Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microsoft Office 2003

Options
  • 05-04-2014 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭

MS Office 2003 will no longer be supported after 8th April next week, and that is the office suite I have been using for quite a long time. I use MS Outlook, Word, Excel. What is the nearest version of MS I can install that is similar to the 2003 version. I do not like the Word version that has double spacing when typing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

The next version up is 2007 but that is a major redesign of the user interface. I think 2007 had that double spacing by default but that's just a paragraph setting. You can change that yourself. I can't remember how but I'm sure if you Google "Word 2010 paragraph spacing" you'll find instructions.

The ribbon UI takes a little bit of getting used to, but I've been using it for about 2.5 years and I honestly think it is better than the old toolbar/menubar UI. You just have to get over the initial learning curve.

EDIT: Here you go: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkE9WaKsZqE

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

A free open source alternative to Office would be LibreOffice or OpenOffice with Mozilla Thunderbird if you're stuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭KAGY

To remove extra spacing right click on the normal style and chose modify. Modify paragraph spacing as required and make sure " apply documents based on this template" box is checked.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Mr. G wrote: »
    A free open source alternative to Office would be LibreOffice or OpenOffice with Mozilla Thunderbird if you're stuck.
    Please note that the formulas in your Excel spreadsheets may not work in anything but MS Office. Open Office (which is free) and MS Office have slightly different formulas. Great if only you use it, not great if you ever have to send the Excel file to someone, as the formulas that you use in your open source alternative may not work in MS Office. Very annoying, but thought I'd give you a heads up (I found this out when I tried installed Open Office on my fathers laptop to save some money).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Why did MS introduce that double spacing as default in Word 2007?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

In 2007 if you hold the shift key while hitting return it will force a single space.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭KAGY

In 2007 if you hold the shift key while hitting return it will force a single space.
    That inserts a line break rather than a new paragraph. It will cause problems with bullets and paragraph justification
    If you don't want to use styles look in the page layout tab and you'll find options for spacing before and after paragraphs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

You don't have to upgrade just because MS stopped supporting it if you are happy with what you have.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Sabre Man wrote: »
    You don't have to upgrade just because MS stopped supporting it if you are happy with what you have.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2038505/for-securitys-sake-upgrade-to-a-newer-version-of-office.html

Advertisement