Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

External hard drive slow

Options
  • 04-04-2014 6:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭

Hi

Recently one of my external hard drives 2TB USB3.0 has started making clicking noises and started to become slow to open folders and videos take a while if I want to skip the intro to a movie.

It says I have 300GB of "other" files on it when I find out its info (I have a Mac).

Any ideas what the issue could be? Or how to fix this?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

It is also very slow to write(copy and paste22 mins for 5GB).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭johndoe99

"click of death", back up while you still can.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

back it up,at least the most important files.
    IS IT full ,?delete a few gig ,see if it makes any difference.

johndoe99 wrote: »
    "click of death", back up while you still can.

Any easy way to back it up without copying and pasting? As it takes ages, and will probably freeze if I do alot of data at once.
    riclad wrote: »
    back it up,at least the most important files.
    IS IT full ,?delete a few gig ,see if it makes any difference.

No its 2TB and theres 1TB free.

Any easy way to back it up without copying and pasting? As it takes ages, and will probably freeze if I do alot of data at once.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

YOU could back it up,
    format the drive, see if it goes back to normal speed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭johndoe99

Any easy way to back it up without copying and pasting? As it takes ages, and will probably freeze if I do a lot of data at once.

do you have 1TB of space on your Mac. Try copying a few files at a time, increase the amount you copy each time until it freezes, to give you an idea how much you can copy.

If you have another External HD, don't copy/paste directly from one external HD to another external HD, use the Mac's HD as a stepping stone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭whizbang

try to create a zip file on your local hard drive from the contents of the drive.

The zip process will grab the files one at at time, and shouldn't cause system to freeze.

Thanks for the advice. I only have about 5GB on my macbook :(:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Check the files you copy. They maybe corrupt.

You need to buy a new drive...

Advertisement