Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

not genuine copy of windows

Options
  • 02-04-2014 10:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭

Hi all,
    my laptop is telling me that windows is not genuine, haven't changed anything on it and when I go to validate, its saying that the product code is not valid.
    Is this a virus?
    I have ran malwarebytes and an antivirus scan but nothing has changed.
    Has anyone any idea what is wrong?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,353 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Is there a Windows sticker with a product code on the underside of the laptop or under the battery?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭yawhat!

Was it bought new or second hand?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Was Windows reinstalled on it at any point, say in a repair shop?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

I had this too lately.

It seems to have been caused by a Windows automatic update. I solved it by Ctrl+Alt+Del and then restarting my PC to complete the update.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭konman

The laptop was bought new in pc world about 5 years ago and has the sticker on it with the product key. it keeps on asking me to validate windows and ive entered the product key a few times just incase I entered it wrong and it keeps saying its not a valid windows product.
    No, windows has not been reninstalled and it has not been in a repair shop either,.
    Also my antivirus keeps disabling and now its asking me to turn on windows defender which I cant find.
    Sabre man ive tried that and still the same.
    thanks guys for help, have ye any more ideas of what I can do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

What version of Windows is it? You might need to get onto Microsoft about that if you havent had a reinstall or anything like that. They're not guaranteed to help but you could try it.

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    What version of Windows is it? You might need to get onto Microsoft about that if you havent had a reinstall or anything like that. They're not guaranteed to help but you could try it.

Hi, it windows 7.
    found windows defender, it was turned off, trying that now.

edit, no luck there either.
    theres a message on bottom right hand of screen saying windows7, build 7601, this copy of windows is not genuine.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

If you got it from PC World it must be pretty genuine. Call Microsoft and get them to sort it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

konman wrote: »
    Hi, it windows 7.
    found windows defender, it was turned off, trying that now.

edit, no luck there either.
    theres a message on bottom right hand of screen saying windows7, build 7601, this copy of windows is not genuine.

Yep, call Microsoft. Make sure you tell them that you have the genuine sticker on the PC with the product key. They should be able to help you out.

thanks for all the help guys, got it sorted out at last.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭johnnybmac

konman wrote: »
    thanks for all the help guys, got it sorted out at last.

It would probably be helpful to others who encounter the same problem (who search on here, in the future...) if you could explain how you sorted it out ;)

Advertisement