Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Plastic Paddy

• 23-11-2011 9:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭

Apologies if this thread has been done to death, but this term gets thrown about quite regularly, but what does it actually mean?

For example, I've been called it before. I play traditional Irish music, I'm a big fan of Irish folk music, I've an Irish family, and I've grown up surrounded by Irish culture. As a result, I'm very interested in Irish history too. At Uni, I've applied to do Irish studies.(with English)

Am I a plastic? Actually reading that back it does look like I am, but I've never felt like that!

How would you define one?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Cill Dara Abu

It means you're a wannabe stereotypical Irishman.

Diddly i

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭AlmightyDublin

brummytom wrote: »
    Apologies if this thread has been done to death, but this term gets thrown about quite regularly, but what does it actually mean?

For example, I've been called it before. I play traditional Irish music, I'm a big fan of Irish folk music, I've an Irish family, and I've grown up surrounded by Irish culture. As a result, I'm very interested in Irish history too. At Uni, I've applied to do Irish studies.(with English)

Am I a plastic? Actually reading that back it does look like I am, but I've never felt like that!

Are you fom Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

Bullshít phrase. you sound more Irish than most people with a harp on their passports.

Hit us up if youre looking to play at a session in dublin anytime

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

You can't really define somebody with a word that's just as plastic as the the term of reference itself Brummy .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,117 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Are you fom Ireland?

He's from da ghetto, innit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

Any relation of rubber jonnie?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭senorwipesalot

You dont sound plastic, more polycarbonate.

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Are you fom Ireland?

He's from da ghetto, innit.
    Bhaile Mhun? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

How are ya at weilding a giant inflatable hammer in tricolour shades.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

To me it means anyone who pretends to be Irish just to gain something from it or because it's trendy. You wouldn't fit into that category at all Tommy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

hold a lighter to yourself, do you melt or burn ?

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭slapbangwallop

Its a horrible and ugly little term. It started its life as a stick to beat young second generation Irish people that were proud of their roots and hadnt assimilated 100% into British culture.

Even sader is that it has been adopted by some insecure Irish people that have most likely never lived outside of Ireland and dont realise how proud second and third generation Irish are of their roots.

I would never use the term unless is was in jest and with someone I knew because I know it can be an acidic barb, and I generally make a point of pulling people up on it if they use it.

Irish people should be proud of people that werent born on the island of Ireland that consider themselves Irish or hold their Irish hertitage dear to them.

Good luck to you Tom.

Digbeth Abú

Bhaile Mhun? ;)

Bhaile Brum.

To me it means anyone who pretends to be Irish just to gain something from it or because it's trendy. You wouldn't fit into that category at all Tommy.
    That's usually because brand Ireland has been sold to them in their own countrys ie , Britain so you can't blame them if they want to join in the 'craic ' even if it's just to vist temple bar for piss up or follow Ireland in football competitions (euro 88,italia 90 ,Seoul 2000 ...euro 2012 )
    Its a horrible and ugly little term. It started its life as a stick to beat young second generation Irish people that were proud of their roots and hadnt assimilated 100% into British culture.

Even sader is that it has been adopted by some insecure Irish people that have most likely never lived outside of Ireland and dont realise how proud second and third generation Irish are of their roots.

I would never use the term unless is was in jest and with someone I knew because I know it can be an acidic barb, and I generally make a point of pulling people up on it if they use it.

Irish people should be proud of people that werent born on the island of Ireland that consider themselves Irish or hold their Irish hertitage dear to them.

Digbeth Abú
    This post sums exactly what it means .

Bhaile Mhun? ;)

Bhaile Brum.
    Haha brilliant!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

There are lots of people with English accents living near me. I know the difference from the Irish ones and the English ones

woodoo wrote: »
    There are lots of people with English accents living near me. I know the difference from the Irish ones and the English ones

You could be an interpreter

woodoo wrote: »
    You don't happen to live near Andy Townsend do you ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

You could be an interpreter

I prob should have added that i know them too. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭texidub

The ignorance on here is something else.. do ye not know your own history, folks?

