Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should i buy an i7 or wait for amd zen

Options
  • 27-11-2015 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi everyone I am looking for advice on a cpu upgrade I am currently using an amd fx 8350 liquid cooled stock 4ghz running at 4.5ghz with 16gb of corsair vengeance pro 2133mhz cl9 and a gtx 980 ti so my question is should I buy a i7 or an amd zen which is supposed to be on the am4 socket I'm not asking if intel is better I know they are but if the amd zen is on the am4 socket my motherboard should be compatible so any help would be appreciated and please don't turn this into an amd vs intel war thank you

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭9de5q7tsr8u2im

Sorry if this is a noob question but is there anything that beats an i7 processor in a Laptop?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

I'm not sure if it will work with that socket to be honest.

Zen will have new boards that are DDR4 only. It won't support the older DDR3 boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 oisinonbsloe

Sorry if this is a noob question but is there anything that beats an i7 processor in a Laptop?

Well from using gpu boss my fx 8350 in my desktop top benchmarks higher than my i7 4710hq in my laptop so the real question is which i7 is in your laptop

• Registered Users Posts: 6 oisinonbsloe

BloodBath wrote: »
    I'm not sure if it will work with that socket to be honest.

Zen will have new boards that are DDR4 only. It won't support the older DDR3 boards.

Oh I didn't know that just presumed amd would be keeping backwards compatibility

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Well from using gpu boss my fx 8350 in my desktop top benchmarks higher than my i7 4710hq in my laptop so the real question is which i7 is in your laptop

Well that's hardly extraordinary, of course it is, it's a full fledged desktop chip.

To answer the question, no, there is no faster processor in laptops than a current gen i7. Some of the bigger gaming laptops have actual desktop i7 processors in them rather than the mobile variants.

Zen won't be compatible with AM3+.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Eoinmc97

Depends on your workload really.
    Zen will feature 4-8 (possibly more) cores, on the AM4 socket with DDR4 support and apparently 28 PCI-E lanes from the socket alone.
    The core i7 is more of a workhorse CPU due to Hyper-Threading managing multi-tasking timings easier, but doesn't offer much of a bonus in gaming over a core i5.
    Other things to factor in;
    Kaby Lake will come out next year, which are to refresh the Skylake line-up, with most likely higher clocks.
    Broadwell-E is set to hit the shelves in Q3 2016, which will feature a 10 core behemoth with eDRAM on die. Pretty cool for workhorse PCs, but not for much else.
    Zen still has no information regarding clocks, although the IPC at matched clocks of Haswell 4590 matches apparently.

In either case, your going to need a new motherboard, and new RAM.

Advertisement