Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warm fuzzy feeling etc.

Options
  • 15-11-2007 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭

ok, basically there is a couple of things I'd like to discuss, I am not having a dig, and my view is not to offend or inflame. (Brian, I know your Son has been sick etc, so I'm not attempting to undermine your view, though some of your posts regarding it got me thinking) I may be well off the mark, but at this moment in time it expresses how I feel. I'd love some Christian input

1. 'That warm fuzzy feeling'. It is so vague. I have experienced what many have described, but so what! Haven't other religious folk (non-christian) also? Is it just pushing ourselves into believing that God is present with us. I have been moved to tears, shame, joy etc, however, I tend to wonder if I am just feeding my own emotions and my strong wanting to feel 'gods presence' makes me decieve myself.

2. prayer, healing etc. why do we pray to guide the doctor to be competant etc.? Why not pray for our sick to be healed? Why don't we have faith in god enough to go without conventional medicine? If someone has cancer, and they are christian, then why don't they have all the family laying on their hands and praying for their health to return. Why do people pray that 'the doctors and the medicines work'? I just find it odd? If God is going to be gracious enough to intervene, then surely he'd intervene in a way more than just helping the doctors?

3. Do we see the gifts of the spirit in action today, in the same way it would have been seen in apostolic times?

As i said, this is discussion material, though you can gather from my tone, I am sceptical, I would invite all views from christians.
    thanks.
    Just to confirm, I would really appreciate if this was kept as Christian response only. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

JimiTime wrote: »
    ok, basically there is a couple of things I'd like to discuss, I am not having a dig, and my view is not to offend or inflame. (Brian, I know your Son has been sick etc, so I'm not attempting to undermine your view, though some of your posts regarding it got me thinking) I may be well off the mark, but at this moment in time it expresses how I feel. I'd love some Christian input

1. 'That warm fuzzy feeling'. It is so vague. I have experienced what many have described, but so what! Haven't other religious folk (non-christian) also? Is it just pushing ourselves into believing that God is present with us. I have been moved to tears, shame, joy etc, however, I tend to wonder if I am just feeding my own emotions and my strong wanting to feel 'gods presence' makes me decieve myself.

2. prayer, healing etc. why do we pray to guide the doctor to be competant etc.? Why not pray for our sick to be healed? Why don't we have faith in god enough to go without conventional medicine? If someone has cancer, and they are christian, then why don't they have all the family laying on their hands and praying for their health to return. Why do people pray that 'the doctors and the medicines work'? I just find it odd? If God is going to be gracious enough to intervene, then surely he'd intervene in a way more than just helping the doctors?

3. Do we see the gifts of the spirit in action today, in the same way it would have been seen in apostolic times?

As i said, this is discussion material, though you can gather from my tone, I am sceptical, I would invite all views from christians.
    thanks.

Are we atheists to stay out, Jimi?

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

I like warm fuzzy feelings, but in themselves they are insufficient. For example, I get warm fuzzy feelings when I'm with my wife - but if I abused her or kicked her around the house then that would prove my feelings didn't mean much.

Therefore we need to test all experiences to see if they are genuine. Do they match up with the Bible? Do they produce more of a Christ-like nature or do they make me mean and nasty?

In prayer we ask God to do many things. Belief in the supernatural does not mean that we abandon the natural. For example, I pray for God to keep me safe every time I travel, but I still put my seat belt on.
    Not as often as I would like, and often not as spectacularly as in apostolic times, but, yes, I see the gifts of the Spirit in action today.

Interestingly I hear more testimonies of such gifts in action when I am in third world countries or in persecution situations. Maybe our comfort and prosperity lulls us into complacency?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

Scofflaw wrote: »
    Are we atheists to stay out, Jimi?

cordially,
    Scofflaw

TBH, It would be preferential. It is a subject matter that could be cannon fodder for certain folk. My fear is that the OP could get lost in arguements with the usual suspects:) I really want it dealt with from a Christian perspective. If you think you could approach the subject matter in such a way, by all means give your input. i just don't want it to go off on a tageant, or to decend into defending myself as a christian. You know what I mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

TBH, It would be preferential. It is a subject matter that could be cannon fodder for certain folk. My fear is that the OP could get lost in arguements with the usual suspects:) I really want it dealt with from a Christian perspective. If you think you could approach the subject matter in such a way, by all means give your input. i just don't want it to go off on a tageant, or to decend into defending myself as a christian. You know what I mean?

