Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gilmore accuses Cowen of "economic treason"

• 31-03-2010 4:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

No, it wasn't treason. He is however guilty of the highest level of damaging incompetence of any politician ever in Ireland. He was the Minister for Finance who established the current regulatory regime and who failed to display any sort of fiscal prudence during the entirety of our largest economic boom ever.

There was no malice or ill-intent. He is just a grossly incompetent man who has yet to apologise for his mistakes or to have the decency to resign as Taoiseach. Despite it clearly being the wish of the electorate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

hes an intelligent man, surrounded by well paid advisors - yet he is incompetent ?

hmmm, I think treasonous is more likely than incompetent

far more likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭sirromo

Reading this article that Kevin Myers wrote a few weeks ago did get me wondering if our government is acting primarily in Ireland's national interest.
    For the EU empire policy is to keep even worthless banks afloat: in just 18 months, there were no less than 70 bank/state-interventions across Europe, done under commission guidelines. Dear old Neelie Kroes was frank: "But the partner dynamic does not imply these are voluntary processes: we have no realistic alternative."

Maybe. But there is this other motive. Like all empires, the EU project depends on power and if it weathers this storm, the commission will be able to reform the entire retail and merchant banking sectors, from Galway to Gdansk, on lines congenial to its imperial interests.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Cowen does not have a clue what is going on? He probably does not even remember being Finance Minister. He has no answers or solutions, a man completely out of his depth or the scale of what needs to be done. He needs to be removed as Taoiseach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭moonpurple

america let lehmann sink, and the sky did not fall,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

You see once again how Gilmore comes across as the great man leading the opposition fighting for the poeple because his comment was the one most reported.

Except the comment or question that is the most telling was that made by Kenny when he referred to how cowen had a private dinner with the board of Anglo the week after the Quinn CFDs bailout was setup in April 2008.
    On April 24 2008, Brian Cowen sat down for a private dinner with the board of Anglo Irish including chairman Sean FitzPatrick and the chief executive David Drumm.at their headquarters on St Stephen’s Green
    A few weeks previously The Maple Project had been set up with the knowledge of the Financial Regulator to reduce businessman Sean Quinn’s financial interest in the bank. Quinn held 28% of Anglo Irish Bank through instruments known as contracts for difference.

Internal documents from the bank show that over a four-month period in 2008, Pat Neary, the then financial regulator, and his staff were kept abreast of the plan to reduce a secret 28% shareholding held by the insurance tycoon.

Just days before the bank lent €500m to 10 of its most highly-regarded clients to buy almost one-third of the stake controlled by Quinn, David Drumm, Anglo’s chief executive, sent an email to a colleague saying that the regulator was “squared”. Other documents refer to John Hurley, the then Central Bank governor, being briefed on Quinn’s massive exposure to the bank.

Now this was what first rattled cowen today.
    He said that he would treat that remark with contempt.

Now is inconceivable that the minister of finance had dinner with the chairman, CEO and board without raising the issue of them lending money to some of the banks customers to buy the CFDs (affectively share options in the bank) held by sean quinn owner of one of the biggest insurance companies in the country ?

Thus I suggest that cowen knew of the dodgy deals, saw nothing wrong with it and condoned what in most countries would be seen as insider dealing and misleading the markets.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

jmayo wrote: »
    You see once again how Gilmore comes across as the great man leading the opposition fighting for the poeple because his comment was the one most reported.

Except the comment or question that is the most telling was that made by Kenny when he referred to how cowen had a private dinner with the board of Anglo the week after the Quinn CFDs bailout was setup in April 2008.

Now this was what first rattled cowen today.
    He said that he would treat that remark with contempt.

Now is inconceivable that the minister of finance had dinner with the chairman, CEO and board without raising the issue of them lending money to some of the banks customers to buy the CFDs (affectively share options in the bank) held by sean quinn owner of one of the biggest insurance companies in the country ?

