Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Left Wing Government within our grasp

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Sulmac

PeakOutput wrote: »
    social welfare needs to be reformed so that it rewards short term unemployed and people who are actively and vigourosly looking for work and punishes the long term unemployed who have no physical or mental disabilities stopping them working

+1

Social welfare needs to be reformed drastically. It makes no sense that someone working for 20 years, earning say €50,000 a year who is now unemployed makes the same as someone who has lived off the dole their entire lives. The system needs to be reformed along the lines of the Netherlands, for instance, where you receive 75% of your previous income for the first two months and then down to 70% for a period of up to three years (or something like that). I'm not sure how they treat those who "live" on welfare (do they even have them?), but I think it's fair to reward those who have worked and earned more (and thus paid more tax/PRSI) than those that haven't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

This post has been deleted.

That phrase makes me sick to be honest and the idiots spouting it make me even sicker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Scuba Ste

first of all i have never advocated a ff led goverment so dont put words in my mouth

i also have not advocated any sort of far right fundamentalism.

I dont believe I put any words in your mouth or said you advocate any type of government, read what you will though.
    this tit for tat thinking wrecks my head. just because ibec get concessions we should get concessions......emmmmmmm NO. if a concession for one side is conducive to saving the country then they get it if it isnt then they dont, end of discussion.

Its just modern politics, both IBEC and ICTU represent different members of society, they have a right to pursue their own agenda. Its for the government to balance that out. And imo a state is more than just its economy.

well they arent going to form a majority so we will never know, they will be in coalition and have a so called 'right wing' party in forming the majority of the goverment
    They'll still be in government and I just dont see an economic apocalypse like some would have you believe.

and you think he is better then the rest? ;)
    Again I said nothing like that.

Who put words in whose mouth?

Tipp Man wrote: »
    That phrase makes me sick to be honest and the idiots spouting it make me even sicker

Well the apathy displayed by some people towards the less well off makes me sick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

Scuba Ste wrote: »
    They'll still be in government and I just dont see an economic apocalypse like some would have you believe.

yes because there will be another group there to control them

and you said you dont believe he meant what he said when he said he would reverse the paycuts this means he is lieing and you still want him in goverment
    Well the apathy displayed by some people towards the less well off makes me sick.

feeling that in general they are adeuately taken care off is not and knowing that to improve care for people who really need it you need to reform it for the people who dont is not apathy.

yes because there will be another group there to control them

Control them! You really think that's how government works. Sensible conservatives controlling crazy Trotskyites.
    and you said you dont believe he meant what he said when he said he would reverse the paycuts this means he is lieing and you still want him in goverment

Well show me a party leader that hasn't made some promise he can't keep and I might vote for them.

BTW I said I don't believe he would completely reverse them, I think in the current circumstances that would be next to impossible to do.
    feeling that in general they are adeuately taken care off is not and knowing that to improve care for people who really need it you need to reform it for the people who dont is not apathy.

How do you know whats adequate though? How do you know who needs state assistance? You can't value everyone by what they take or contribute to the state. For the most part those on the dole need it, most were in jobs 2 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

Scuba Ste wrote: »

How do you know whats adequate though?

me personally? i dont need to know whats adequate for individual cases to feel that on a hole they are adequately taken care of
    You can't value everyone by what they take or contribute to the state

for people with no physical or mental disabilities you pretty much can
    For the most part those on the dole need it, most were in jobs 2 years ago.

never said otherwise and i feel sorry that we cant give the short term unemployed more money on the dole because of the long term gougers but right now thats how the system works, it should be changed. it dosnt need a left wing goverment to change it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭bored and fussy

The labour party is more like a hen party

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

This post has been deleted.

i blame vincent browne , regardless of the nights topic on his tv show , at some stage , browne will start banging on about how unequal a society we have

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭MavisDavis

Many people would not vote for the Labour Party if there was a chance they would get into bed, so to speak, with Sinn Féin.
    I certainly wouldn't. In fact, if that combination came to power, I'd emmigrate.

As a previous poster has stated, I think a 2/3 FG, 1/3 Labour government is our best best. Leave majority governments out of it completely.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭GarlicBread

It all depends on how FF will be after the next election.

If they survive, it will be a FG/Lab gov.

If they get completely destroyed the votes they lose will filter into the rest of the parties, leaving FG as one solid block and giving the left more room for maneuverability than they ever had before. So lets hope FF gets completely destroyed.

Vincent Browne is bitching on about inequality because its the truth that we have abominable systems in place compared to swe, norway, finland, holland, belgium, denmark etc. Its not necessarily about money. The only thing those countries have that we dont is a higher level of ethics and an effective political system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

It all depends on how FF will be after the next election.

If they survive, it will be a FG/Lab gov.

If they get completely destroyed the votes they lose will filter into the rest of the parties, leaving FG as one solid block and giving the left more room for maneuverability than they ever had before. So lets hope FF gets completely destroyed.

Vincent Browne is bitching on about inequality because its the truth that we have abominable systems in place compared to swe, norway, finland, holland, belgium, denmark etc. Its not necessarily about money. The only thing those countries have that we dont is a higher level of ethics and an effective political system.

vinny browne ( like a lot of unelected lefties ) believes people need to be changed , that he knows whats best for them , the other night he made the outrageous claim that the lottery was a tax on the poor , his reasoning , the poor are so desperete , they need to take a shot on winning the lotto every week, without knowing it , he patronises a huge percentage of the population , clearly he thinks they are too stupid to spend thier money wisely and need to be protected and shephered like children , as for the nordic countries , so what if ireland is different than scandanavia , who says we have to be like the danes , if browne , bacik and fintan o toole want to redesign our society , let them start but putting thier names on a ballot paper but stop preaching to the rest of us about how awfull we are not to want to pay higher taxes so as social wellfare can be increased even further

Advertisement