Sure. You'd get a repeat of the "presence of God" thread. You could put "this is a Christian-only thread please" in bold to resolve any doubt, although of course it'll get lost by the second page.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

PDN wrote: »
    I like warm fuzzy feelings, but in themselves they are insufficient. For example, I get warm fuzzy feelings when I'm with my wife - but if I abused her or kicked her around the house then that would prove my feelings didn't mean much.

Therefore we need to test all experiences to see if they are genuine. Do they match up with the Bible? Do they produce more of a Christ-like nature or do they make me mean and nasty?

I agree with this sentiment. However, do you think that at times that the 'warm fuzzy feeling' is in fact Holy Spirit or Gods Presence etc? Correct me if I'm wrong, but you seem to suggest, that if you do good things after a warm fuzzy feeling, its from God, if not, its not from god? Did i pick you up correctly? If i did, then i still see a huge vagueness in such an experience.

In prayer we ask God to do many things. Belief in the supernatural does not mean that we abandon the natural. For example, I pray for God to keep me safe every time I travel, but I still put my seat belt on.

I get what you are saying, but is this not faith watered down? Jesus tells us that if we have faith the size of a mustard seed, we can tell a mountain to move! or was that specifically to his apostles who had been given such power?
    Not as often as I would like, and often not as spectacularly as in apostolic times, but, yes, I see the gifts of the Spirit in action today.

I think I recall you saying you had a stomach issue while in Africa that was cured miraculously? Was it dramatic apostlic like healing? No medicine, and abslutely cured at the moment the spirit came upon you? You have no doubt whatsoever that this was a spiritual healing?
    Interestingly I hear more testimonies of such gifts in action when I am in third world countries or in persecution situations. Maybe our comfort and prosperity lulls us into complacency?

I know the net is not an authority on everything:) However, al the things I have loked up regarding miraculous healings etc, are still not apostolic instances. I seen a crippled man told to walk, he walks, but still looks like he struggles a hell of alot with doing it. i suppose, there is nothing I've seen that would be a sign of God in action in these things. As for complacency, what do you mean? complacent how?

• Advertisement

I agree with this sentiment. However, do you think that at times that the 'warm fuzzy feeling' is in fact Holy Spirit or Gods Presence etc? Correct me if I'm wrong, but you seem to suggest, that if you do good things after a warm fuzzy feeling, its from God, if not, its not from god? Did i pick you up correctly? If i did, then i still see a huge vagueness in such an experience.
    I think it's one element of testing an experience. The Bible would, for me, be a more important way of testing stuff.
    I get what you are saying, but is this not faith watered down? Jesus tells us that if we have faith the size of a mustard seed, we can tell a mountain to move! or was that specifically to his apostles who had been given such power?
    Paul was an apostle but he had to catch a boat to get from A to B instead of just being beamed up, Star Trek-style, by faith. Paul also advised Timothy to take a little wine as a remedy for his weak stomach.
    I think I recall you saying you had a stomach issue while in Africa that was cured miraculously? Was it dramatic apostlic like healing? No medicine, and abslutely cured at the moment the spirit came upon you? You have no doubt whatsoever that this was a spiritual healing?
    Actually it was like that, instant and with no medicine. However, that was 11 years ago and I've not personally experienced such dramatic healing since, but then again I haven't been so sick. :)
    I know the net is not an authority on everything However, al the things I have loked up regarding miraculous healings etc, are still not apostolic instances. I seen a crippled man told to walk, he walks, but still looks like he struggles a hell of alot with doing it. i suppose, there is nothing I've seen that would be a sign of God in action in these things. As for complacency, what do you mean? complacent how?
    No, that doesn't look very apostolic to me either.