Thus I suggest that cowen knew of the dodgy deals, saw nothing wrong with it and condoned what in most countries would be seen as insider dealing and misleading the markets.

+1

And to answer the OP, yes it is treasonous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭FINGAL FAN

I regard Cowen as a incompetent idiot who puts party before country along with all the clowns he has gathered around him .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

DaDumTish wrote: »
    hes an intelligent man, surrounded by well paid advisors - yet he is incompetent ?
    As the saying goes, never ascribe to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. I'd say in this case its a healthy mixture of both, but even Cowen must realise by this stage that he was never running the show.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭Laminations

Amhran Nua wrote: »
    As the saying goes, never ascribe to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. I'd say in this case its a healthy mixture of both, but even Cowen must realise by this stage that he was never running the show.

Never award stupidity OR malice with a cushy pension, car and driver for life.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Cowen is not a traitor and its stupid language to use. He is weak and not very good at his job. Now if he'd been a finance minister in North Korea....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Treason by gross incompetence.:(

mike65 wrote: »
    Cowen is not a traitor and its stupid language to use. He is weak and not very good at his job.

No, it's silly to use it against the leader of the opposition criticising B Ahern when he was in S Africa in 2008 - it's very pertinent to apply it to a man who has been and is at the epicentre of the greatest disaster to hit this country since the Civil War.
    And in that charge, he is most certainly not alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,956 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

i notice he's fond of using the best advice at the time defense when challenged. so bascially he is in effect admitting he's a figurehead and is incapable of using his own initiative to challenge advice and make decisions. so really he's admtting indirectly he's incompetent/fit for office.

so at best you can say in his defense, that he was a buffoon surrounded by clueless buffoons whispering his ears, or he was a buffoon who was not listening to prudent advice. actually neither scenario are really much of a defense!

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭hipster2009

Cowen and Ahern are equally responsible for the mess as the country was been run based on who gave the most money to FF at the tent in Galway!:(

They sold out all of us for the party!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

'Economic Treason' - absolute genius and entirely accurate accusation from Gilmore... the perfect description.

And I gaurantee that in years to come future generations will remember Cowen and his cronies for committing 'economic treason'. Those two little words will become as well known as 'boycott'.

Nice to see Cowen trying very unsuccessfully to weasle his way out by playing the patriot game card... and then when Enda had him on the ropes he was unable to do anything but mutter than he held the comment in contempt... and fair play to Enda - he came back with a very apt reply.

What I can't understand is that RTE news said that Cowen showed clear emotion after Gilmore's comment... he did in his hole, he showed the his fake indignation when faced clearly with the truth.

These people are traitors to Ireland... they have used this country for their own avarice and are no better than the Tans, if anything they are worse because they are doing it to their own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Bailing out his developer friends that fund Fianna Fail. All at the expense of the taxpayer.

Sounds like treason to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭theg81der

• treason - a crime that undermines the offender's government
    • treason - disloyalty by virtue of subversive behavior
    • treason - treachery: an act of deliberate betrayal

So yes then by these definitions! Bailing out his buddies at the expense of his country and countrymen (and women - forever!).

And don`t think Enda Kenny or anyone else thats there wouldn`t have done almost the identical thing or will when they get in - we need a complete rethink!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Great quotable by Gilmore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,666 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Treason no. However on the one hand one has to call into question the idea that a professional politician, or the lawyers or other professions that seems to proliferate in politics should be let near any decision making as to how an economy should be run or managed? very few have any track record in business and if you wouldnt thrust them to manage a McDonalds franchise, why would anyone give them the keys to the loot. In short I doubt if mattered, had any of the other likely suspects had the key posts, the result would have been the same

On the other hand as I think DF maybe coming at this from a free market perspective, was the system designed to fail given that everyone at the top only has a 5 year time horizon and clearly the establishment had an incentive to be pro cyclical. Yes for sure - plus the reams of poor policies from benchmarking to decentralisation to tax breaks for hotels/property and to the planning system for creating artificial shortages.

