Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GMO grown in open

Options
  • 14-05-2014 10:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭

Is it legal to grow GM crops outside of laboratory conditions in Ireland?. I've been told that they are being grown alongside non GM crops in Co Carlow where I'm from.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Seanachai wrote: »
    Is it legal to grow GM crops outside of laboratory conditions in Ireland?. I've been told that they are being grown alongside non GM crops in Co Carlow where I'm from.

Is that at Oak Park? Is it a part of an experiment to test cross pollination?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Seanachai

It's not unfortunately, it's out in the open about fifteen miles away from Oak Park. I can't seem to get a straight answer from anybody about it, lets just say the farmer who owns the land wouldn't be the most concerned person.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭The_Captain

By Teagasc. Who are perfectly entitled to grow them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Seanachai

By Teagasc. Who are perfectly entitled to grow them.

Just because it's legal doesn't mean it's right. I wonder if more people were made aware of this how would they feel about it. There's probably local people who don't even realise it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

What's the buffer zone?

• Advertisement

Just because it's legal doesn't mean it's right. I wonder if more people were made aware of this how would they feel about it. There's probably local people who don't even realise it.

All their stuff is grown for research purposes

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Jim Martin

I thought Ireland had voted not to grow GM?

Jim Martin wrote: »
    I thought Ireland had voted not to grow GM?

It can't be grown for commercial use, it can be grown by particular bodies for research

Advertisement