As for complacent - we don't really need miracles very often. When people lack the basic necessities to stay alive then prayer is a matter of life and death.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭BrianCalgary

ok, basically there is a couple of things I'd like to discuss, I am not having a dig, and my view is not to offend or inflame. (Brian, I know your Son has been sick etc, so I'm not attempting to undermine your view, though some of your posts regarding it got me thinking) I may be well off the mark, but at this moment in time it expresses how I feel. I'd love some Christian input.

Glad my posts got you thinking. :)
    1. 'That warm fuzzy feeling'. It is so vague. I have experienced what many have described, but so what! Haven't other religious folk (non-christian) also? Is it just pushing ourselves into believing that God is present with us. I have been moved to tears, shame, joy etc, however, I tend to wonder if I am just feeding my own emotions and my strong wanting to feel 'gods presence' makes me decieve myself..

There is a definite difference between the peace we felt in the waiting room of the hospital vs the peace we feel as we go into a football match.

Jesus does rpomise that where 2 or 3 are gathered in my name I will be with them. So Jesus being with us in the waiting room of the hospital is scriptural. I also think that He made His presence known to us as a comfort.
    2. prayer, healing etc. why do we pray to guide the doctor to be competant etc.? Why not pray for our sick to be healed? Why don't we have faith in god enough to go without conventional medicine? If someone has cancer, and they are christian, then why don't they have all the family laying on their hands and praying for their health to return. Why do people pray that 'the doctors and the medicines work'? I just find it odd? If God is going to be gracious enough to intervene, then surely he'd intervene in a way more than just helping the doctors?.

In this type of prayer you are basically asking for God's intervention. For Him to be with the surgeons as they do their work.

There are very gifted doctors out there (my sons surgeon is brilliant at heart surgery). God has given him that gift and heart for heart surgery and God revels in the enjoyment that the doctor gets out of healing people.

As it is with the entire medical profession. The doctors and nurses are using their God given gifts to heal.
    Thanks.

Not so much here in our first world countries. Too bad actually. We see it in turned around lives but taht would be about it.

I do hear from our missionaries of miraculous stuff happening in Africa, Central America and South East Asia.

I think it's one element of testing an experience. The Bible would, for me, be a more important way of testing stuff.

I like your concept of 'testing'. To be specific, if you got the 'warm fuzzy feeling', how would you test if its from God?
    Paul was an apostle but he had to catch a boat to get from A to B instead of just being beamed up, Star Trek-style, by faith. Paul also advised Timothy to take a little wine as a remedy for his weak stomach.

I take your point. Have you an opinion on why this was the case?
    Actually it was like that, instant and with no medicine. However, that was 11 years ago and I've not personally experienced such dramatic healing since, but then again I haven't been so sick. :)

I'm sorry to probe on this. Were you in this state all the way up to the moment the laying of hands occured. Again, I'm sorry for probing, I just want to get as accurate a picture as I can.
    As for complacent - we don't really need miracles very often. When people lack the basic necessities to stay alive then prayer is a matter of life and death.

Do you think people have enough in the scriptures to have Faith in God? I.E. No signs etc are necessary. The apostles used signs of Gods power to reveal The Living God to the various peoples of the nations, is that what they are for? As testimony of God. this may explain why Africa experience such signs, they are getting the testimony now? We have inherited the message through our fore-fathers acceptance of it, so we don't need such signs? maybe?

I like your concept of 'testing'. To be specific, if you got the 'warm fuzzy feeling', how would you test if its from God?
    Well, to use an obvious example, if you get the warm fuzzy feeling when you're actively participating in something that the Bible says is sinful, then that would indicate that the feeling is probably not God.