Peronally when I am making big decisions in life I have to take at least a 10/20 year horizon, for instance I wouldnt dream of buying a second house or car unless I had locked in school fees for the kids and paid off the mortgage. Now that maybe just me but it is natural for people generally have longer timeframes then the term of an average government. It however seems impossible for big government to coordinate longer time frames. For instance thanks largely to the fact that people have no control over the services that gov provide we have 200K too many properties yet we have a creaking water infrastructure, which in an alternate reality would be invested in first ahead of say giving people free money to build hotels. And that's before getting into generational welfare issues which most countries have firmly buried their heads in the sand over. But hay what do I know!

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭patmar

Labour is nearly 100 years old
    FG is nearly 80 years old

Neither have remotely come close to forming a single party government

Neithwr can claim to have achieved anything worthwhile in their now long miserable history

It will be 30 years before they win enough seats to form a government between them

They have lost the last 6 elections in a row

The last time they were in government it was handed to them on a plate to do a specific job. They failed miserably ! One of the reasons they failed was because included in that government were a group with a dirty political record. The other two parties had a shocking record of failure when in government

These perpetual losers are passing judgement on the only party that has done anything to benefit the people of Ireland

These perpetual losers are calling the leader of FF a traitor

These perpetual losers should take a good look in the mirror ask themselves what exactly is wrong with them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭SLUSK

What kind of government guarantees all deposits? That is beyond insanity. In Sweden they guarantee deposits of up to €50 000 per bank and I think this amount is too much. There should be no bank guarantees from government. I am not sure if treason is the correct term to use but guaranteeing all deposits was just madness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭theg81der

"These perpetual losers are passing judgement on the only party that has done anything to benefit the people of Ireland"

What? what have they done? Bankrupt and ruin our country for years to come - this post has made me quite angry! :mad:

I was with you when I thought you were saying they`re all as bad as each other, which is my point also, but no you actually believe FF are a cut above. Typical FF arrogance and delusion thats all I can say!

Patmar,

Party allegiances are irrelavant... the difference is treasonable Cowen and his cronies are culpable in the present, and not only that but they are also traitors to the Fianna Fail party.

When was the last time Fine Gael were in government and what baring does that have on the present, which is under Cowen's watch?

Bit like saying that Ron Atkinson is to blame because man United lost last night - a weak argument usually trotted out by those justifying the indefensible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

was the system designed to fail given that everyone at the top only has a 5 year time horizon and clearly the establishment had an incentive to be pro cyclical.

Thats one part of it for sure. People themselves tend to think short term, as we've seen with the global recession, and the Government is there to satisfy that poor decision making basis.

I also think that a lot of Government economic decisions can be tied to the fact that benefits are concentrated while costs are diluted. A tariff on a certain good will cause the price to go up. The higher price will be shouldered by the whole population, and will be hardly felt on an individual basis. However the beneficiaries - the producers of the same good domestically - are relativly few, and with less people to share the benefits each person gets a lot. So those beneficiaries are going to try and get in the ear of those in Dáil.

Obviously that kind of specific example doesn't happen in Dublin, what with the single EU market, but the central principle spreads to vast areas of Government spending. The same principle is why building motorways is a vote winner: it costs the average taxpayer little but benefits the local person a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭juuge

Poor pitiful Cowen, as RTE put it...his 'emotional response' to Eamon Gilmore. A lot less emotional Mr Cowen than driving home to tell your wife and kids that you’ve been made redundant, or having just about scraped up the mortgage for a house now worth half of what you owe and having a measly few bob left to buy food and heat. Yeah Mr Cowan you have a good auld cry for yourself followed by a round of applause from your party cronies. My heart bleeds for ya!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,666 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I also think that a lot of Government economic decisions can be tied to the fact that benefits are concentrated while costs are diluted. A tariff on a certain good will cause the price to go up. The higher price will be shouldered by the whole population, and will be hardly felt on an individual basis. However the beneficiaries - the producers of the same good domestically - are relativly few, and with less people to share the benefits each person gets a lot. So those beneficiaries are going to try and get in the ear of those in Dáil.

