Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greatest Battles in Gaming *spoilers*

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,872 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Did you play much of it? MGS3 is a game that takes about 2 hours to get into before it finally clicks and you start having fun with it. I was initially disappointed at first but it ended up being one of the best games on the PS2. If you haven't given it a chance then it might be worth going back to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Did you play much of it? MGS3 is a game that takes about 2 hours to get into before it finally clicks and you start having fun with it. I was initially disappointed at first but it ended up being one of the best games on the PS2. If you haven't given it a chance then it might be worth going back to.

Oh I played the full game because I love the MGS story. But shamefully, I used the ARMAX cheat disc to give me the stealth camo suit to get through it after a few hours of banging my head off a wall.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,872 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I guess you don't have much patience then :) Is an awful lot slower than the other games in the series and you really have to take your time if you aren't going to rambo through it. I liked it for that but I can see how it would frustrate some other people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

I guess you don't have much patience then :) Is an awful lot slower than the other games in the series and you really have to take your time if you aren't going to rambo through it. I liked it for that but I can see how it would frustrate some other people.

Last word on this (aka: desperately trying to save some cred :pac:) it wasn't the waiting around that bothered me, any time I was indoors in that game was brilliant. Sneaking around, waiting under a parked truck at one point observing enemies patrol routes.

It was more that I suck at noticing the enemies that are well hidden, or that are on the other side of a swamp. I guess my field of vision IRL is just too narrow so I focus on one part of the screen and miss out on stuff. :)

But yeah... MGS Forum >>>>>>>>> :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Penn wrote: »
    Bit of an over-exaggeration there. You get him down to half his health, then a 5 second cutscene. Get him down to half his health again, then a 5 second cutscene. Then when you defeat him, the very end of the fight involves you pressing the punch button as part of the cutscene. It's cinematic. It doesn't ruin the flow because the fight itself changes each time it happens. The flow changes itself.

I loved how the music changed from one round to the next. I still prefer fighting The Boss in MGS3, that was beautifully done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Skip to around 7:22 for the final boss fight and escape

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Xx-oNUud0Qk#t=436s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,912 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

So battles then.....

Doing my yearly replay of Final Fantasy IX and was reminded of this. The music gives me chills every time I hear it.

I liked FF9, but a lot of it didn't make much sense to me at the time.
    I LOVED the ending though.
    But the likes of Kuja, Ozma was it ? , and Necro or whoever... , awful baddies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,731 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

SeantheMan wrote: »
    I liked FF9, but a lot of it didn't make much sense to me at the time.
    I LOVED the ending though.
    But the likes of Kuja, Ozma was it ? , and Necro or whoever... , awful baddies.

I give Necron a pass on appearing out of nowhere, since it is technically a god -- and sometimes, gods just happen to wait until the last minute to show themselves.

You just gotta accept, and then beat the snot out of it with Freya's Dragon's Crest for 9999dmg/turn :cool:

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    I give Necron a pass on appearing out of nowhere, since it is technically a god -- and sometimes, gods just happen to wait until the last minute to show themselves.

The old school FF games before FFVI had final bosses that appeared out of nowhere, sure they even pulled that one in FFVIII as well. I figured it was an homage to those.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

The old school FF games before FFVI had final bosses that appeared out of nowhere, sure they even pulled that one in FFVIII as well. I figured it was an homage to those.

Took me a few playthroughs but my theory is that when Kuja pretty much destroys the crystal (the centre of all creation) along with himself and your party, it brings forth Necron (representing death itself seeing as the origin of everything was just destroyed).

Officially:
    In "Final Fantasy 20th Anniversary Ultimania - File 1: Character Book", Necron is described as, "a being awakened by Kuja's fear, despair, and hatred, which called out to it as he learned of his mortality, just as his ambitions were within reach".

Most likely a homage though....

I'll probably have to play through it again at some point now that I'm an "adult" and can probably comprehend some of the more theological theme's that are going on :P

I'll probably have to play through it again at some point now that I'm an "adult" and can probably comprehend some of the more theological theme's that are going on :P

To be honest it's a fairly crappy story.

To be honest it's a fairly crappy story.

They were all a bit mad and mental if you analyse them in-depth, even FF7/8 which were my faves. Wouldn't mind giving em a go on PC though, not really into digging out the PS1.
    Will have to look up some emulators- though I could never get them working

The FF games are lots of fun but the stories range from poor to bat **** insanity :) I'd steer clear of PS1 emulation. It's a pain in the ass and the results are far from accurate, although I would be very pedantic about emulation.

The FF games are lots of fun but the stories range from poor to bat **** insanity :) I'd steer clear of PS1 emulation. It's a pain in the ass and the results are far from accurate, although I would be very pedantic about emulation.

I gave my mate my PS1 and CRT , they don't play too well on modern tellys, and I've no idea where my PS2 is.
    Are FF8/9 available via PSN for PS3 ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,731 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I gave my mate my PS1 and CRT , they don't play too well on modern tellys, and I've no idea where my PS2 is.
    Are FF8/9 available via PSN for PS3 ?
    Yes.

Be aware that they'll have PAL slowdown though, so in FFIX you can't get Steiner's ultimate weapon because of timing issues (and the game will run slower generally).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

MoH: Allied Assault.

D-Day. That level. Epic.

Definitely get the FF games, and really all PS1 games from the US store. They play an awful lot better.

Advertisement