Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pigeons.........

Options
  • 02-06-2011 11:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭

....F****rs :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Hal Emmerich

Why?

I see a few of them flying about this year, prrrrr or coo oooo*, cool sound they make.

*however you spell it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Was away for a few days, came back garden decimated! About 40 cabbage, broccoli cauliflower plants destroyed by two of them.
    Gun aqquired, two pigeons won't be going home tonight, lessons learn't by 3 of us ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

My brussels sprouts plants were disappearing fast and I could figure out why - there were no caterpillars or slugs around them. Then one day I saw a big fat pigeon feasting on them - b****rds!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Was away for a few days, came back garden decimated! About 40 cabbage, broccoli cauliflower plants destroyed by two of them.
    Gun aqquired, two pigeons won't be going home tonight, lessons learn't by 3 of us ;)

Yeah they love the brassica family. Best trick is the shotgun. You can put up a scarecrow or use something like a cable between poles that will generate a noise with the slightest wind but nothing beats the gun except if you have a bird of prey in the area.

I had a problem with pigeons in my glasshouse eating my tomatoes awhile back. They were dining so well they wouldn't leave but then a hawk got in. Pigeon feathers were floating around two days afterwards. I believe pigeon is pretty tasty and yours have dined well.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭wait4me

Don't know if the neighbours, each side and behind, would appreciate the sound of gunfire :eek::eek: never mind the holes created by the slugs :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Get a bird of prey decoy. Something like...

bspurfalconlist.jpg

almost as good as the real ting which does this...

sparrowhawk_kill.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

^^^^Hope he never lands on the roof, big enough to crush it!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Kumsheen

Flying Rats:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3 GapingHeadwound

Happyman42 wrote: »

If the measure of a species is how it treats lesser ones, we fail.

Eat what you kill, people. It's a simple moral code.

If you have a vegetable garden, do know that it's trivial to keep birds out with sticks and netting. People have been doing that for *millenia*.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Hal Emmerich

I use a plastic bag with a hole in the bottom (so it doesn't get weighed down by water) tied to a stick.

Simples.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Nonmonotonic

You shouldn't put a hole in the bag, it takes longer for them to smother! :D

Advertisement