I agree with that, its the whole "seen versus unseen" idea. In the hands of the government and seperated from market signals we get any number of crazy spending/tax decisions and or illiberal laws and regulation all dressed up as either helping people or for the greater good, when in reality the motivation is a payoff to some producer group , lobby or voting group.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

patmar wrote: »

So ? I'd prefer a competent coalition to a single party government.

The last time they were in government it was handed to them on a plate to do a specific job. They failed miserably ! One of the reasons they failed was because included in that government were a group with a dirty political record. The other two parties had a shocking record of failure when in government

Define "shocking record of failure"....

(This should be interesting, considering "completely annihalating an economy and making matters even worse by bailing out their mates in banks" obviously doesn't register with you as a "failure")
    These perpetual losers are passing judgement on the only party that has done anything to benefit the people of Ireland

Ah yes, we love the "benefit" of handing over our hard-earned billions to a group of private unidentified FF cronies.

With good reason.
    These perpetual losers should take a good look in the mirror ask themselves what exactly is wrong with them

If you were referring to FF, then I'd agree 100%. Unfortunately you're not.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Posted by patmar

What would you say this Government achieved as opposed to failure of labour and FG? I know what its not failure its way beyond that, dereliction of duty, gross negligence and financial meltdown of an order that the country may never be rid of, corruption, cronyism .....need I go on. Failure looks good compared to the legacy of Ahern and Cowen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭freewheeler

Neithwr can claim to have achieved anything worthwhile in their now long miserable history

It will be 30 years before they win enough seats to form a government between them

They have lost the last 6 elections in a row

You are trying to defend these traitors by deflecting the blame..brilliant strategy, however these clowns that you support have now shown us exactly where their priorities lie(if we didn't know already) Shame on them and all their supporters..hopefully it will eventually lead to their permanent demise and rid our country of these spineless buffoons.I hope that you and your ilk are happy at what you have inflicted on us all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Economic treason sounds good ..nice soundbite ...but lets remind ourselves.

In 2007 the writing was on the wall, the celtic tiger proper (the one based on manufacturing and services) had long since emigrated to Bangalore and Bratislava and we were blowing the bubble, selling houses to each other.

Ther were warnings galore that this couldn't go on forever, that we had to be prudent (remember the "suicide" comment from Bertie?) yet we continued spending money we didn't have.
    The then finance minister Biffo produced a big spending spree of a budget (3.7 billion) as a sweetener for the masses ...and ...you eejits elected those eejits yet again.

Who was again it that said "every people get the governement it deserves"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 tipptodd

I think for far too long Mr Gilmore and his party have thrown around allegations of corruption without any evidence and its time they either back up these comments with evidence or keep quiet.

Its much like Labours policy. For long now Eamon Gilmore has said we have a major jobs crisis, which of course we do. But he just states the obvious providing absolutely no policy or solution to the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

tipptodd wrote: »
    For long now Eamon Gilmore has said we have a major jobs crisis, which of course we do. But he just states the obvious providing absolutely no policy or solution to the problem.

Er, might that be because he's in opposition* ?

FF didn't accept his opinions and policies for a sensible solution to the banking crisis that didn't involve mortgaging the country, so why should he bother wasting his breath ?

*Then again, it might also be because we have no Minister for Employment to accept his suggestions....... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 tipptodd

Liam Byrne wrote: »

FF didn't accept his opinions and policies for a sensible solution to the banking crisis that didn't involve mortgaging the country, so why should he bother wasting his breath ?

Opposition for opposition sake is not what this country needs. Opposition should critically analyse government policy but should also provide clear alternatives which labour has not unlike FG who have put forward policies on banking, jobs and health even if some of the policies are flawed.
    As for labours policy on banking.What policy? Nationalise the banks? This still does not solve the problem whether the bank is owned by the state or privately. The problem of bad loans and under capitalized banks still exist and credit will not flow to business unless these problems are solved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭jackcee

moonpurple wrote: »
    america let lehmann sink, and the sky did not fall,

The sky did fall - and it fell on you and me.