Plastic Paddy is a term used to describe a group of cutting-edge prototype Paddy designs, first developed in UCD in the 1970s.

The Plastic Paddy Project (which ran from 1972-1977) was initiated to counterbalance the effects of a falling population caused by a weak-legged males and the Irish Mosquito Apocalypse of 1969, which saw the number of fertile men in Ireland fall to 17.

Having literally run out of spunk (and with 16 of those men emigrating to London to seek relief from the government's forced copulation program) the government started drawing on Ireland's strategic oil reserves in the Liffey Valley to make a new race of plastic men.

3.4 million Plastic Paddies were fabricated during this period from a selection of three moulds: the Dub, the Culchie, and the Dulchie. These were exported around the world --mostly to the U.S. and U.K. although some are believed to have floated as far as Tibet. Unfortunately, of those that remained in Ireland, few Plastic Paddies survived the heatwave of 1986.

You should be proud.

BTW, over the next 10 years, keep an eye out for NanoPaddies, Bio-inspired Paddies and Solar-Powered Paddies.

I hope this helps.

• Advertisement

I would prefer a meerkat puppet ...simples (gleek) .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Do other countries have a similar phrase?
    A Paper Pole?
    A Sandy Spainard?
    A Flakey Frenchie?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

a non irish person eg 3rd generation immigrant who acts like the bull macabe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Am I a plastic? Actually reading that back it does look like I am

No, no and no again. You're an Irishman ffs! You come from Irish stock and you have Irish culture pouring out your eyeballs. You're more Irish than most of us born here I'd reckon.

A plastic paddy for me is a tourist on Paddies day, who has an Irish great, great, great grandfather and thus claims to be Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

Brummy will you be supporting Ireland in the 2012 European Football Championships?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

never heard the term before :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

For example, I've been called it before.
    Where were you called it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

Kasabian wrote: »
    Brummy will you be supporting Ireland in the 2012 European Football Championships?

Yep
    Doc Ruby wrote: »
    Where were you called it?

Ah quite a few times - school, work, my more English mates

Ah quite a few times - school, work, my more English mates
    The pay outs awarded in English courts for derogatory terms of abuse are quite handsome these days Brum :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

I'm very interested in Irish history...I've applied to do Irish studies.

Glad you steered clear of International Conflict studies. :D

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=72221774&postcount=92

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

--LOS-- wrote: »
    never heard the term before :confused:

Then you must be living in a cave. These threads pop up, about once a month, either here or in the sports forums lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭DColeman

Yep

What happens if Ireland play England?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

DColeman wrote: »
    What happens if Ireland play England?

ireland loses

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

There's a lad I know with an Irish grandad it suits but I prefer supertaig.

Goes on about British oppression of Ireland as if he was personally affected. To prove how Irish he is he goes on sectarian rants about Protestants despite clearly knowing nothing about the troubles.

Its like he assumes Irish people will like him more for this. Some Irish Americans can be like this too. Good example here
    Her ancestors also came from Ireland, she tells us enthusiastically. So she's Irish too. And her husband standing beside her, his several times great-grandfather came over after the famine. He's extremely Irish.

We mention the golf and young McIlroy and say again how proud and impressed we are by his success. And Graeme McDowell, we point out, he too, comes from Northern Ireland ...

"Ireland," the husband corrects us.

Whatever. We're not looking for a debate on the occupied six counties. The point is, we explain, that Northern Ireland - or the North if he prefers - has a very small population to have produced two consecutive winners of such a major championship.

"We don't like them," he suddenly says.

Um, don't like who?

"We don't like McIlroy and McDowell. We don't like them because they're Protestants."

His wife nods in solemn agreement. The other man with them says nothing. But he doesn't look particularly shocked by what's been said.

Read more: http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/opinion/columnists/lindy-mcdowell/why-did-these-yanks-care-what-religion-rory-is-16014636.html#ixzz1f8kIwjRJ

Bill O'Reilly is the plastic paddy epitome imo

this vid shows another cringeworthy individual speaking on behalf of us:rolleyes: 3minutes in http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeS0MHl5xTM

Advertisement