Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blackwater, a good are to live?

Options
  • 15-09-2015 9:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what blackwater is like to live in. Have holidayed in rosslaire strand many times a liked it but it is quite a bit more expensive to buy in than blackwater. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks in advance:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭Grueller

Just wondering what blackwater is like to live in. Have holidayed in rosslaire strand many times a liked it but it is quite a bit more expensive to buy in than blackwater. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks in advance:)

Lovely scenic village. A little more background info on what lifestyle you would like would be helpful here. Kids, work location, hobbies etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Where are you moving from OP? Blackwater is a nice spot but it would be a bit of a culture shock for anybody moving, say, from Dublin. These places virtually hibernate during the winter months, there is no public transport, little in the way of amenities and for choice in shopping you're about 30km from Gorey and maybe 20km from both Wexford and Enniscorthy.
    Could get a bit lonely if you're used to bright lights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Riverireland

Thanks for the replies guys. Quiet is what we are looking for but with some public transport and a short drive from amenities. Leaving Dublin to get away from the rat race and the anti social behaviour. With this in mind and a cash budget of 130k we need to be careful not to land ourselves in a rough part of a larger town. Any more tips on wexford or waterford would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Thanks for the replies guys. Quiet is what we are looking for but with some public transport and a short drive from amenities. Leaving Dublin to get away from the rat race and the anti social behaviour. With this in mind and a cash budget of 130k we need to be careful not to land ourselves in a rough part of a larger town. Any more tips on wexford or waterford would be great.

Wexford town is grand,there's a thread on moving there in the forum.Castlebridge could be an option,just outside Wexford with bus links and 10 minutes into the town.

zerks wrote: »
    Wexford town is grand,there's a thread on moving there in the forum.Castlebridge could be an option,just outside Wexford with bus links and 10 minutes into the town.

Thanks for the reply Zerks. Will look into castlebridge, thanks for the tip. What do ye all think of Rosslare harbour? Being near the sea and driving distance to a decent town it seems ideal, house prices low compared to rosslare strand. Any reasons why? Thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Bigus

Marhay70 wrote: »
    These places virtually hibernate during the winter months, there is no public transport, little in the way of amenities and for choice in shopping you're about 30km from Gorey and maybe 20km from both Wexford and Enniscorthy.
    Could get a bit lonely if you're used to bright lights.
    I disagree,
    There's a large community all year round in blackwater, unlike say curracloe or kilmuckridge, which clear out more in winter.

Large amount indigenous Wexford people but equally large community (maybe 50/50) of blow ins from South Dublin with also huge ex UK of Irish descent and married to irish,living full time there, so all sides very welcoming to newcomers, and generally upmarket spot. Way ahead of Rosslare imho regardless of cost .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

Thanks for the reply Zerks. Will look into castlebridge, thanks for the tip. What do ye all think of Rosslare harbour? Being near the sea and driving distance to a decent town it seems ideal, house prices low compared to rosslare strand. Any reasons why? Thanks again.

Depressing area, boarded up derelict hotels, empty retail units. Nobody about in Winter. Much nicer areas elsewhere

Depressing area, boarded up derelict hotels, empty retail units. Nobody about in Winter. Much nicer areas elsewhere

Thanks to elland back, a grim view indeed! Bearing the 130k budget can you suggest some areas to look at? Thank you. All information very welcome.

Bigus wrote: »
    I disagree,
    There's a large community all year round in blackwater, unlike say curracloe or kilmuckridge, which clear out more in winter.

Large amount indigenous Wexford people but equally large community (maybe 50/50) of blow ins from South Dublin with also huge ex UK of Irish descent and married to irish,living full time there, so all sides very welcoming to newcomers, and generally upmarket spot. Way ahead of Rosslare imho regardless of cost .

You see this sounds what we are looking for. From waterford originally but not sure about going back there, better areas would mean a mortgage and we'd like to be free of that. Don't want a dub hub, mixture of locals and blow ins would be perfect. Shame about rosslare harbour but better to know now than later as we don't want to move again. Ye are great for all the information, feel welcome already:)

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭blueskys

Blackwater area is perfect if you want peace and quiet, great beaches and close to Wexford Town. Be careful about buying in a holiday home type development though, build quality might not be the best. Other areas in Wexford that i think are nice are barntown, kilmore (bit out of the way maybe but a nice quiet area), rosslare strand, ardcavan, or anywhere just outside of town really. Wexford town has some really nice quiet parts too and on your budget you might be as well looking for a place there too. I'd say you would pick up a nice house in the town for that price, look in the older residential parts/streets which are generally quiet and friendly