Given their time over again, the Yanks would not have let Lehmann go.
    They had to save AIG that same week - and took a calculated risk that it was alright to let Lehmann go. Turned out to be the single worse thing that they could have done.
    But hindsight is hindsight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Coles

'Economic treason'? - That's about right. I can certainly accept that he's a thick plank too but his primary motivation is loyalty to his treacherous political party. This country has been destroyed by Ahern, McCreevy, Cowen and Lenihan, and by bailing out their patrons they have ensured that the next generation of FF scum will rape our Nation again.

Shame really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭The Raven.

Mr Gilmore alleged the Government had decided to introduce a bank guarantee for Anglo - “a rotten bank that acted as a piggy bank for property speculators” - simply to “save the skins” of a number of individuals, some of whom are connected to Fianna Fáil.

“If my belief is correct, and I have not been convinced to the contrary, then that decision is an act of economic treason for which this country is now paying very dearly,” Mr Gilmore said.

It is my belief too, Mr. Gilmore. Guilty as charged.

What is actually more notable than Gilmore's treason comment, is that the 'leader' of our country when put on the spot didn't actually answer Gilmore or Kenny - a tacit admission of guilt if I've ever seen it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Liam Byrne wrote: »

*Then again, it might also be because we have no Minister for Employment to accept his suggestions....... :rolleyes:

I'd add that Labour do have a policy document released around the last budget. It advocates a 1.15 billion job stimulus and graduate/trades placements designed to get 60,000 people off the dole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭Floppybits

What is annoying me more than anything is the arrogance of the Cowen, to say that he is not beholden to anybody is a sign of the contempt that FF hold for everyone in this country.

Mr Cowen is beholden to somebody, he is beholden to the People of this Country and not to his brethren in FF. The quicker that man learns this the better things will get in this country. The man has committed treason and in any other country would be forced from office. Him and FF party are a disgrace and should be banned and outlawed for what they have done.

• Advertisement

Lads these are the questions cowen has to answer on the particular topic I raise above:

What was the purpose of the private meeting (dinner) on April 24 2008 when Brian Cowen, Minister of Finance, sat down with the board of Anglo Irish including chairman Sean FitzPatrick and the chief executive David Drumm ?

Was it a fund raiser ?

Did he leave with a personal or party donation ?

What did they discuss ?
    Did they discuss the Anglo loan to 10 high net worth customers to buy the outstanding CFDs belonging to sean quinn and his family ?

This had happened the week before.
    The financial regulator and central bank knew about it so did the Dept of finance and the minister of finance brian biffo cowen know about it.

Now if some ffer knows any answers to these then fine come on here and tell us, but do not come on here spouting the usual drivel about how many elections ff have won and how they were the only party capable of single party rule. :mad:

Lads these are the questions cowen has to answer on the particular topic I raise above:

What was the purpose of the private meeting (dinner) on April 24 2008 when Brian Cowen, Minister of Finance, sat down with the board of Anglo Irish including chairman Sean FitzPatrick and the chief executive David Drumm ?

Was it a fund raiser ?

What did they discuss ?
    Did they discuss the Anglo loan to 10 high net worth customers to buy the outstanding CFDs belonging to sean quinn and his family ?

The financial regulator and central bank knew about it so did the Dept of finance and the minister of finance brian biffo cowen know about it.

Now if some ffer knows any answers to these then fine come on here and tell us, but do not come on here spouting the usual drivel about how many elections ff have won and how they were the only party capable of single party rule. :mad:

Myles Dungan on the PK show has asked a simple 'why can't we know what went on at that private dinner' of an FFer (Billy Kelleher) and the deflection and obfuscation is rampant - he's asked the same question about ten times!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

peasant wrote: »
    Economic treason sounds good ..nice soundbite ...but lets remind ourselves.

