Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's Ireland eating? is on now.

Options
  • 08-05-2011 9:45pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭

This is really great stuff. One of the people on stated that the next generation is the first one that will actually live shorter lives than their parents.

I remember back to the outrageous lies and deranged claims they were making in "The End of Aging" where they said that half of the girls born today will live to over 100. :confused: Instead of spreading damaging lies like that documentary, this will do a lot of good. Good on RTE for once.

This is great stuff. Turn it on right now, record it, if you care about your health at all you should watch.

Edit: Bah, right now it seems this is all just about how the supermarkets are pushing out the smaller food producers and farms and not about health at all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,535 ✭✭✭baldbear

I think everything so far is pretty well know already. Thai chicken coming in and fillets get injected with crap.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

Yes, but are we really thinking about it enough? I think more exposure to this type of thing can only be good. And what are the preservatives etc. they are putting on foods.

I thought they might go more in depth after that but it seems they are going more along the "economic" side of things which I have don't have much interest in. Though after the ad break it may change.

I find that when I look at things like this, I actually tend to automatically eat more healthily for a bit afterwards. It's like an advertisement to you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

I thought they might go more in depth after that but it seems they are going more along the "economic" side of things which I have don't have much interest in. Though after the ad break it may change.

Seems to be more focused on the economic aspect since the ad break with a look at the impact of supermarkets.

Interesting - but nothing new.

Yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,535 ✭✭✭baldbear

I used to work in a bakery and Calcium propanoate was the preservative put into to the bread to keep it fresh. Its in all shop bread as far as i know.

You had to use a mask when dealing with it. I'd say it could be used in a terrorist chemical weapon it was that bad!

Tesco have huge power but i suppose thats capitalism for you..

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭offaly1

Good program! extremely interesting, a program that would certainly make me think when i am out doing my shopping!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

No statement from Dunnes.

Dodgy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TaraFoxglove

These types of shows always make me feel so conflicted.

One the one hand, I'm happy to pay a bit extra for Irish chicken. On the other hand, I understand not everyone can do this, especially if you have numerous mouths to feed. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭offaly1

Ill be thinking about doing a bit more of my shopping in my smaller local shops rather than the bigger supermarkets....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭GSF

Just the usual Tesco bashing. RTE dont like private businesses operating & winning based on high volumes and tough cost control. Same with Ryanair.

Its not exactly how RTE does business.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

I can't say that I watched much of this programme, but I did see the presenter poking around in school kids lunches. How was he allowed to do that? I wonder did the parents of said kids know in advance that their kids lunches would be examined by an RTE documentary crew?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Hal Emmerich

If the majority of people seen what goes into/ how what they eat is made nowadays, they would be alot healthier.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭turbodiesel

baldbear wrote: »
    I think everything so far is pretty well know already. Thai chicken coming in and fillets get injected with crap.

I'm not anti dunnes or anything but from memory the text on their chicken is "processed/packaged in Ireland" with a "jobs for ireland" sticker on it but the chicken isn't actually irish....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Thought is was a very poor program. Told us very little, and was like a poorer version of the series channel 4 did last year or the year before in the UK. Couldn't even watch all of it. Very disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭zsha

I thought this programme was great, I thought its about time people including myself start to realise exactly what we are eating. And I think the authorities have a responsibility to us to make us aware of everything that goes into our meat. Especially things that have been linked to illnesses. That nitrite percentage was astonishing:eek:
    I def will be looking at what Im buying from now on. I do understand though that this is hard for people with a large family or that. But I am very happy that RTE showed us a bit of useful info!

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭bc dub

Very good programme. It should be compulsory to watch it!

If you can't afford good meat, then do without. Great way of losing a bit of weight and makes you cherish the meat when you do get it, providing it's good quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭Doodah7

bc dub wrote: »
    Very good programme. It should be compulsory to watch it!

If you can't afford good meat, then do without. Great way of losing a bit of weight and makes you cherish the meat when you do get it, providing it's good quality.

I agree it was an excellent programme but what you have said is not what the programme was about. The programme made no mention of good or bad meat rather that processed meats, when not eaten in moderation may have health impacts.

The other focus was on the country of origin of food, again not Irish meat/poultry=good, foreign=bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭zsha

It should be interesting to see this weekend if the local butchers see any increase in business!;)
    I for one will definitely be buying from my local craft butcher instead of buying in the stores like I normally do.

Advertisement