• Advertisement

blueskys wrote: »
    Blackwater area is perfect if you want peace and quiet, great beaches and close to Wexford Town. Be careful about buying in a holiday home type development though, build quality might not be the best. Other areas in Wexford that i think are nice are barntown, kilmore (bit out of the way maybe but a nice quiet area), rosslare strand, ardcavan, or anywhere just outside of town really. Wexford town has some really nice quiet parts too and on your budget you might be as well looking for a place there too. I'd say you would pick up a nice house in the town for that price, look in the older residential parts/streets which are generally quiet and friendly

Thanks blue skies, if you have a minute you might pm me nice area of wexford town to check out as you may not want to post them here. Don't want to be near court town. Never been there but it's reputation for attracting partying dubs is not what we want at all. Heading down Monday for a look around, better leave here early so many places to see:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Bigus

Thanks blue skies, if you have a minute you might pm me nice area of wexford town to check out as you may not want to post them here. Don't want to be near court town. Never been there but it's reputation for attracting partying dubs is not what we want at all. Heading down Monday for a look around, better leave here early so many places to see:)

What you're trying to achieve deserves more than a days scouting so ,

Book in to the curracloe tavern hotel for the night , it's peanuts, and great value good food , talk to the locals in the bar ,maybe then try a short term house rental ( some available weekly / daily rates) .Blackwater lodge hotel only open weekends in winter( could do with new operator )

Houses selling quickly around BW now and making asking price , I know several people on the look out who were bargaining too hard.
    Lots of local tradesmen back working flat out , albeit, commuting to Dublin so a few bob floating around again compared to last 7 years.
    On a general point Be careful too,of houses for sale that are not really for sale but on the market to satisfy Banks, thrash this out with estate agent.

If you had some proof of funds show this to the principals in the estate agents to show you're serious and are ready to buy to really get their full attention.
    Happy hunting.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Geog1234

Have always found Rosslare Harbour to be an okay area with a good community spirit. It is fairly self sufficient – bank, post office, supermarket etc… Fairly limited bus service but has a direct rail service to Dublin (as does Rosslare Strand also) . There’s an integrated ferry and rail timetable from Rosslare through to London Paddington via Fishguard and Cardiff - one can bag one of the bargain all-in SailRail fares from Rosslare to London (or any city or town that has a station for that matter), hop on the ferry to Fishguard at breakfast time and, for example, be strolling the shops or museums in Cardiff mid afternoon. Also the possibility of a short break to France.

Sli Charman coastal walk from the Harbour to Carne or beyond.

Could be wrong but I think there will be a lot of developments for the better in Rosslare Harbour in the years ahead. Traffic through the port is growing and that’s going to have positive spin off effects locally.

Don’t know Blackwater and Castlebridge as well but they seem okay too.

Blackwater has a limited bus service. Michael Gray’s bus operates a daily service into and out of Wexford and Bus Éireann run along the coast road between Gorey and Wexford serving Blackwater on Mondays and Saturdays.

Castlebridge has three buses a day in and out of Wexford town but the last bus is at 3 o’clock in the afternoon so not a whole lot of use to workers. Ardcavan Coach Tours operate a daily public coach service from Castlebridge to Dublin.

Geog1234 wrote: »
    Have always found Rosslare Harbour to be an okay area with a good community spirit. It is fairly self sufficient – bank, post office, supermarket etc… Fairly limited bus service but has a direct rail service to Dublin (as does Rosslare Strand also) . There’s an integrated ferry and rail timetable from Rosslare through to London Paddington via Fishguard and Cardiff - one can bag one of the bargain all-in SailRail fares from Rosslare to London (or any city or town that has a station for that matter), hop on the ferry to Fishguard at breakfast time and, for example, be strolling the shops or museums in Cardiff mid afternoon. Also the possibility of a short break to France.

Sli Charman coastal walk from the Harbour to Carne or beyond.

Could be wrong but I think there will be a lot of developments for the better in Rosslare Harbour in the years ahead. Traffic through the port is growing and that’s going to have positive spin off effects locally.

Don’t know Blackwater and Castlebridge as well but they seem okay too.

Blackwater has a limited bus service. Michael Gray’s bus operates a daily service into and out of Wexford and Bus Éireann run along the coast road between Gorey and Wexford serving Blackwater on Mondays and Saturdays.

Castlebridge has three buses a day in and out of Wexford town but the last bus is at 3 o’clock in the afternoon so not a whole lot of use to workers. Ardcavan Coach Tours operate a daily public coach service from Castlebridge to Dublin.

Thanks Geog, info much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭anto9

Moved very close to Wexford Town from Dublin myself .Stayed two and a half years .Had a lovely bungalow with a large garden 4 km out .The big Problem I came across ,was that a well known Irish Romany type tribe (who shall remain nameless ) had a few family members living on the same lane as me .My immediate neighbours were fine though .Before you buy a house check it out at all times of day and night .Best to rent first ,and take your time about committing to a place .I now live abroad so its all water under the bridge .;-)

Advertisement