turn plastic ones, where-as, mine seem to be full metal screws with suspension springs. I'll know when I try to remove the heat-sink, I suppose.

Also thinking I'll replace the graphics card, as it has a fan that is struggling to spin.

PS - forgive the dust in those pics - the hoover will only reach so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Because you're using a HP I'm not sure if its standard S775 mounting holes - possibly, but you will have to take out the entire motherboard to replace the CPU cooler as it's one where the top part screws into the bottom - most are clip in but this one you have is a pain to replace.

Also there is no need to replace the graphics card as onboard graphics will be perfectly fine, the G210 is really a pointless graphics card unless you need the HDMI function or similar. Many G210 cards are fully passive i.e don't have a fan, so I wouldn't worry about it overheating much to be honest.

Given that the PC is only worth about €100 anyway, it might be as easy to pick up a cheap 2nd hand i5 Optiplex for €200 which would be far faster.

Thanks for the advice TerrorFirmer
    Because you're using a HP I'm not sure if its standard S775 mounting holes - possibly, but you will have to take out the entire motherboard to replace the CPU cooler as it's one where the top part screws into the bottom - most are clip in but this one you have is a pain to replace.

Uh oh! I'll have to try and find a fan that will definitely fit the CPU. Then I'll have a bash at removing the motherboard. Any tips on where to find one?
    Also there is no need to replace the graphics card as onboard graphics will be perfectly fine, the G210 is really a pointless graphics card unless you need the HDMI function or similar. Many G210 cards are fully passive i.e don't have a fan, so I wouldn't worry about it overheating much to be honest.

Understood. I have a small HD TV connected that I use as a monitor, so I need the HD output. I might still replace this G210 with a new one, which can be got for about £20stg.
    Given that the PC is only worth about €100 anyway, it might be as easy to pick up a cheap 2nd hand i5 Optiplex for €200 which would be far faster.

I'd rather not replace the PC until I can afford a much better one. I've never considered buying a PC second hand to be honest.

Advertisement