Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

St Patricks Mental Health Hospital

Options
  • 25-05-2015 7:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, I visited my GP today and he has made an urgent referral to me for St Patricks. He didn't specify a diagnosis - I suppose they'll do that there - but it seems to be some sort of psychosis or personality disorder. He is going to get back to me tomorrow when he has gotten information on the availability of beds. He said I'll probably be in there for anything from a few days to a few weeks, and then treated as an out-patient after that.

Anyone know how long the usual waiting time to admission is? And anyone got any personal experiences of the hospital? Also I forgot to ask him ... Do VHI cover everything, including time as an out-patient afterwards? I'm just quite anxious about the whole thing - I know it's certainly what I need, but I'd like to prepare myself with as much detailed information as possible about what to expect. So I'd appreciate anyone's experiences there.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭okatied

Hi,
    I spent 8 weeks in St Pats in Feb/March this year. It really is a nice hospital. Initally you will go to admissions, where they fill in paperwork and take your picture. There are so many different health insurance plans around at the moment so you should check that you are covered. Also, most health insurance cover you for a limited stay in a psychiatriac hospital ie 100 days, or 80 days etc.
    You then get assessed by a psychiatrist (usually a registrar, not a consultant) and they determine your risk level. If you are deemed to be a risk to yourself or others you will be put in the Dean Swift Ward which is a locked ward. If you are very unsafe, you could be put into the Special Care Unit which is more secure. I don't think you're allowed phones, razors, shoelaces in the SCU for obvious reasons.
    If you're not a risk you get put in the ward assigned to you consultant. The amenities are very good in there. They have a gym, pottery room, art room etc. I was there for 8 weeks and 1 day and did the Depression Programme and CBT while I was in there.

Good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭freudiangirl

okatied wrote: »
    Hi,
    I spent 8 weeks in St Pats in Feb/March this year. It really is a nice hospital. Initally you will go to admissions, where they fill in paperwork and take your picture. There are so many different health insurance plans around at the moment so you should check that you are covered. Also, most health insurance cover you for a limited stay in a psychiatriac hospital ie 100 days, or 80 days etc.
    You then get assessed by a psychiatrist (usually a registrar, not a consultant) and they determine your risk level. If you are deemed to be a risk to yourself or others you will be put in the Dean Swift Ward which is a locked ward. If you are very unsafe, you could be put into the Special Care Unit which is more secure. I don't think you're allowed phones, razors, shoelaces in the SCU for obvious reasons.
    If you're not a risk you get put in the ward assigned to you consultant. The amenities are very good in there. They have a gym, pottery room, art room etc. I was there for 8 weeks and 1 day and did the Depression Programme and CBT while I was in there.

Good luck

Am.awaiting admission right now. Referral put in this day last week so.hoping it will be soon. Hoping to do some DBT whilst up there. Playing the waiting game for admission is the hardest part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

Am.awaiting admission right now. Referral put in this day last week so.hoping it will be soon. Hoping to do some DBT whilst up there. Playing the waiting game for admission is the hardest part.

Best of luck in there. From what i hear its a nice place so hope it can benefit you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭neemish

From what i remember, admission to Pats generally takes alot longer than other hospitals. But the services once you're in the door are brilliant, and worth the wait if you can at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭okatied

Have you got a bed yet? Hope its going well...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 pracky2k10

I came in today. I've been here a few times but it's still strange to be back. Just feeling a bit lost. I'm v shy so I find it hard to talk to anyone! Hope you guys are doing a bit better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 LfcFan29

Hi guys I'm set for an appointed in two weeks but I'm not insured so I'm going to the dean clinic . And it will be €150 per appointment after my assessment.. so just to ask would the dean clinic be just as good as if I was staying there for some weeks like others have that are insured? I was going publicly for nearly ten years . I never found it any good what so ever .. even though I'm not staying over night etc .. will the dean clinic be just as intense treatment ?
    Thanks

Advertisement