Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ban clubs with large debts!

• 11-10-2008 2:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭

Uefa have set up a discussion group to discuss the indebtedness of some European clubs, and suggesting the possibility of exclusion from European competitions for insolvent ones. Does anyone think they'd ever bar Man Utd, whose debt is about 20% of all the EPL, and which debt increases every year?

Certainly they have a point - the clubs with the largest debts in europe are the most successful ones.

http://soccerway.com/news/2008/October/08/uefa-official-suggests-debt-laden-clubs-facing-red-card

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

so what like 2 teams competing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,815 ✭✭✭Charlie

I think debt is perfectly acceptable in terms of the business aspect of the club, i.e. Arsenal borrowing to build a new stadium.

However, debt that is acquired to bolster the squad, or even worse, to allow owners (e.g the Glazers) to purchase the club, should definitely be outlawed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 756 ✭✭✭D.S.

I don't think you can impose restrictions on how clubs spend funds they raise through debt.., it could be fairer to all clubs, and possibly provide some stability if clubs were restricted by how much debt they could raise (e.g. % of revenue, or % of league size etc etc)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Wow, they finally realise it. After it ****ing happened. Maybe they could have acted when two completely debt free clubs were taken over and loaded with debt, instead of now, when they are only acting because English clubs are winning stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Against the idea myself aslong as the debt is serviceable. If a club like any business takes the risk they know that it could have a positive or negative result.
    Anyway, doubt it'll happen for the same reason one of the few Platini ideas I did support never happened (removing seeding of teams for champions league qualifiers making it possible for small teams to meet and go through and putting an emphasis on finishing top of your league to avoid a potentially tough qualifier)
    Simple reason, anytime something like this is threatened the top european clubs threaten to break off and set up a super league. End of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Against the idea myself aslong as the debt is serviceable. If a club like any business takes the risk they know that it could have a positive or negative result.
    Anyway, doubt it'll happen for the same reason one of the few Platini ideas I did support never happened (removing seeding of teams for champions league qualifiers making it possible for small teams to meet and go through and putting an emphasis on finishing top of your league to avoid a potentially tough qualifier)
    Simple reason, anytime something like this is threatened the top european clubs threaten to break off and set up a super league. End of.

It has happened, from next season 5 low ranked teams are guaranteed to qualify while teams that dont win their leagues will be drawn against each other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,277 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

PHB wrote: »
    Wow, they finally realise it. After it ****ing happened. Maybe they could have acted when two completely debt free clubs were taken over and loaded with debt, instead of now, when they are only acting because English clubs are winning stuff.

indeed - there was no discussion when Milan were in debt, or when Barcelona were 200million in debt. I hear no disuccsion started a a result of Valencia being in massive debt. I heard no calls for punishment when Real get bailed out by the Spanish government. It is only when it is the English clubs do well despite debt that Uefa decide 'something needs to be done'. Uefa are a disgrace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

At the end of the day, it's a fairly obvious attempt to break the dominance of the English clubs.

When Italian teams were propped up by illegalities and industrial patrons did they complain?

When Chelsea were under Ranieri did they complain?

When United were struggling behind Arsenal and Chelsea did they complain?

The English league is currently the strongest mainly because they've got barrell loads of money coming in. That's not their fault. Attempting to remove them from competition is cowardly.

Besides, I certainly can't see them pulling too far ahead of teams like Barca or Real Madrid, why not let the football pitch be the arbiter, rather than Platini and his cohorts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

At
    The English league is currently the strongest mainly because they've got barrell loads of money coming in. That's not their fault. Attempting to remove them from competition is cowardly.

They're the strongest because they spend the most money - borrowed money. What other industry would be allowed to trade in that way? What'll happen if the banks turn off the taps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

nipplenuts wrote: »
    They're the strongest because they spend the most money - borrowed money. What other industry would be allowed to trade in that way? What'll happen if the banks turn off the taps?

Pretty much every other :)

And United and Liverpool aren't in debt because of how much they spend on the pitch, they are in debt because the authorities, including UEFA, let random people take over the club and load loads of debt on it.

• Advertisement

But that's not really true, is it? They increase their debt through high wages etc.

In any case, the siege mentality of England vs Uefa. Are England not part of Uefa?

It's not just English clubs that'd suffer in the very unlikely event anything was actually done.

PHB wrote: »
    And United and Liverpool aren't in debt because of how much they spend on the pitch, they are in debt because the authorities, including UEFA, let random people take over the club and load loads of debt on it.

Oh please. If the profiteering owners of the clubs didn't sell, no random new owners could buy. Nothing to do with "authorities". Just a transfer of assets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Waffle. As if they would countenance banning any of the clubs that are guaranteed to pull in the most TV bucks.

stovelid wrote: »
    Waffle. As if they would countenance banning any of the clubs that are guaranteed to pull in the most TV bucks.

That's pretty much my feeling on it too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Pure Cork

English football being £3billion in debt is nothing to worry about.

Advertisement