However, if the feeling comes at times when the Bible specifically promises God's presence (eg while worshipping or praying) then that is a good indication.
    I take your point. Have you an opinion on why this was the case?
    I believe miracles are, by definition, unusual. By and large we have to live in a normal world and are subject to physical laws and natural processes.
    I'm sorry to probe on this. Were you in this state all the way up to the moment the laying of hands occured. Again, I'm sorry for probing, I just want to get as accurate a picture as I can.
    My symptoms matched those of 'rice water cholera' - an epidemic of which was hitting the community where I was staying. I could barely stand, was vomiting, could not drink a glass of water without immediate bowel movement, and had crapped 26 times in one night. Some African Christians laid hands on me and I stopped vomiting straight away. They fed me some rice and chicken, then put me in a car for a long journey over bumpy roads to my next speaking engagement. The chicken remained in place in my stomach! No vomiting & no more craps. It was very dramatic.
    Do you think people have enough in the scriptures to have Faith in God? I.E. No signs etc are necessary. The apostles used signs of Gods power to reveal The Living God to the various peoples of the nations, is that what they are for? As testimony of God. this may explain why Africa experience such signs, they are getting the testimony now? We have inherited the message through our fore-fathers acceptance of it, so we don't need such signs? maybe?
    Like a credit card company offering an interest free 6 months to new customers?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Splendour

Hi JimiTime,

am sure you've heard this joke before but I think it's quite apt for point no. 2 of your OP.

God's Help!

There once was a flood and everyone had reached safety except for one man.

He climbed to the top of his house with the water lapping at his feet.

A helicopter flew over his head and hung down a rope for him to climb, but the man was deeply religious and said, "It's alright! The Lord will save me!"

So the helicopter flew away. The water continued to rise and a boat came to him but, once again, the man shouted, "No! Go AWAY! the Lord will come and save me!" and, once again, the boat sped off.

The water was getting dangerously deep by now so the helicopter came back and, on cue, the man repeated, "I don't need saving! My Lord will come"

Reluctantly, the helicopter left.

The rain continued to pour, the water continued to rise and the man drowned.

At the gates of heaven, the man met St. Peter. Confused, he asked, "Peter, I have lived the life of a faithful man - why did my Lord not rescue me?"

St. Peter replied, "For pity sake! He sent you two helicopters and a boat!"

I don't intend to be flippant here, but this is a humourous reflection as to how God works;he uses people.
    I have been very sick for a couple of years and have prayed for God to guide me toward the right person who could help me,(had been to various Doctors who couldn't help). I was referred to a 'non Christian' herbalist by my cousin and am finally getting my health back.
    I had been prayed over but didn't get any relief at all, but then His ways are not always our ways...

As for the warm fuzzy feeling-this is something I've never experienced. I have feelings of closeness to God but not that tangibile sensation I've heard others talk of.

As PDN has said, the bible where I get my faith from not mushy emotional feelings. If we were to live life on how we felt all the time there'd be nowt a marraige left in the world! Or what about children? How many parents have gone through the teen years 'feeling like' they hate their children?!

Emotions are like the wind changing from day to day/hour to hour, but God's word and his promises never change...

• Advertisement

Glad my posts got you thinking. :)

Its all you can ask for really isn't it. That you can provoke thought. I often think, even in arguements that go nowhere, maybe when that person is alone something you said may have just provoked thought.

....Anyway.

There is a definite difference between the peace we felt in the waiting room of the hospital vs the peace we feel as we go into a football match.

Jesus does rpomise that where 2 or 3 are gathered in my name I will be with them. So Jesus being with us in the waiting room of the hospital is scriptural. I also think that He made His presence known to us as a comfort.

Indeed I agree with the scriptural basis for Christ being present. However, its how its manifested. I am not denying that you had sense of calm due to Holy Spirit. However, I think the whole 'warm fuzzy feeling' thing can be very deceptive. I think we can invoke it on ourselves at different emotional times. Such a want to feel that God is there can make you feel such a way. Thats all. I've seen people say that they know God exists based on this feeling. I just think its a very emotionally driven, and very ambiguous scenario. My love for my wife, gives me that feeling at certain times. When I read the Gospels I get that feeling at certain times. Personally I think its just overwhelming emotion, however this is just an opinion of mine.
    In this type of prayer you are basically asking for God's intervention. For Him to be with the surgeons as they do their work.

There are very gifted doctors out there (my sons surgeon is brilliant at heart surgery). God has given him that gift and heart for heart surgery and God revels in the enjoyment that the doctor gets out of healing people.