In 2007 the writing was on the wall, the celtic tiger proper (the one based on manufacturing and services) had long since emigrated to Bangalore and Bratislava and we were blowing the bubble, selling houses to each other.

Ther were warnings galore that this couldn't go on forever, that we had to be prudent (remember the "suicide" comment from Bertie?) yet we continued spending money we didn't have.
    The then finance minister Biffo produced a big spending spree of a budget (3.7 billion) as a sweetener for the masses ...and ...you eejits elected those eejits yet again.
    Who was again it that said "every people get the governement it deserves"?

True,,,,,,,,, winging moaning idiots who voted in this government deserve it,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Funny that you put that in, I have been reading whats been said on other boards and this seems to be a common thread from all FF supporters. I think the fact is that they know they are destroyed as a party.

tipptodd wrote: »
    Opposition for opposition sake is not what this country needs. Opposition should critically analyse government policy but should also provide clear alternatives which labour has not unlike FG who have put forward policies on banking, jobs and health even if some of the policies are flawed.
    As for labours policy on banking.What policy? Nationalise the banks? This still does not solve the problem whether the bank is owned by the state or privately. The problem of bad loans and under capitalized banks still exist and credit will not flow to business unless these problems are solved.

bull

It starts, the old FF/FG (two cheeks of the one arse) trick of smearing the opposition because its different, lets hope more people cop on to this.....

Its time for something different boys and girleens

a party political broadcast on behalf of meditraitor

As pointed out by Mirriam Lord in the Irish Times cowen and his sidekick the much lauded lenihan always claims they had to make snap decisons on the night of the bank guarantee and they took best advice yet look at the following:
    Labour’s Pat Rabbitte wrote a letter to The Irish Times last year.

He told Madam:

“In Tuesday’s Dáil debate I asked the Minister for Finance about the claim by Morgan Kelly of UCD that on September 29th the Department of Finance sought to exclude Anglo Irish Bank from the guarantee but were overruled by the Taoiseach and the Minister for Finance. Mr Lenihan’s response is intriguing: ‘The only decision the Government had to take was whether we would proceed to guarantee all institutions or whether we could contemplate the nationalisation of this institution as we are doing and guarantee the rest of them.’”

The letter continues: “But it appears that the Department of Finance came to that meeting with a ready-made Bill to take over Anglo Irish Bank. According to Mr Lenihan: ‘The only legislation before the Taoiseach and I on that evening was a Bill which, in all material terms, is the same as the Bill before the House today’ ie, the Bill to nationalise Anglo Irish Bank.”

So there WAS documentation on that night when we are told by the Taoiseach that he and his minister and civil servants were winging it. It was a Bill to nationalise Anglo.

In the age of too much information, the new often drives out the important. Traditional media can be hugely valuable in realising when this is happening and at putting stuff like this back in the national shop window.

The core of this is that they lied and they had always planned to bail out Anglo.
    Why ?

Was it a fund raiser ?

What did they discuss ?

It was mentioned on the news or primetime the night before so I doubt it had any real punch in the Dail, as usual enda is a bit slow with the news.

The FF party are treasonous I believe, but the voters who put them there are more to blame,,,, morons.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭BANZAI_RUNNER

Personally I think Cowen is guilty as charged, I have a 3 year old who will be paying this debt off and so will his kids, it's a disgrace, Cowen should be dragged from the Dail in handcuffs along with the rest of his crew and strung upon the railings in front of Leinster house and left there as a reminder to all those who will follow after

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭sirromo

jmayo wrote:
    The core of this is that they lied and they had always planned to bail out Anglo.
    Why ?

They might have been under pressure from the EU to prevent the kind banking collapse that could trigger the domino effect that might lead to the toppling of other banks throughout the EU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭anymore

Could you edit your thread to read ' economic treason' and not ' treason'; there is a significant difference.

• Advertisement
Advertisement