Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New graphics card

Options
  • 24-11-2015 12:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭

This is gonna be a chrimbo pressie so budget is around the 280 mark.

I was looking at either the GTX960 or R9380, both will be the 4GB model.

Which would you fellow nerds recommend?

Edit, I've asked peoples on facebook ad they're leaning towards the 960 but no harm getting a second opinion

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,611 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

I would have said the r9 380, I've had the previous itteration the r9 280, it's done well.

I would have thought the 960 is considered a bit slower, but more energy efficient (could well be wrong on this.).

I'm still a stickler for a good old hierarchy chart:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

380 for me too. You could also pick up a second hand 290 and have enough change for a Steam Controller or a nice mouse or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

Them 290's are dear even second hand.

Managed to find one on mindfactory for about 290, what are powercolour like?

It's the only one I could find for less than 350, even on adverts

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭MRTULES

Pretty sure I saw a 290x for 280 euro earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

I got a Powercolour 290 for €200 on adverts a few months ago, masse jump over a 960/280X, I'd hold out for a bargain in your shoes

• Advertisement

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Them 290's are dear even second hand.

Check out the ones that have previously sold on adverts, max selling price is €250, most go for between €200-€230.

If you were edging the price up near €300 I'd not bother, you'd be better off saving a bit more money and getting a 390.

PowerColor are kind of in the same position ASRock were in until recently, considered too cheap a brand to bother with, but their cards are well made (by Foxconn) and quiet enough. Judging from reading far too much of the internet (I'll finish it some day) their customer service is where they fall down, not honouring rebates and being difficult with refunds.
    Getting it from Mindfactory would incur a large delivery charge though, €30. €15-ish if you order after midnight and use mailboxde.

Made a decision to throw a few quid at this as well and get a 390.
    Managed to find an Gigabyte one on amazon.fr for 330 ish, they any use? The MSI version is about 345 as well.

Gigabyte one would be fine. Hang on until tomorrow or even Monday just in case something has it's price cut.

Edit: Case in point - OCUK just sold out of Sapphire 390s that were on sale for a couple of hours @ ~E310 delivered.

Could be a good thread tomorrow. A black friday graphic card deals thread

grindle wrote: »
    Gigabyte one would be fine. Hang on until tomorrow or even Monday just in case something has it's price cut.

Edit: Case in point - OCUK just sold out of Sapphire 390s that were on sale for a couple of hours @ ~E310 delivered.
    I couldn't find any mention of a Sapphire 390 on their site any time I looked over the last day or two, only 380's or 390X's

The XFX one is coming in at 330 at the mo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Eoinmc97

If you want to risk buying used;
    Look out for R9 290s and 280Xs.
    If you want to buy new, the R9 380X is the best bang for your buck in the €250 price bracket, woth no major competitor as it out-paces the GTX 960 and R9 380, but falls short of the R9 290 and GTX 970.
    Plus, the 380X now has added support for digital crossfire, LiquidVR and FreeSync, which is worth the price increase of €10 over the 280X.

eucomtech, what are they like to deal with? Cheapest around by a good bit for a Gigabyte 390..

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Eoinmc97

Tazzimus wrote: »
    eucomtech, what are they like to deal with? Cheapest around by a good bit for a Gigabyte 390..

Would also like to know about them, if anyone has any information.

Ended up throwing another 30 quid at it and getting the Sapphire 390 from Overclockers.
    Card is supposed to be 308mm long, my case can fit cards up to 310mm, gonna be snug ha ha

Advertisement