Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IACT courses

Options
  • 02-02-2015 6:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭

Are IACT recognized or would they be a waste of time.
    I want to do a web development one, would it be worth it ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Talisman

I wouldn't think so. I did two of their courses through work some years ago and was glad I wasn't footing the bill. The C++ course was essentially reading the Deitel & Deitel C++ How To Program book which was provided as the course material and working through some of the exercises. The Java course was very basic and upon completion we were told that we should be able to take the Sun Certification test and pass. Everybody who attended the courses received their certificate at the end - It was definitely a case of ticking a box to satisfy a HR requirement.

I wouldn't imagine any of their courses being any different, they will give you a basic level of competency in the subject matter and a piece of paper to say you completed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Talisman wrote: »
    I wouldn't think so. I did two of their courses through work some years ago and was glad I wasn't footing the bill. The C++ course was essentially reading the Deitel & Deitel C++ How To Program book which was provided as the course material and working through some of the exercises. The Java course was very basic and upon completion we were told that we should be able to take the Sun Certification test and pass. Everybody who attended the courses received their certificate at the end - It was definitely a case of ticking a box to satisfy a HR requirement.

I wouldn't imagine any of their courses being any different, they will give you a basic level of competency in the subject matter and a piece of paper to say you completed it.

Its no use to me then. I am doing a computer application course in college, a higher cert. But there is only 2/3 web design modules. I'm looking for a course to really help me become a very good front end web designer if you have any recommendations.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Talisman

Have you considered a mentorship program? Thinkful.com is based in the U.S. but gets good reviews: Thinkful Review: Learn Coding with Mentors. The frontend and design courses are $300 per month which might be a bit steep for a student but you'd get a lot out of it.

Advertisement