As it is with the entire medical profession. The doctors and nurses are using their God given gifts to heal.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but are you saying modern medicine is a gift from God? I could say, that rather than a doctor having a gift, he spent 8 years studying anatomy books, which are the accumilation of hundreads of years of research. Some of it very shady research, I.E. Human experimentation. I am a very good singer, and humble as you can see:D, but I would not say that it is a gift from god in such a direct way. It is a gift in the same way that life is a gift. He has created us with certain features which can manifest themselves in certain ways, such as vocal chords being tuneful. I would be very sceptical in presenting such things as gifts from god in such a way. Everything is a gift from God indirectly in that without him there would be nothing. But I detect that you are saying he is working through the doctor? I suppose I'd ask, is there any biblical instances where God works in such a way? I suppose what I would ask is: Did this way of looking on things originate out of people feeling that there was little action seen anymore, as regards the gifts of the spirit, so they started to say, Its just that he's now operating in a different way. I mean, if a loved one has a masectomy, then goes through Chemo, and come out well on the other side; why would you call that God in action? This is something that could happen to a Satan worshipper is it not? These are genuine questions, I'd liked reasoned out.

Not so much here in our first world countries. Too bad actually. We see it in turned around lives but taht would be about it.

I do hear from our missionaries of miraculous stuff happening in Africa, Central America and South East Asia.

So we are acknowledging that God works in this way still? Yet, when something exhibits little evidence of divine intevention, such as a doctor nursing a patient back to health, we still attribute it to Gods working through the doctor?

We are told to be wary of false prophets, who will give great signs etc. If we believe God acts in such ambiguous ways, does that not leave us suceptible to Satans trickery?

Splendour wrote: »
    Hi JimiTime,

am sure you've heard this joke before but I think it's quite apt for point no. 2 of your OP.

indeed I did. Good joke in its own right:D
    I don't intend to be flippant here, but this is a humourous reflection as to how God works;he uses people.

I'm not saying he doesn't. Its the manner of use.
    I have been very sick for a couple of years and have prayed for God to guide me toward the right person who could help me,(had been to various Doctors who couldn't help). I was referred to a 'non Christian' herbalist by my cousin and am finally getting my health back.
    I had been prayed over but didn't get any relief at all, but then His ways are not always our ways...

Glad to hear you got your health back. However, you see how it could very easily be reasoned that God had little to do with it? You were simply recommended to someone who could help you, you were given the right stuff, and bobs your uncle. Again, I'm not saying that God had nothing to do with it, however it is a very vague scenario, that IMO cannot be with any certainty attributed to God.
    As PDN has said, the bible where I get my faith from not mushy emotional feelings. If we were to live life on how we felt all the time there'd be nowt a marraige left in the world! Or what about children? How many parents have gone through the teen years 'feeling like' they hate their children?!

Emotions are like the wind changing from day to day/hour to hour, but God's word and his promises never change...

Indeed, I wouldn't describe it as 'mushy'. Emotions are very powerful, and very moving at times but 'the heart can be treacherous'. My point is that, rather than God doing it, we do it. The feeling is an overwhelming emotion, rather than The Holy Spirit passing through us etc.

Well, to use an obvious example, if you get the warm fuzzy feeling when you're actively participating in something that the Bible says is sinful, then that would indicate that the feeling is probably not God.

However, if the feeling comes at times when the Bible specifically promises God's presence (eg while worshipping or praying) then that is a good indication.

But this means that we can get this feeling without God. So why would you believe that it is God at certain times? Why not just think that you are having an emotional experience?
    My symptoms matched those of 'rice water cholera' - an epidemic of which was hitting the community where I was staying. I could barely stand, was vomiting, could not drink a glass of water without immediate bowel movement, and had crapped 26 times in one night. Some African Christians laid hands on me and I stopped vomiting straight away. They fed me some rice and chicken, then put me in a car for a long journey over bumpy roads to my next speaking engagement. The chicken remained in place in my stomach! No vomiting & no more craps. It was very dramatic.

Indeed, it certainly sounds like you were blessed. What an amazing feeling you must have had?
    Like a credit card company offering an interest free 6 months to new customers?
    :D Wouldn't quite put it like that. But if anything is going to show someone that you are not just a charlatan, its a divine sign. On a side note, One of my favourite stories is the one about Elijah and the Baal worshippers. Brilliant:D

Advertisement