Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

EU not happy with Anglo, might weant it shut down

• 28-04-2010 6:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭

Matt Cooper in his blog and twitter and on the radio has said he has heard from sources that the EU is not happy with the bail out for Anglo Irish Bank and that they would prefer it was wound down.
    And Brian Lenihan for the first time today has said a long term wind down will be looked at

http://twitter.com/cooper_m

http://www.rte.ie/business/2010/0428/anglo.html

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

it is shameful if our own heads could not see that shutting anglo was the proper thing to do
    now europe tells them and they are about to make a u turn
    what a bunch of asses

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Pete M.

The EU aren't the only ones :mad:

And it would be a bit much to expect our 'heads' as you put it, to see anything that is going to happen more than 2 seconds in the future.

This is what should have happened months, nay, years ago.
    We don't need the EU to tell us this FFS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 131 ✭✭lionela

Regarding any closure of any financial house...think of the result for depositors in those institutions.

If the governments current guarantees are not extended in September...then we will see a mass withdrawing of depositors cash from said financial houses and more than likely transfered into an Post. That will leave no money for loans for house purchase for anyone ..and further damage the buildindg trade and all associated businesses.

We are all treading on eggshells at the present time Re. finance.

Let's get a grip for goodness sake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

lionela wrote: »
    Regarding any closure of any financial house...think of the result for depositors in those institutions.

If the governments current guarantees are not extended in September...then we will see a mass withdrawing of depositors cash from said financial houses and more than likely transfered into an Post. That will leave no money for loans for house purchase for anyone ..and further damage the buildindg trade and all associated businesses.

We are all treading on eggshells at the present time Re. finance.

Let's get a grip for goodness sake.

This gives you an idea of what it will cost to close it now:

The Irish Economy » Blog Archive » Anglo: What Are The Options?

Be careful of what you wish for!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Marshy

Just heard about this on Vincent Browne. Constantin Gurdgiev from TCD was on discussing it after Lenihan apparently said earlier he was open to debate on how to deal with Anglo.

Gurdgiev claimed experts are saying 27 billion will be the cost of winding it down. That will cover all its depositors. Bondholders won't get anything.

Either way its crucial we deal with Anglo in the cheapest/most efficient way. Things are getting nasty with Greece and soon we could be in similar problems with our debt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Sure the banks are not lending any money as it is.

I know business people who cannot even get over draft extensions and they are long term customers of the major banks in this country.

Anglo Irish Bank should have been let go to the wall in the first instance.

It should have never been bailed out by the tax payer, big mistake by Lenihan and the government.

Unsure how it would work out if it were to be wound down now.

Why are the EU sticking their oar in now when the horse has bolted

Why are the EU sticking their oar in now when the horse has bolted
    Well the Greece situation is threatning instability in the Eurozone and Ireland is one of the other highly indebted countries along with Spain and Portugal. Anglo is a large part of our problem and we have to be seen to be dealing with it properly. It's in everyone's interest (across Europe) that the euro stays strong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

There is even talk of Greece 'temporarily' leaving the Euro to solve the problem, and they are also considering devaluing the Euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭nachoman

IrishTonyO wrote: »
    Matt Cooper in his blog and twitter and on the radio has said he has heard from sources that the EU is not happy with the bail out for Anglo Irish Bank and that they would prefer it was wound down.
    And Brian Lenihan for the first time today has said a long term wind down will be looked at

http://twitter.com/cooper_m

http://www.rte.ie/business/2010/0428/anglo.html

Hold on a sec! Were'nt we warned that if we didn't bail out Anglo we would be buried under an even larger pile of debt and an even slower economic recovery?:mad:

IrishTonyO wrote: »
    There is even talk of Greece 'temporarily' leaving the Euro to solve the problem, and they are also considering devaluing the Euro.
    Yeah, Greece leaving monetary union would be a possibility (other countries as well I guess) but thats still unlikely I'd say. I don't think there's a way they could be kicked out, it would have to be up to them.

The way its going the euro is going to be seriously devalued alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭IrishTonyO

Just find it strange that these rumours start and then Brian Lenihan for the first time ever says he is open to a gradual wind down of Anglo!! Seems a bit much of a coincidence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

lionela wrote: »

They're not lending money to anyone anyway! And the building trade here is gazumped for the foreseeable future with or without Anglo. Anglo should have been let go under, it's mind-boggling that the government would choose to pump billions of public, taxpayer's money into a red-rotten bank that we don't even need. And even more mind-boggling that the likes of Sean Fitzpatrick and Michael Fingleton have not been called to task after basically riding a horse and carriage through the banking system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Marshy wrote: »

The way its going the euro is going to be seriously devalued alright.

The funny thing is, if we can survive, this is what people who want us to leave the Euro want, a devaluation. If only we could survive it!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭danman

Sure the banks are not lending any money as it is.

There are a number of projects being funded by Anglo at present.
    I can't speak for many of them, but one of the projects I'm working on at present is funded by Anglo.

It is a viable project with 2 large tennents in place.

If Anglo goes, it will bring down a number of businesses connected with this project. With a lot of jobs on the line. That's the only one I can speak of, but I'm sure it's not the only one.

There is always a bigger picture, and there's also the man on the ground. Anglo equated to 20% of Irish banking (I think). There are still an awful lot of businesses connected to their survival at present.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Oh?

- The EU too?

Fine that's almost everyone.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

Bit feckin late isn't it??We've already given them the bloody money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

dan_d wrote: »
    Bit feckin late isn't it??We've already given them the bloody money.

Do you really expect this one to come in on budget and on time - Its early days methinks :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

danman wrote: »
    I can't speak for many of them, but one of the projects I'm working on at present is funded by Anglo.

So you're happy that everyone in the country subsidises those jobs to the tune of €18,000 each ?

I could hire an additional person at that rate, and it would be fairer.
    It is a viable project with 2 large tennents in place.

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/44672000/jpg/_44672545_tennents-lovely466.jpg
    If Anglo goes, it will bring down a number of businesses connected with this project. With a lot of jobs on the line. That's the only one I can speak of, but I'm sure it's not the only one.

If Anglo DOESN'T go, it will bring down a lot more than "a number of businesses" by wrecking the entire economy (although I can't help thinking it has already done that).

Advertisement