Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

17" MacBook Pro Has Arrived

• 24-04-2006 2:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭

Linky

2929 Euro what a bargain ;)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 180 ✭✭IrishEmperor

2929 Euro what a bargain ;)

and $2799 in US .. thats €2263 when converted .. thats €666 in the difference!!!

(Granted if you buy it in New York thats 8% on top. However states like Oregon and Montana have 0% sales tax... & theres probably a few more with little or none.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

You're comparing the inc. VAT price here with the ex. VAT (or Sales Tax, or whatever it's called there) price in the US. It's Eur 2,420.66 ex VAT here which isn't massively more than 2,263 in fairness.

..my post wasnt a long one; did you not read the second line of it?
    Dr_Teeth wrote:
    You're comparing the inc. VAT price here with the ex. VAT (or Sales Tax, or whatever it's called there) price in the US. It's Eur 2,420.66 ex VAT here which isn't massively more than 2,263 in fairness.
    states like Oregon and Montana have 0% sales tax... & theres probably a few more with little or none

Dr_Teeth wrote:
    It's Eur 2,420.66 ex VAT here which isn't massively more than 2,263 in fairness.
    Unless your gonna buy it through your own company, or that of a friend or relative (which is probably only a minority of people) your gonna pay Irish VAT. Therefore Irish price ex-VAT isnt relevant to most people. Meanwhile, you can buy Apple products tax-free in some US states and that difference of approx €666 is more than enough to buy return flights, dinner and extra RAM.

(even with tax from say New York @ 8% its comes to €2444 [€485 price diff]):
      [*]anybody know if you can claim back the tax when your flying out?
      [*]or if they have any dutyfree shops in NYC?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

Unless your gonna buy it through your own company, or that of a friend or relative (which is probably only a minority of people) your gonna pay Irish VAT. Therefore Irish price ex-VAT isnt relevant to most people. Meanwhile, you can buy Apple products tax-free in some US states and that difference of approx €666 is more than enough to buy return flights, dinner and extra RAM.

(even with tax from say New York @ 8% its comes to €2444 [€485 price diff]):

To buy it through a company Ex VAT, you have to rely on a willing party to get you one, which is not always as easy as it sounds as you say.

With getting one in the States, do bear in mind that you may be stopped by Customs albeit not all that likely. If you are, you will be liable for Excise and VAT on the cost price of the product AND the carraige of same. So be careful in case you get stung this way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Scráib

One thing I've noticed about the macbooks (and powerbooks too): They're huge!

I've a 15 inch Macbook Pro and its really really big! Back around Christmas I was going to buy a 17" Powerbook. Now I'm glad I didn't! If the 15" is big then the 17" must be a truly massive machine. Not the most practical size unless you're a professional I guess.

• Advertisement
      • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭savemejebus

I think that the best way to take advantage of the us price is book a reputable hotel in new jersey (can be done on hotwire for like €60 a night). The week before you go, order your mac from BHphotovideo.com or jr.com and get it delivered to the hotel. Because the hotel would be in New Jersey, you won't get charged sales tax from these shops (they don't have branches there). Then fly to newark with continental (really cheap), check in and pick up your package and then have a short break ( eat out, see the sights etc) and fly home with your macbook the next day (or however long you want to stay)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Hey - I'd like one of those babies!! Bought a 15" PowerBook last August. Bummer. Next year I'll go MacBook..........

What you said in your post is irrelevant, it isn't Apple's fault that the Irish Government adds 21% onto the price of their products. If you can find a way to avoid paying the tax then more power to you..

Dr_Teeth wrote:
          What you said in your post is irrelevant, it isn't Apple's fault that the Irish Government adds 21% onto the price of their products. If you can find a way to avoid paying the tax then more power to you..

It might be irrelevant to you, but not to most of the people I know.
          We do get charged plenty of VAT: thats the point.
          You seem to be connected with a small firm {amergin.ie?} with which you can get these tax-free.."more power to you".
          However, even without tax: youre still paying more than you would in many states in America.
          You lose, good day sir!

(and what you also need to take into account are all th extras being cheaper too: applecare, extra RAM[granted its still cheaper from Crucial], carrycase, software[if buying it is your thing :)])

Ok, you continue to complain about Irish taxation if you like.. though perhaps the Mac forum isn't the best place to do it. You're new here so I'll give you some advice: linking such retarded websites in your arguments is neither big nor clever, and we don't care what computers you own.

• Advertisement

Dr_Teeth wrote:
          Ok, you continue to complain about Irish taxation if you like.. though perhaps the Mac forum isn't the best place to do it.
          The first post on this thread and my posts which followed it were about the price of this new apple product. You were the one who wanted to focus on VAT in your first 2 posts and then in your third your recommended that this isnt the best place to discuss it? (Incedently, I dont need your advice on what I should post or assumptions on how other people feel about them.)

Compared with the 2.16Ghz 15.4" (same price!?) the 17" would clearly seem to be better value; but I'm from the school of thought that thinks laptops are supposed to be portable (and thus 13/15" is enough) and would rather spend the difference on upgrading the conroe chip and graphics card of a new macintel tower (VAT or no VAT :D ).
          Patience is a virtue: Merom and Leopard arent that many months away.

Advertisement